Adelaide needs to change.....

deryans

Owner of coopers brewery seems to get it...................... comments are somewhat depressing by some of the readers.....

PROGRESS will never be made in the city of Adelaide without a wholesale shift in thinking and intent from the top says a leading South Australian businessman.

“It just won’t happen without a change in laws and attitude,” said the chairman of Coopers Brewery, Glenn Cooper, at an Adelaide City Council, ‘Lord Mayor’s forum’ this morning to discuss its new 2016-20 draft Strategic Plan.

The plan, he says, is little more than window dressing and lacking the requisite substance to thrust Adelaide in the vanguard of 21st century Australia.

“I have seen a lot of this before, predictions of growth but nothing will change.

“I was interstate last week. People couldn’t believe we have laws in SA that say you can’t stand outside in a group to have a drink or that parts of Hutt St are restricted to four chairs at an outside table.”

Such small mindedness is an indictment of outmoded attitudes still prevalent in SA he said.

Mr Cooper was invited by the council to give his views on its 30 page offering, a ‘beautiful document’ he said that is effectively a triumph of style over substance.

A panel comprising former state governor Kevin Scarce, Fringe chief Heather Croall, Lord Mayor Martin Haese, climate guru Nicole Halsey, Craig Holden from property developer Forme Projex and Mr Cooper discussed the merits of the strategic plan before around 70 civic leaders from across SA.

Where is the reference to the 260,000 plus visitors Clipsal brings to the city every March, and the energy that engenders, he asked.

Little progress can be made said Mr Cooper without the participation of the state government to repeal restrictive dining laws and more, citing a first rate fish restaurant in the CBD where the owner wanted to put up an awning outside the restaurant in the shape of a scallop but was told legislation required a standard black awning only.

Such petty bureaucracy is anathema to progress he said.

Adelaide City Council needs to help make things happen he said.

“Look at Le Cornu, they haven’t been able to fix that, it is an indictment upon the city. Unless you are prepared to change attitude and assist, we can’t progress.”

The council is not matching its intent he said.

“People want Adelaide to come alive. The city needs to be a place where more people want to spend more time,” wrote deposed lord mayor Stephen Yarwood in the foreword to the previous (2012-16) strategic plan, a declaration of vibrancy the current crop of councillors is failing to meet said Mr Cooper.

“It is affecting this state,” said Mr Cooper. “It requires change by the government, I live in hope.”

We should be much more open in our ambition he said.

“What’s the most romantic city in the world? Paris” asked Mr Cooper.

“Paris has cold winters like we do. It has built awnings and facilitated outside dining all year round. Our council will not allow that …”

Greg16 hours ago

Glen is a practical leader who has called it correctly. It's as simple as that! He's right and the current employment and general malaise the city is in supports it. Well said Glen

FlagShare

LikeReply

GLENN17 hours ago

We can all start doing something, like voting for any other party other than the labor party at the next election.

FlagShare

LikeReply

PonziScheme1 day ago

Thanks Glen Cooper - we need new (and sensible!) ideas. We seem to have a silly bunch of politicians wanting to 'Rubbish' our state and turn it into a dump for the world. What sort of negative image does that project - especially if it is toxic nuclear waste.

Come to SA 'Dump State' - try and sell that as a tourist destination. Try and sell our produce, watch our 'Clean, Green' market advantage disappear. All for a nuclear waste dump project that looks like it was done by schoolkids.

FlagShare

LikeReply

Tanya1 day ago

We've had different visitors from interstate over the last few years. They were brave enough to say what they thought, which means these things really stood out to them.

They were all surprised about how old, tired, dirty and backward they found Adelaide. Even a Tasmanian! Dilapidated, with bad roads, and even worse drivers, they all said. And an attitude they didn't like.

Attitude usually comes from the top. Glenn Cooper's comments are a wake up call that needs to be heard.

FlagShare

Tanya1 day ago

He's dead right.

Vote 1. Glenn Cooper for Premier.

david1 day ago

This State is run by bureaucrats both at State & Local government level & its all about keeping them relevant when they are not. The only good thing I can say is that we have many councils & they are not all the same. There are actually good councils that do good work & live in the real world but the ACC isn't one of them. We have had a number of changes to the ACC in recent years but nothing changes IE PC nonsense that concentrate on the minority & ignores the majority & the amount od money wasted is criminal. Fortunately most of what goes on in the CBD is run by the Private sector even if they have to jump bureaucratic hurdles & still succeed. Yes we have to make room for cyclists & pedestrians but alienating the motorist is short sighted & ridiculous.

FlagShare

4keReply

Barrie1 day ago

Like to see the State Govt plan to attract new industries ,not glossy brochures ,then targets for Public Servants to get results .

FlagShare

LikeReply

david1 day ago

@Barrie Absolutely but the State Liberals appear to be following the same path . It would appear that the Federal government is the only one likely to push us forward. If it wasn't for their money there is no future because Jay only makes plans that include Federal funds

FlagShare

2eply

50.jpg

Dave1 day ago

There certainly needs to be a shift in sentiment from the government, the councils, the opposition and the public. And the biggest change is to create
positive attitudes
in this state. As soon as the government puts a new proposal out, a multitude of whingers who live in the past, put it down. The Liberals have opposed the electrification of the rail system, the tram line extensions, the redevelopment of the new Adelaide Oval, the new hospital etc. They also have done little to get the new subs and other warships built in Adelaide!

There is a great proposal to redevelop Norwood Oval and its clubrooms, something that is long overdue, but 1 person, yes, 1 solitary, selfish person has opposed it, and now the redevelopment has ground to a halt!

Great ideas flow into the state all the time, but listen to talk back radio and all of the whingers who oppose every new idea! It is no wonder that things don’t happen in this state and jobs aren’t created!

Positive, vibrant attitudes will see SA develop and prosper, but ridiculous, small minded laws need to be removed, like the restrictive dining laws!

FlagShare

3eReply

david1 day ago

@dave Rubbish. Liberal plans were similar like they wanted a new oval but not a redevelopment. The Tram extension is only popular because its free & we are broke. The RAH isn't finished & its yet to prove itself worthwhile & will reduce the capabilities of the rest of the Health network to pay for it. The Liberals have not done anything to stop & not promote warship building. What they have done is stop it disintegrating into a farce. They have got the AWD back on track & made the ASC a viable option for expansion. The ASC under the Liberals will revolutionize ship building & the defence industry here in SA & is exactly what Mal Coper is talking about The ridiculous small mined laws are a product of the State government & its stupid PC attitude.

FlagShare

3keReply

50.jpg

Gregg1 day ago

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that the NIMBYs will always rule

FlagShare

3keReply

sam1 day ago

@Gregg Not necessarily.

FlagShare

LikeReply

C1 day ago

I agree, things need to change big time! Especially the ridiculous opening closing hours of businesses all over SA, still a complete and utter joke! An embarrassment to SA.

FlagShare

6LikeReply

Kenny1 day ago

"Requires change by the Government" - joke right ?

Even blind Freddie can see what's required - A change of Government.

FlagShare

John1 day ago

Would be better if Coopers made drinkable beer (other than the licensed stuff like Carlsberg).

FlagShare

LikeReply

sam1 day ago

@john
Hey, that's our beer, I like Coopers, always have, get lost.

FlagShare

Stuart1 day ago

I'm with Glenn Cooper and it's not just Adelaide City that has the problem. I own a very successful heavy engineering business in Gillman with my brother and we export our equipment all over the world and throughout Australia. I've been trying for 4 months to get approval from PAE Council to build an additional shed for storage on adjoining property we own but wow is this complicated and frustrating for such a simple building job?. How hard can they make something as simple as this? We design and build million dollar machines quicker than the Council can make up their mind if I can erect a shed. We earn export income which this state desperately needs, employ people who are desperate for work and pay plenty of tax, yet every way we turn it is harder and harder to do things in SA. One day we will simply join the rest of SA manufacturing and simply shut our doors and retire.....

FlagShare

13eReply

sam1 day ago

@Stuart The only downside with export is that if we deliver something good like crayfish and prawns the stuff is exported and anything left we have to pay top dollar for or go without.

FlagShare

LikeReply

Richard1 day ago

Don't even think about visiting the city in a car.

FlagShare

5eply

john1 day ago

@Rich
ard Can't wait for it to move to Tailem Bend, there is no provable return on the $millions of taxpayers money pumped in.. none because the hotels would be full anyway. Besides nobody believes that 200,000,0000 go..

FlagShare

LikeReply

sam1 day ago

@Rich
ard This is part of the problem, no cars. If this city is to be more vibrant then the city must be open to all and provide parking long and short term. If not then I'm all for business' moving out of the city onto the Port Rd Hindmarsh leaving the city to the bike riders and city dwellers. Lets get started.

FlagShare

John1 day ago

Glenn is 100% right; but his comments will not change anything. We shall just get more talking and no action. We need to wake up and realise the word is passing us by. The potential is there and we try hard but that's not enough anymore. SA needs to wake up and stop being a 'nanny state'. Glenn Cooper is telling it as it is.... Hopefully someone is listening?

FlagShare

sam1 day ago

@john
I'm not so sure we want to or be a Paris, London , New York or even a Sydney. May I suggest most South Australians like our city just as it is/was, a beautiful city to look at and live in. Bottom line, leave it as it is. Everybody stood by and watched as our industries were exported along with the work force to developing countries, now, it's too late, the horse has bolted. We do not need more people to develop or survive, we just need to be more innovative. I have always supported Cooper's, it's ours.

FlagShare

1eReply

Paul1 day ago

You can't remain in the 1980s heyday of SA. The State Bank happened. Globalisation happened. Innovation and change are necessary, just to survive. This is a view barely understood by many of SA's yesterday-leaders.

FlagShare

LikeReply

john1 day ago

Don't worry about people on the pavement, as normal Adelaide will be deserted over Easter, apart from the hapless tourists.. Most cafes will be shut, the joke of a market will be shut.

The 71,000 on the dole will be doing nothing certainly not enjoying camping or the regions. Some will wonder if the penalty rates were lower then they could have a job.. Until there is a govt that give a s**t about the unemployed and poverty and happy for them to work SA will continue its decline.

FlagShare

sam1 day ago

@john
True, people just don't have the money any more, it has all been taken in levies and State tax's, there is nothing to get excited about here come long weekends.

FlagShare

Deryans.... having difficulty getting teeth into this:

* A casual reader (-presumably from outside Adelaide-) might be forgiven in thinking Adelaide City is still back in the Playford State days

To be fair, the Adelaide City Council have gone to great lengths over recent years to promote outside dining etc:

Hutt St, Gouger Street, Rundle Street East, O'Connell St etc etc are all doing brisk alfresco business..... most of them with plenty of cover and even heating for the cooler months, and quite able to accommodate groups well in excess of four, all year round.....

Then there are whole new alley type developments: Ebezer Place, Charlicks, Union Lane, Gilbert Place, Ebenezer.

* So, perhaps this is more to do with licensing restrictions?

If so ....not sure people have much of a problem with being expected to sit down if they have a glass in their hand.

Why I was in Rundle Street just yesterday evening doing just that.

(But then -come to think of it .....there was a group of ladies standing having a drink at a street counter, right next to a Security Guard. -so that's not a very good tangent to take now, is it ?)

Either way... it's not as if we don't have beer gardens in Adelaide where you can waltz your Matilda to your hearts content.

* Or is this perhaps a crie du coeur for Scallop Shaped Awnings and / or bigger tables, or something ?

Perhaps you could clarify what it is that Glen (-or even better, what you ) would like to see from the ACC, and from the State Government

JB :swoon:

Edited by John Browning

Oh dear Mr Deryans, you must be so bored in London. Raining is it?

I don't know what we would do without you telling us how backwards it is here. Oh, I know, I might just enjoy the last 9 years that i've lived here.

Before moving here I lived for 25 years in a city and country that gradually became more unlivable. as every aspect of normality disintegrated. I don't ever feel the need to tell everyone there just how bad their lives, government, future prospects are. I just get on with my new present life and put the past behind me. You have every right to spew your doom and gloom but I just shake my head and wonder why.

You take care. In time you may one day put your Adelaide experiences behind you and concentrate upon living again.

I however do live here and agree with the post deryans has posted I have both friends form Adelaide and other parts of Australia and all have said there are too many do-gooders set in there ways and want Adelaide to remain a small country town. Are neighbour told us that are kids will eventually move away from Adelaide as all 3 of there kids now live outside SA for better work prospects and to be in a place that has a pulse after the clock his 5.00pm. Adelaide is a place loaded with red tape that has a strangle hold on business which Ive never seen before, I went to a Harvey Norman store on one of the public holidays only to find out they cannot sell any electrical goods, what's that all about???? another stupid law in SA. I once heard the Premier of Victoria called SA a backwater and I thought what a comment to make about a fellow Australian state but I can understand why he made that comment. SA however is nice place with some great wine regions, beaches but its been poorly governed in the past.

I have also notice a comment on here that has compared Adelaide to London......rubbish compare apples with apples.

Adelaide as a large country town needs to cut bull**** laws, modernise to keep its youth and not just be known as the city of poorly designed and constructed churches.

Edited by Markrw

Glenn Cooper seems to have proven himself as an astute businessman. He's been involved in tourism as well as 'Buy Australian'. I think the point he's making is that the draft Strategic Plan is word-strong, action-weak.

Love does not have to be blind. There are elements to SA that could be improved to the benefit of all. Dismissing every idea as somehow disloyal or over-critical is a nonsense. Asking what people want, how they see the future of Adelaide was a great idea, but then we need exciting, forward-thinking individuals to come up with a dynamic plan for our future. And that seems to be what's missing from the Strategic Plan.

However, it's still a draft, so let's wait and hope. Alternatively, go to:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/your-council/strategic-corporate-planning/stategic-plan/

and share your opinion.

Finally, I don't know why Deryans continues to post on PiA, but surely each thread / post should be judged by content, not author?

LC

Edited by Lazy Cow
Stupid autocorrect.