Serious food alert

"Just opened the pack of salmon I purchased from Aldi (still within date)...stinking and rotten....grrrr" QUOTE KELBERT

that's really dangerous Kelbert...you really need to report it. People have been known to get killed from tinned fish going off,

THERE WAS A FATALITY (-FROM BOTULISM ) A FEW YEARS AGO FROM A JOHN WEST PRODUCT

anyone who has bought any of this stuff needs to be very careful

-The whole batch need to be withdrawn and checked (-seriously.....)

JB

It wasn't tinned it was from the chiller.

So ...not sure why that would make a difference to you, really, (- whether -it was tinned , fresh, vac packed or frozen)

(- either in terms of the hazard itself, or your - eventual - response).

-But it might make a deal of difference to anyone else who buys a similar packet.

Food poisoning tends to have pretty much the same effect, regardless of how it starts.

Either way.........better to let Aldi know, surely?

(-unless, of course, you know that it was entirely your fault the packet got punctured, and the contents then went off...... surely not)

JB :swoon:

Edited by John Browning

Don't you be worrying yourself about it JB. I have written to Aldi. I am completely confident it was their fault. I have many a time noticed unitainers of chilled produce left in the aisles whilst the staff run around stocking, cleaning and manning the checkouts. Obviously products are left in ambient temperatures for too long expediating the deterioration of the products. You can rest assured that I transport my chilled purchases from store to home in cool bags and inspect packaging for damage prior use.

Don't you be worrying yourself about it JB. I have written to Aldi. I am completely confident it was their fault. I have many a time noticed unitainers of chilled produce left in the aisles whilst the staff run around stocking, cleaning and manning the checkouts. Obviously products are left in ambient temperatures for too long expediating the deterioration of the products. You can rest assured that I transport my chilled purchases from store to home in cool bags and inspect packaging for damage prior use.

I hope they treat your problem with the concern it warrants I must admit I spoke to my local Aldi manager as I had bought a bunch of bananas which looked perfect but were rotten when peeled As I went through checkouts he placed another bunch of bananas and a bottle of wine on the checkout and said For the lady I hadn't really complained I had just asked him if he had had any problems with a delivery

• 2 weeks later...

So, just to update on the salmon saga.....Aldi have completed the investigation and apparantly that smell is completely normal! Yeah right!!! But.....totally subjective, how can you prove anything. So, they will refund me next time I shop in store. Well.....I'm sticking with Coles. Funnily enough the salmon I buy from there doesn't smell.....

A few months ago I noticed a whole box of pouch yoghurts were out of date at our local Coles and having once been on the wrong side of an out of date yoghurt I'm very careful about use-by dates so I told a lady (who worked there, not just some random shopper!) and she looked at me as if it were my fault - told me that there were regular stock rotations and so on. I'm not sure what they did about it but she certainly didn't thank me.