Washing Machine and Dryer?

TheBteam

Hi folks

Well the shipping company are here from next Weds packing us up and we set off on 28th!! With the end of term, Christmas festivities, work and fitting in meet ups and nights out with family friends its all very surreal and chaotic. On top of this, the manic steaming, scrubbing, disinfecting (and probably a heavy dose of zoflora fumes) has me panicking that i will forget to clean something properly.

Which brings me onto the washer & dryer. Did anyone ship these? Is it worth it? Im worried i cant get in behind the filter and drawers to get them spotless, similar issue cleaning inside the connection hoses. The assessor from the shipping company was keen for us to take them but i wondered if anyone else had taken them with them? Is is worth it? Did you have any problems?

Currently scrubbing our way through the toolboxes!

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

Sarah

Hi folks

Well the shipping company are here from next Weds packing us up and we set off on 28th!! With the end of term, Christmas festivities, work and fitting in meet ups and nights out with family friends its all very surreal and chaotic. On top of this, the manic steaming, scrubbing, disinfecting (and probably a heavy dose of zoflora fumes) has me panicking that i will forget to clean something properly.

Which brings me onto the washer & dryer. Did anyone ship these? Is it worth it? Im worried i cant get in behind the filter and drawers to get them spotless, similar issue cleaning inside the connection hoses. The assessor from the shipping company was keen for us to take them but i wondered if anyone else had taken them with them? Is is worth it? Did you have any problems?

Currently scrubbing our way through the toolboxes!

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer.

Sarah

Hi ,

if it's a combo wash/dryer then no, if a washer maybe, but no you do not need to take your dryer, you simply don't need one 49 weeks of the year, there may be a spell where it rains constantly for 7 days, but that's rare and the humiditys is lower than 20% i n adelaide so no need.

sell and buy a front loader washer only when you get to adelaide, more room to pack something you can't replace into your container!

ignore what the assessor says, you can get a bosch 8kg bulletproof front loader for about 500 dollars, so 250 gbp, and we should know with kids we've gone through x3 washers over 10 years :)

and no cleaning hoses, run a vinegar wash in the UK a day or so before sale, and get rid of it!

We didn't ship. We bought over here. Still don't have a dryer in fact and its been over 2 years. Even if we did have one I'm not sure I'd use it more than a dozen times a year. We have a big undercover area and a huge garage to hang clothes out in wet or colder weather plus the clothes line and airers.

Thanks for the replies. I think we will just leave them behind for the tenant moving into our house then. Im not sure i can quite get my head round no dryer yet The 6 of us can churn out a fair amount of washing and bedding to dry.

Thanks again

On a hot day bedding is dry in 20 minutes. Its the colder damper days it'll take longer. But if you've got spare sets and stuff its fine. I just hang ours up in the garage or on the line on a warm winters day and its fine.

I think there must be something wrong with me!

I love my dryer!! Sure, I don't use it in the summer, but in winter I use it to dry clothes - and warm the house at the same time (well, part of it lol!). The kids used to like me popping their jamies in before bedtime, and when my daughter left home, her biggest dream was to have one!

It took us three years before we bought our daughter one as a present, during which time she would bring stuff she needed drying back to us. We paid less than $300 from the Harvey Norman's factory seconds place in Mile End.

Maybe I'm just living up to my name lol!

LC

Haha i think thats why i might need some convincing to strike the dryer off the list LC :huh: I use it all the time! And probably once a day or so for towels. I hate having the clothes airers everywhere so cant get my head round not needing one. Will be more that happy to be converted and convinced to ditch it though as they are not exactly the most economical piece of kit in the kitchen!

We brought our washing machine with us because we'd only replaced it about 4 months before we left. I've never had a dryer so didn't have to make that choice but it's not often a problem here. I suppose it depends on what accommodation you'll be in - if you can wait for your container to arrive, I'd save myself the money of a new washer but if you're going to need one as soon as you arrive then you might as well leave it behind.

We brought our washing machine a and dryer with us. I hardly used the dryer in the UK and I hardly used it here but would sometimes resort to it in winter. It lived in the garage in the rental but when we moved in to the house we built we decided it didn't fit in the garage so we sold it. We have recently had to replace the washing machine as it was contaminated with sewage in a flood (long story) and spent over $1k on a 7.5kg Bosch front loader. For acurate current prices of white goods here have a look on sites like appliancesonline.com.au or harveynorman.com.au.

Haha i think thats why i might need some convincing to strike the dryer off the list LC :huh: I use it all the time!

Just to add... I never had a dryer in the UK! And I still don't have a dishwasher ( I am the dishie lol!).

From the the sound of it, I am SO in the minority, I'd listen to everyone else, get rid of it, and see how you go.

If you can deal with any withdrawal symptoms and panic, that is :huh::biglaugh:!

In my defence, it wasn't just me that loved my dryer, one of our besties used to send his son over to use the dryer every so often! Which means my dryer was a community thing :wink:.

I brought a big speedqueen washer and dryer with me but that was only because of cost and exchange rate (they were half the price). I didn't take into consideration the cost of electricity here though!

In hindsight I wouldn't bring anything. You can get a range of machines starting at around $500 for a front loader (I have 9 Samsung front loaders...quite bulletproof!) and around $350 for a dryer.

I found the winter during 2015 to be horrid and the dryer was used quite a lot.

For less than $1000 for both you could get new machines, extended warranties for 4 extra years and no issue with models, parts, breakdowns....

Haha i think thats why i might need some convincing to strike the dryer off the list LC :huh: I use it all the time! And probably once a day or so for towels. I hate having the clothes airers everywhere so cant get my head round not needing one. Will be more that happy to be converted and convinced to ditch it though as they are not exactly the most economical piece of kit in the kitchen!

Pretty much every house has a laundry (that often is bigger than the average kitchen in the UK :cute: ) and dryers can sit in them easy enough. But also I can fit a clothes airer with ease in ours. And outside the line is big (often people have huge Hills hoists here or big racks you can attach to a wall that fold down) or like us can use the garage if wet. Or under the veranda out back an airer can go. I often put stuff out there as it dries really quick on even the cooler summer days.

Towels line dried here are fab IMHO. No fabric conditioner and line dried makes them nice and crisp and far more absorbent than if having a tumble. I give them a good shake before folding away and they are lovely to use.

I only wish for a dryer when I forget to wash something till the last minute and want it in a hurry to wear out but then I just settle on something different to wear. Its happened maybe 3 or 4 times since we moved here. Now I am well in the routine of not having a dryer its been fine :)

Edited by snifter
added a line

Will depend where you live. We have a smallish laundry and brought our washer and dryer. Only have a deck and cannot put a decent sized rack anywhere as needs to be under cover as trees and birds drop on it. Two cars and several bikes in the garage means that can only take an aired. So in winter I do use the dryer for bedding, in summer I can fold it and put it on the aired and it still dries easily. Only use it for emergencies otherwise.

I noticed that some places we looked at ( near the city ) didn't always have space for washer dryer side by side. Common to stack them here but ours would not work as couldn't reach controls and I can't invert it as it has a condenser.

I noticed that some places we looked at ( near the city ) didn't always have space for washer dryer side by side. Common to stack them here but ours would not work as couldn't reach controls and I can't invert it as it has a condenser.

When stacking the dryer on top of the washing machine, I've noticed most people turn their dryers upside down so they can reach the controls with ease. My MIL and a number of friends all do this with theirs.

I can't do that with mine though as it is a condenser, the water goes to a container at the bottom and I empty it onto the plants. Gravity means this would leak water back into the machine if I turned it upside down. They don't have condensers here or even seem to vent dryers.

not an issue where we are at the moment though.