Ambulance cover

Mazza227

This is something I should have looked into by now really, but been busy sorting everything else out. Anyway, I am aware that ambulance cover is not covered by Medicare so we need to get insurance for this. Do we need to take out cover for our kids too are are under 18's covered by Medicare?

Also can anyone recommend any companies to use/or indeed not use for this cover please?

We have always used SA ambulance for stand alone cover. They are the provider, so we reckoned they would be the easiest to use. Their cover is comprehensive and you can get the brochure from any Post Office or just phone them. Also, if you go with another fund, just make sure you are covered for all call outs, not only emergency calls.

$155 for Family Cover with SA Ambulance - http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx

Be warned, cover with most Insurance Companies only covers for Emergency transport, ie Lights and Sirens response and no cover for Patient Transport ( if you need to go to hospital for an appointment and need an ambulance to get you there). If you don't have Ambulance cover it's something you seriously need to consider as Emergency Ambulance call out is over $800 !!!!!

$155 for Family Cover with SA Ambulance - http://www.saambulance.com.au/ProductsServices/AmbulanceCover.aspx

Be warned, cover with most Insurance Companies only covers for Emergency transport, ie Lights and Sirens response and no cover for Patient Transport ( if you need to go to hospital for an appointment and need an ambulance to get you there). If you don't have Ambulance cover it's something you seriously need to consider as Emergency Ambulance call out is over $800 !!!!!

I just checked mine and Health Partners extras covers emergency and none emergency ambulance, which I assume means we would be covered for all necessary ambulance usage.

OP you don't need ambulance insurance but it could be very costly if you ever have an ambulance called out for you (and remember it may not be up to you - if the kids hurt themselves and school and the school decide an ambulance is necessary you would still be liable to pay for it). If you are considering getting any kind of health cover (extras or hospital) then ambulance may be covered under that. However, as above, check the policy covers more than just emergency ambulance.

I just checked mine and Health Partners extras covers emergency and none emergency ambulance, which I assume means we would be covered for all necessary ambulance usage.

OP you don't need ambulance insurance but it could be very costly if you ever have an ambulance called out for you (and remember it may not be up to you - if the kids hurt themselves and school and the school decide an ambulance is necessary you would still be liable to pay for it). If you are considering getting any kind of health cover (extras or hospital) then ambulance may be covered under that. However, as above, check the policy covers more than just emergency ambulance.

Wouldn't schools be covered themselves for calling and ambulance ( just curious really )

I worked for the larger retail stores and if anyone took ill or had an accident either customers or staff the stores footed the bill