Broken Hill

I'm looking at taking my parents up to Broken Hill for a weekend when they're here in May but the dates we're looking at seem to be pretty booked (14/15th May) - does any one know if there's something 'special' going on up there then- a Google search didn't turn anything up? Alternatively if anyone has any recommendations (there'll be 7 of us) for places to stay they'd be much appreciated.

Our alternative destination is Woomera but we stayed there a couple of years ago (without my parents) and I don't think it will be much fun for the children to revisit so soon.

Any other ideas (that aren't Kangaroo Island - too expensive for a couple of days)?

Flinders Rangers, Clare Valley or any number of the small towns on the way up to the Flinders. Or Port Augusta or Whyalla. Port Lincoln is probably getting a bit far for a couple of days. Or going the other way you could try Normanville, Robe, Murray Bridge, Mount Gambia.