Gutter Guard

NicF

Has anyone had gutter guard installed on their home? We are thinking about getting it as there are a lot of trees around us and our gutters always seem to be full of leaves but we are not sure if it is worth the cost or not. If anyone can recommend a place that installs it or has any comments about whether it's worth doing I'd be happy to hear them.

Nic,

I've used gutter guards in the past with some benefit

If I refitted them, i.m.h.o. I'd do it myself using the "Hedgehog" type that fit into the gutters. They look like mammoth bristly pipe cleaners and can be bought in 2 m lengths from places like Banner and Mitre 10 Hardware.

-Much easier to fit.......and here's the thing: sooner or later you will want to lift the gutter guard and give the gutters a real good flush.

This is much easier with the Hedgehog type.

JB :swoon:

We had some fitted on our rental property, still needed to have leaves cleared from gulleys though. In the end after a few years we had it removed on advice of handyman as easier to clean it all out at one go and getting a cleaner result. This did matter for using rainwater to flush toilet as result was much cleaner, once we had flushed out the system.

We do have guard on the place we are now and it seems to work OK but leaves still need to be cleaned of the top of it!

We used a gutter cleaning company (Gutter sweep) who cleaned our gutters every 6 months in our old house with a lot of tree litter. This was a good option as it wasn't expensive and we would have had years worth of cleaning done for the cost of gutter guard. They cleaned the whole roof as well as the gutters and also the paved areas around the house, so the whole place got a regular good clean up. They very efficiently contacted us when our time was due, meaning we didn't have to think about it and remember to book them.

Previously we had gutter guard that was clogged and caused collapse of our bathroom ceiling. It had probably been there for years before we bought the house and hadn't realised it was clogged up.

Hi,

Do you mind sharing how much this service cost? We're looking at getting this done so would be interested to know.

We used a gutter cleaning company (Gutter sweep) who cleaned our gutters every 6 months in our old house with a lot of tree litter. This was a good option as it wasn't expensive and we would have had years worth of cleaning done for the cost of gutter guard. They cleaned the whole roof as well as the gutters and also the paved areas around the house, so the whole place got a regular good clean up. They very efficiently contacted us when our time was due, meaning we didn't have to think about it and remember to book them.

Previously we had gutter guard that was clogged and caused collapse of our bathroom ceiling. It had probably been there for years before we bought the house and hadn't realised it was clogged up.

• 5 months later...
Hey NicF, did you end up getting any gutter guards installed? We’re considering it and have been looking at a few options:

www.allseasonsgutters.com.au

www.roofsa.com.au

www.aussiegutterprotection.com.au

We did get it installed in the end by a place called Leafshield Gutter Protection. We got three quotes and they were the cheapest and most professional of all the places that came. The guy that fitted them was very good and did an excellent job as far as we can tell and cleaned up after himself really well as well. They installed a number of inspection points so that should we need to we can access the gutter for maintenance and cleaning.