Travel insurance and money/cards to use in the UK

Hi,

I have to go back to the UK for a short visit. I thought I had free insurance cover with my credit card but apparently it's the 'wrong' type. Anybody got any recommendations for travel insurance?

Also, I was just planning using my key card or credit card back there. I'm not planning on really spending when I'm there but my wife may have other ideas. What do most people view as they cheapest/safest option?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Cooler

We always use STA for travel insurance. Never found them overpriced for our needs. Husband used them back in his student days and then stuck with them when he moved to the UK with me and we've used them ever since.

Depends on the exchange rate and the fees on a credit card.

You could get one of those pre paid cards? I know my father in law and his family did this when they came over to visit us. They could use it at ATM's, in shops etc iirc. They mostly withdrew cash from ATM's as they felt they'd spend less actual money then :cute: But am not sure how well this actually panned out :tongue:

We always use STA for travel insurance. Never found them overpriced for our needs. Husband used them back in his student days and then stuck with them when he moved to the UK with me and we've used them ever since.

Depends on the exchange rate and the fees on a credit card.

You could get one of those pre paid cards? I know my father in law and his family did this when they came over to visit us. They could use it at ATM's, in shops etc iirc. They mostly withdrew cash from ATM's as they felt they'd spend less actual money then :cute: But am not sure how well this actually panned out :tongue:

Very helpful, thank you.

Yes, thought about a travel money card; think we will use one

Cheers,

Cooler

I will be going to the UK later this year.

I have a Qantas cash card that can be loaded with currency.

I also have credit cards but there's a horrid overseas transaction fee with every purchase.

I have registered with Commonwealth bank and have been issued with a travel insurance certificate for all travelers in our party. It didn't cost anything and allows different levels of cover to be purchased above their free cover.

Hi,

I have to go back to the UK for a short visit. I thought I had free insurance cover with my credit card but apparently it's the 'wrong' type. Anybody got any recommendations for travel insurance?

Also, I was just planning using my key card or credit card back there. I'm not planning on really spending when I'm there but my wife may have other ideas. What do most people view as they cheapest/safest option?

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Cooler

Double check with your credit card provider ,did they say why it's wrong ? I have Citibank and as long as the journey started and ended in Oz we were covered ( did have to use it once after a bag snatch )

Do check out prepaid cards or low fee cards or you will pay a lot to withdraw or use a card I think it's Westpac allows free withdrawals from Barclays but check on that one

Amother way would be if you have rellies in the UK transfer your spends in one hit to their account then withdraw when in the UK that way there is only one transfer fee

If you are buying travel insurance check out Canstar.com.au for info on what the different policies include. I think there is information on pricing there as well, but if not have a look on comparethemarket.com.au to get an idea of what the price range you are looking at is. We used Southern Cross for our trip back to the UK in December and the time before that we used 1Cover. Only cost about $200 for a family of four for three weeks each time.

Can't comment on the currency thing though as I've got a bank account in the UK that had enough UK pounds in it for the last two trips, although I did use the Post Office for some additional cash to take with us.

Yes we just use our UK bank account. But when travelling elsewhere we often use a pre paid card from Caxton. Free to use in cash points ( unless the ATM itself charges, which they do in the USA) and at point of sale. Exchange rate is good too.

as with all cards do check the charges, some charge for cash withdrawal etc.

We also still use our UK credit card from Nationwide as it has no foreign use fees.

Check with the insurance what it covers as some will offer hire car excess cover which is good if you are planning to hire a car.

We have a BankWest Platinum credit card which was recommended on the ABC program The Checkout, see article below. You receive free travel insurance (including car hire excess) and I am a 'terms and conditions person' and the travel insurance is comparable/better than travel insurance policies we have previously taken out. There are no foreign transaction fees. We saved a fortune with this card in insurance and credit card fees when we were back in the UK/Europe. You also get additional warranties on goods you purchase on the card and price guarantees, see info below.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/money/2014/08/13/whats-best-way-take-money-overseas/

http://www.bankwest.com.au/personal/credit-cards/compare-credit-cards/zero-mastercard-no-annual-fee-credit-cards