Flying with a 22 month old! What are we letting ourselves in for!

Hi Everyone,

We flew back from Adelaide last April and our LO was only 7 months old then...the first leg wasnt too bad as he was smaller enough to fit into the Bassinet Emirates provided. The second flight....oh my word... he wasnt a happy little boy but we got through it!!

Anyway...fast forward to today. Were due to fly back to Adelaide in a few months and starting to feel abit anxious about it. Our LO will be too big to fit into the bassinet. Were thinking of getting a seat for him??

Basically..were looking for as many tips possible to try and make this journey as pleasant as it can be.

Cheers

Nat & Gaz

I highly recommend a seat. We flew when my youngest was a similar age and booked a seat and it made things so much easier. They might not sit in it very often but it gives you more space to move and put your stuff.

Thats my thoughts exactly. Its certainly worth paying for if its going to help. I keep telling myself...what will be will be...its only 24 hours to get through :err:

Hmm, we flew with Qantas and BA when our son was 22 months old (and a fair chunk he was then too :cute:) and we booked bassinet for the flight from LHR to Adelaide. Priority is given to the younger babies etc if on board for those seats but all flights, we had the bulkhead and the bassinet seat. We were lucky as they upgraded a woman sat next to us and so there was a spare seat. Baby with father in the other one who used the bassinet. So son went on to the spare seat the LHR to Singapore leg (and fell out of it twice while asleep for 8 hours). Singapore to Adelaide we had a bassinet again and lo, he fitted in it. His legs curled up a bit but he was happy and conked out again. On the way back he had to go on our laps for the long Singapore to LHR leg and it was a bit of an effort but not horrible.

We book overnight flights out of London when we fly to Adelaide. Only so that son is tired and will conk out regardless of where it is. Now he is a bit older and in his own seat we still book the night flight and have another night flight out of Singapore.

It could go either way. Our son during the times when he was awake during the flight (when aged 22 months) was not sat down. He was up and down the aisle, moving around and one of us was always on the go with him. Glad we didn't pay for a seat for him then tbh but I can get why it appeals to people and they do book it. As we had use of one for one long leg it was lovely but son did manage to fall out of it twice and we had to scoop him up off the floor and put him back in. He didn't really wake though :cute:

I do the usual sleep signs if flying at night. Got son into PJ's while waiting to board at 10pm. Gave him a warm milk and rocked him while in the queue to board, popped him in his sleeping bag. Got on board, I sat down and kept rocking son to keep him calm and put our seatbelts on etc. By the time we had taken off and the seatbelt sign went off he was sound asleep. Hubby dealt with the hand luggage and all that and it was fine.

If it makes you happier getting him a seat, go for it. You may not get much use out of it but at least you'll have it. We don't mind having a little person on our laps or being up moving with them so never forked out for a seat. Its hard work but for us our son was such an insanely active toddler we didn't know any different anyways :unsure:

Do you have to pay for a seat to get the bassinet?

No, you request/book the bulkhead seat when you book and pay a small charge for an under 2 not taking up a seat. I think under 2's without a seat only get 10kg baggage also usually. Then it will depend on the day as to how many U2's are on board and if there are more than there are bassinets (only 2 per bulkhead row of 4 seats) then priority is given to the youngest first. So older babies or a toddler will be seated elsewhere with their parent(s).

Some flights there are loads of U2's and its younger babies get the bassinets. Others with older ones who may have booked ore requested a bulkhead get shifted elsewhere. We've been lucky flying long haul when son was small and always got a bassinet even when he was a bit older as there were not that many small ones on the flight.

Thats interesting Snifter, our little boy is petite but thought he would be over the weight limit for bassinets. Something to think about so thanks for that. I was thinking the same about how he might fall off the seat! Really not sure whether to or not!

Weve been looking at Emirates & Singapore. Flown with both and been happy with both although i much prefer Singapore airport than Dubai. Singapore has such a tranquil feel to it....saying that i doubt it will be tranquil with a 22 month old ha.

We need to look at the flight times and see whats best. Ideally we want to fly from Manchester but could do Heathrow.

When we first flew to Australia we had an 20 month old and an 8 month old; we flew with BA and had the bassinet booked for both of them - the older one had a bouncer seat thing rather than a cot-style and although they were useful to be able to put them to sleep we had to remove them every time the seatbelt sign came on which was a huge pain but having the extra leg space of the bulkhead was great for giving them space to play on the floor.

If you're happy enough to pay for the seat for him then I probably would; whether he uses it or not you've still got the space to spread around a bit more and if you book a row of 3 (if there are any?) then there'll be no-one else to disturb you.

Thats interesting Snifter' date=' our little boy is petite but thought he would be over the weight limit for bassinets. Something to think about so thanks for that. I was thinking the same about how he might fall off the seat! Really not sure whether to or not!

Weve been looking at Emirates & Singapore. Flown with both and been happy with both although i much prefer Singapore airport than Dubai. Singapore has such a tranquil feel to it....saying that i doubt it will be tranquil with a 22 month old ha.

We need to look at the flight times and see whats best. Ideally we want to fly from Manchester but could do Heathrow.[/quote']

We much prefer the Singapore route (and airline) over Dubai. We plan it so we have a 4 hour or thereabouts stop at Changi, hit the swimming pool, shower, relax, let the little one play in one of the soft plays and get some fresh air. I went through Dubai last July travelling with my son and it was a IMHO horrible airport to transit in with a child. My son was fab but we had to walk a long way both ways to get from the plane to the departures. No trains running. After 13 hours on a plane with little sleep I was not a happy camper. Plus I had to lug son's hand luggage also as he found it too much trekking so far when tired and pulling that. Didn't find the staff I had dealings with at Dubai very helpful either. And the main departure terminal was manically busy. Give me Changi anyday :cute: Calmer, sky trains running, lots for kids and adults to do and I think far more pleasant.

Bassinet info from Emirates site

Baby bassinets

If you’d like a baby bassinet, you can request one in the Passenger details section when you make a booking on our website, or by calling your local Emirates office.

Whilst our bassinets are designed for babies up to two years old, you may need to check the size restrictions to ensure your baby will fit safely. Our bassinets are approximately 75 x 33 x 22 cm (29.5 x 13 x 8.8 inches) in size and can hold babies weighing up to 11kg (24.2lb).

Unfortunately if your baby weighs more than 11kg, or doesn’t fit safely in to the bassinet, the cabin crew will not be able to provide one.

You can carry a child up to two years old on your lap, or you can book a seat for them. If you book a seat, you’ll need to pay a child’s fare and fit an approved car seat.

Using car seats

You can use an infant car seat on the flight. However, you’ll need to book a separate seat and pay a child’s fare.

When you check in, Airport Services will make sure your car seat is approved for use on board. The car seat can be forwards or backwards-facing, but it must be possible to secure it to the aircraft seat using the lap seat belt (otherwise known as the two-point seat belt). Unfortunately we can’t accept car seats that need to be secured by a three-point seat belt or shoulder harness.

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/plan_book/essential_information/travelling-with-infants.aspx

I agree with Snifter a night time flight out with Singapore airlines is the way to go

last few trips we have done Newcastle Dubai Adelaide with short stopovers - seems good on paper but having only and hour and three quarters between flights and huge aiport with long walks doesn't work out well for us

we don't have a toddler but hubby is slow walking because of arthritis problems

Flight times out of Dubai to Adelaide means an early hours start to the last leg of the journey so even if you have had an overnight stay at a hotel it's up in the wee small hours

We have booked for our trip in April with Singapore Newcastle to Heathrow late flight out , a couple of days stopover then on to home

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts & experiences.

I have a few options to go over. Had a quick look at the Singapore route leaving 10pm LHR then a 5hour stopover...arriving ADL 7am... price is cheaper than Emirates too so its looking good.

I think it will be easier for our LO to have a kip if we do it this way, not only that its the longest leg so once were at Changi we can say NOT LONG now ha :-)

We much prefer the Singapore route (and airline) over Dubai. We plan it so we have a 4 hour or thereabouts stop at Changi, hit the swimming pool, shower, relax, let the little one play in one of the soft plays and get some fresh air. I went through Dubai last July travelling with my son and it was a IMHO horrible airport to transit in with a child. My son was fab but we had to walk a long way both ways to get from the plane to the departures. No trains running. After 13 hours on a plane with little sleep I was not a happy camper. Plus I had to lug son's hand luggage also as he found it too much trekking so far when tired and pulling that. Didn't find the staff I had dealings with at Dubai very helpful either. And the main departure terminal was manically busy. Give me Changi anyday :cute: Calmer, sky trains running, lots for kids and adults to do and I think far more pleasant.

Bassinet info from Emirates site

Baby bassinets

If you’d like a baby bassinet, you can request one in the Passenger details section when you make a booking on our website, or by calling your local Emirates office.

Whilst our bassinets are designed for babies up to two years old, you may need to check the size restrictions to ensure your baby will fit safely. Our bassinets are approximately 75 x 33 x 22 cm (29.5 x 13 x 8.8 inches) in size and can hold babies weighing up to 11kg (24.2lb).

Unfortunately if your baby weighs more than 11kg, or doesn’t fit safely in to the bassinet, the cabin crew will not be able to provide one.

You can carry a child up to two years old on your lap, or you can book a seat for them. If you book a seat, you’ll need to pay a child’s fare and fit an approved car seat.

Using car seats

You can use an infant car seat on the flight. However, you’ll need to book a separate seat and pay a child’s fare.

When you check in, Airport Services will make sure your car seat is approved for use on board. The car seat can be forwards or backwards-facing, but it must be possible to secure it to the aircraft seat using the lap seat belt (otherwise known as the two-point seat belt). Unfortunately we can’t accept car seats that need to be secured by a three-point seat belt or shoulder harness.

http://www.emirates.com/au/english/plan_book/essential_information/travelling-with-infants.aspx

Thanks for this info Snifter. Im now wondering whether a car seat is compulsory if under 2? Ill check with the airline we book with.

Thanks for this info Snifter. Im now wondering whether a car seat is compulsory if under 2? Ill check with the airline we book with.

I don't think so but the seat has to be a specific sort is what I take from that. We certainly never used a car seat for our son when under 2 and he sat in a seat (although we hadn't booked a seat). I've also not seen many smaller ones using one either and I've seen plenty of under 2's sitting in their own seat.

TBH tho, if its an old one, so long as its compatible it might be worth bringing to use on the flight as they sit so much better in that size than an overly large seat meant for adults. Only thing is it can't recline I don't think so they would be pretty upright, but of course in a car seat with a harness less likely to fall out. I'm not sure how I'd feel about a little person spending an extended period like that in a car seat sleeping but that is me. Not able to move around much. I'd go with sitting in the normal seat or on my lap for sleeping.

• 2 months later...

We arrived and we survived the flight with our little one!! :-)

We cannot believe how good our little boy was! He slept for 8 hours on the first leg and 2 hours on the second. The inbetween bit was fine too, he sat in his seat (totally recommend getting a seat) and watched good old Peppa Pig and had a nosy around.

Thanks for the recommended night flight out of London...it was definitely the best option!

Glad to be back in Adelaide!! Arrived to beautiful sunshine!

Now the challenge of getting the LO adjusting to the time difference!