Moving in 2017

darbyshire

Hi we have just started applying for our visa we are just finishing the skills assessment. We are hoping to make the move to Adelaide early 2017 is anyone else looking to maie the move at a similar time? Thought it would be nice to share the experience with any other families, there is myself, my husband son who will be 12 when we move and 2 daughters who will be 10 and 8.

Good luck with your visa and move.We are looking to move over towards the end of 2017. We are a family of 4 , my wife I and my 2 daughters who will be 11 and 8 have just completed the visa process and are looking forward to our move.if we can help with anything let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Let's keep stay connected, I am in the final processing stage of my 190 visa (completed medical 2 weeks ago).

I am looking to move to Adelaide in 2017 or mid 2017. I will be moving there first and my fiancee will be joining me once I have settled down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hay me and my wife are moving in September next year hopefully. Iam a roofer and just getting my TRA skills assessment forms together at the moment all very exiting sometimes think we are crazy but hay. Hopefully my step daughter will be coming but she is undecided SHES 17 !!

• 2 weeks later...
Hay me and my wife are moving in September next year hopefully. Iam a roofer and just getting my TRA skills assessment forms together at the moment all very exiting sometimes think we are crazy but hay. Hopefully my step daughter will be coming but she is undecided SHES 17 !!

I have been in that situation.

My daughter was 16 when we arrived. We couldn't even mention Australia in front of her without her going ballistic! I ended up getting her a return ticket. She did leave (twice) but has thankfully returned, bought a house in the same suburb as me, and is settled now.

I really think that it must be easier to arrive with younger children. I arrived with 3 teenagers.

My regret is not moving 10 years earlier when I had the opportunity. Teenagers can struggle to meet new friends depending upon how late in their teens they are. Training like TAFE, and work does change that though and useful forums where maybe you can meet up with people in the same boat does provide another opportunity to meet people...:smile:

Good luck with it all. Whatever you do, make sure your step daughter goes on the application and validates her visa so she at least has options for the next few years. If she doesn't get a visa now while dependant and so on, if she changes her mind and wants a visa in a few years to move over, she may well find she is unable to and there are no visa options open to her.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi we have just started applying for our visa we are just finishing the skills assessment. We are hoping to make the move to Adelaide early 2017 is anyone else looking to maie the move at a similar time? Thought it would be nice to share the experience with any other families, there is myself, my husband son who will be 12 when we move and 2 daughters who will be 10 and 8.

Hi darbyshire,

We too are in the process of getting our skill assessment done. We are waiting for the results and hoping to get them anytime soon. We too are planning to move to Adelaide early 2017. Will be moving with my husband and 2 kids aged 7yr and 11 months. I'm just being positive about the skill assessment as we have sent it to AIM and I've heard they are a tough assessing body. Fingers and toes crossed! hoping for the best! Keep in touch :).

• 1 month later...

I've just (last week) received a job offer with sponsorship. I will be coming as soon as we have the visa (187) but have no idea how long they take to process(hoping by Feb 2017). I will be working in marleston and will be coming with oh and 13yo daughter.. possibly 17yo son (undecided), 13yo stepson and 11yo stepdaughter. They will all go on visa regardless if they want to come now or in the future.

Have no idea on the best areas to look for property to rent short/long term to accommodate the needs of the family.

I've just (last week) received a job offer with sponsorship. I will be coming as soon as we have the visa (187) but have no idea how long they take to process(hoping by Feb 2017). I will be working in marleston and will be coming with oh and 13yo daughter.. possibly 17yo son (undecided), 13yo stepson and 11yo stepdaughter. They will all go on visa regardless if they want to come now or in the future.

Have no idea on the best areas to look for property to rent short/long term to accommodate the needs of the family.

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Hopefully the visa process runs smoothly for you. I don't know the timelines for the 187 I'm afraid.

Good all the kids are going to go on the visa application. For all of them it is vitally important they all validate their visa once granted though. Else it'll be useless to them in the future should they wish to make the move or return.

Suggest you post new threads on the forum (we have various sections for different things) and ask any questions in those as things like asking for rental advice will get lost in this thread. Also some people who may reply might not see it otherwise.

Thank you snifer

We didn't realise they all had to come out to activate their visa just assumed we activated them all at the time we enter .

If you are all moving out once the visa is granted its fine as that will validate the visas for those moving then. But if some are not moving then they will still need to come over and validate within a set timeframe to then move over at a later date iirc.

Any Electricians in this batch coming over? Make sure you got a nice little amount to sit on... Now the Hospital is pretty much wrapped up established electricians whom are born and bred Aussie have been out of work since December. Think about the move to Adelaide wisely. I receive txt messages daily asking if I know who's taking on.

Hi we too are hoping to move out in August/September time 2017. Just the three of us myself my husband and my 6 year old son, the two eldest we are hoping will follow us so at least we are all in the same country, we are knocking on now so it was our last chance to get back to Adelaide. Good Luck to you all with everything. Hopefully we can all meet up. The last time we came there was a big meet up on the beach and people on here were really friendly and helpful in person too .

Edited by soccer65

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Were just in the early stages of getting things together before submitting my husbands skills visa (he's a joiner). Hoping to move out back end of 2017 if we can. Have a 3yr old daughter. Will love to meet up with others who have moved over!

Quicj question: did you use a migration agent for your skills visa?

Hi Naomi

We havent used a migration agent as we didnt last time during our sponsorship, that said, we are anxious that everything is going to go to plan. We have logged and paid for the skilled visa and will feel so much better when a case worker gets in touch with us so at least we can just give him /her what they ask for. I just didnt want to pay for somebody to do a job that we could do ourselves. Good Luck with yours

Lisa

Any Electricians in this batch coming over? Make sure you got a nice little amount to sit on... Now the Hospital is pretty much wrapped up established electricians whom are born and bred Aussie have been out of work since December. Think about the move to Adelaide wisely. I receive txt messages daily asking if I know who's taking on.

Perhaps people need to look further out away from the city or consider self employed rather than contracts? I am throwing this out there as I know a couple of electricians who are self employed who live well away from metropolitan Adelaide who are flat out and have been for a while now, have hired other people and who some weeks are working 7 days a week they have so much work on. I'm not saying this is the norm but they have not relied on the hospital work or contracts in the city for themselves and have opted to go work for themselves in the past couple of years and built up their own businesses.

Not saying its a solution for everyone or a magic fix or anything close to that but it may be that looking into self employed work is worthwhile if employed work isn't happening or doesn't happen early on. I realise their are costs with being self employed but it is something prospective migrants could look into before migrating and keep it in mind for the future if they feel that going self employed is something to consider.

Prospective migrants wouldn't be able to work self employed or would find it difficult to work on ABN due to the fact that the new migrant would be without an electrical licence.

Are not all migrants in the same boat with the electrical licence and needing to gain it before they can seek employment? Other than be an apprentice?

I get the point you make, fair comment, but if/when someone does gain their electrical licence they could work self employed then if they wished could they not? An ABN is not difficult to get and although there would be outlay in going self employed, if someone wanted to go that route and had planned/prepared for various outcomes when planning their move, it would be something they could do if they wanted.

Perhaps the people I know are different in that they didn't work on the RAH and chose to move from employed to self employed and focused on and built up their own local business in the past couple of years. I appreciate its not for everyone and its not without risk but its going ok for them and they are working. I don't know how the Aussie would be faring if he hadn't gone self employed, nor the Brit, but both are doing well for themselves now.

And of course, not everyone can or will go self employed and people will continue to seek employment in a market that is probably rather saturated at present off the back of the big RAH build. Perhaps some of those from out of state or here on temp visas or even SS may move interstate for work and to live (as you have done). I hope the job market evens out a little in the coming months as some head elsewhere and others find work where they are looking locally.