best way to get my electrical A Grade license

hi all,

I'm moving to Adelaide in 6months and looking to do my electrical license when i get there, I'm a fully quillified electrician in the UK, i have read a few ways to do this but they have all been from 5 years ago, has anyone had to do this or know the best way to do this? any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Dave.

Thanks Philly47. But that is more for businesses, I'm just looking to get my qualifications switched over. Which involves night school and a final test. But thanks for the reply :)

That's where you would need to apply for your license to work they would tell you where you need to do any course necessary ie TAFE etc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave. I promised myself that I wouldn't come back onto this morbid site. As a fellow sparkie who's been through the hurdles I could probably give you a more accurate representation to the processes. If YOU are the visa holder you will go through the Vetesses route which entails a practical and theory test in the UK. Similar to AM2. That if passed will gain you an OSTR. This then enables you to apply for Restricted Electrical Licence upon arrival. Here comes the difficult part. You will then visit skills for all who will probably offer you the chance to complete your wiring rules at PEER Tech for free. At Peer you will complete 3 weeks of Australian regulation study. Very similar to Ours. After successful completion of the Wiring rules you will then need to complete the next stage.... GAP TRAINING. A logbook which needs to be completed every day compromising Domestic. Commercial and industrial jobs... With some applicants taking a Year to complete. Mine took 6 Months at 70,000 words. If this isn't enough and I'm not being pessimistic just realistic it's hard enough for licenced sparkles to get a gig here in Adelaide. You would be classed as a TA... Unlike the electrical mate system in UK which is a preferred method of 3 mates to a spark. Here in Aus is completely different for some strange reason they rearly take on TA's but not impossible. I myself are moving states. I personally know a lot of Aussie and British sparks are also joining in the exodus... It's an uphill task mate but do able... Make sure you have enough money to keep you going for about 4 months.. I went down to my last 800$ before I got a gig... It's frightening.. Good luck.

Thanks kenny that's the answer I've been wanting. I knew it would be a hassle to get it changed over. Hopefully it goes well and I manage to get something along the way to keep me going. I've done a lot on the fire side of things so hoping that works in my advantage and get something doing that and don't need to move state!!

Cheers

• 2 months later...
Hey Dave. I promised myself that I wouldn't come back onto this morbid site. As a fellow sparkie who's been through the hurdles I could probably give you a more accurate representation to the processes. If YOU are the visa holder you will go through the Vetesses route which entails a practical and theory test in the UK. Similar to AM2. That if passed will gain you an OSTR. This then enables you to apply for Restricted Electrical Licence upon arrival. Here comes the difficult part. You will then visit skills for all who will probably offer you the chance to complete your wiring rules at PEER Tech for free. At Peer you will complete 3 weeks of Australian regulation study. Very similar to Ours. After successful completion of the Wiring rules you will then need to complete the next stage.... GAP TRAINING. A logbook which needs to be completed every day compromising Domestic. Commercial and industrial jobs... With some applicants taking a Year to complete. Mine took 6 Months at 70,000 words. If this isn't enough and I'm not being pessimistic just realistic it's hard enough for licenced sparkles to get a gig here in Adelaide. You would be classed as a TA... Unlike the electrical mate system in UK which is a preferred method of 3 mates to a spark. Here in Aus is completely different for some strange reason they rearly take on TA's but not impossible. I myself are moving states. I personally know a lot of Aussie and British sparks are also joining in the exodus... It's an uphill task mate but do able... Make sure you have enough money to keep you going for about 4 months.. I went down to my last 800$ before I got a gig... It's frightening.. Good luck.

Hi Kenny ..

I am also Electrician (industrial & HVAC), from Singapore and planning to move Adelaide this December ..... I already got my OTSR from Vetassess. Just my489 state sponsorship visa has been granted (July, 4th, 2015) and now i need your guidance to know more on where I have to start , from your reply I understand that Peer Veet is the one providing the Gap training. But Once I landed , to make this fast and easier, what I have to do.... to enrol gap training, additionally there are few questions in my mind, such

* Need any additional proof except visa, passport & OTSR to enrol in Peer Veet ????

*Did I need to take provisional license first to enrol or not really necessary??

If yes how many days it will take to get the license..

*Need any additional process for free (fee) enrolment ?? If yes what I have to do...

Pls kindly throw some light, it would be very helpful to me and planning.....

Thanks

D.Suresh

• 1 month later...

Guys,

I run my own electrical business and know the pitfalls and hardships that await you as I too had to go through all the hoops to get my electrical license and then my contractors license.

What you will need when you get here is to get your qualifications recognised by the Aussies. I can only speak of the UK sparkies in this reply.

You need to book yourself on the Electrical MACGT course at Peer Veet. This is an intensive course and covers in the first week all your OHS stuff and your Electrical rescue with CPR (which is now compulsory). Once complete and passed you will then move onto the wiring rules part. This is again an intensive course spread out over 7 to 8 days over a 2 week period culminating in 3 exams, (2 written and one test and inspection with fault finding). It really is just like going back to college and if you listen and pay attention it really shouldn't be too hard to get through. There were 13 in my class and only one person had to try again, most of us got over 90% so all good.

Now that was the easy part, here come the hard part.

To actually get Peer to sign you off you need to complete the "GAP" training. This is the part where you have to somehow manage to persuade an electrical company to give you a job. Once you have this job you need to document EVERYTHING you do in detail. The more detail you have the quicker you can get signed off. If you are only doing house bashing then you will be waiting at least a year, yes you read that right, a whole year waiting for them to sign you off. If you manage to get into a company that covers a variety of work in domestic and commercial with some single and 3-phase work, a bit of motors, some control cabling (air conditioning is a good one) then you can in theory get signed off in as little as 3 months (but this is difficult and not the norm).

Once they are happy and your log book has been back and forth between you and Peer a couple of times they will then sign you off and you get your magic certificate. Then the joys of looking for that job start.

You do not need your restricted license to get onto the course at Peer but you will need it to get a job with someone.

Here is the link to Peer's website with the dates for the next courses on it. http://www.peer.com.au/Portals/0/2016%20Upskill%20Calendar%20(Jul-Dec)%2013.7.16.pdf

This year they are in October and December and seem to be run every couple of months but only one course per month.

The cost of the course plus all the books (you may be able to borrow these) is about $2,000. Some funding is available from Skills for All which is based in the city. You need to book an appointment to go see them, take your Vetasses and your passport, if there is anything else they will tell you.

Once you have all of this then look me up. http://www.beebop.com.au

Good luck everyone who reads this.

Dear Elliot,

Thankyou very much for the guidance, informations are clearly detailed. Actually I am landing on 14-Nov-2016 and planning to enroll Peer Veet GAP training from 28/11/2016 to 16/12/2016 classes. I hope that everything would be fine and will update you on this..

See you soon,

Suresh.

Guys,

I run my own electrical business and know the pitfalls and hardships that await you as I too had to go through all the hoops to get my electrical license and then my contractors license.

What you will need when you get here is to get your qualifications recognised by the Aussies. I can only speak of the UK sparkies in this reply.

You need to book yourself on the Electrical MACGT course at Peer Veet. This is an intensive course and covers in the first week all your OHS stuff and your Electrical rescue with CPR (which is now compulsory). Once complete and passed you will then move onto the wiring rules part. This is again an intensive course spread out over 7 to 8 days over a 2 week period culminating in 3 exams, (2 written and one test and inspection with fault finding). It really is just like going back to college and if you listen and pay attention it really shouldn't be too hard to get through. There were 13 in my class and only one person had to try again, most of us got over 90% so all good.

Now that was the easy part, here come the hard part.

To actually get Peer to sign you off you need to complete the "GAP" training. This is the part where you have to somehow manage to persuade an electrical company to give you a job. Once you have this job you need to document EVERYTHING you do in detail. The more detail you have the quicker you can get signed off. If you are only doing house bashing then you will be waiting at least a year, yes you read that right, a whole year waiting for them to sign you off. If you manage to get into a company that covers a variety of work in domestic and commercial with some single and 3-phase work, a bit of motors, some control cabling (air conditioning is a good one) then you can in theory get signed off in as little as 3 months (but this is difficult and not the norm).

Once they are happy and your log book has been back and forth between you and Peer a couple of times they will then sign you off and you get your magic certificate. Then the joys of looking for that job start.

You do not need your restricted license to get onto the course at Peer but you will need it to get a job with someone.

Here is the link to Peer's website with the dates for the next courses on it. http://www.peer.com.au/Portals/0/2016%20Upskill%20Calendar%20(Jul-Dec)%2013.7.16.pdf

This year they are in October and December and seem to be run every couple of months but only one course per month.

The cost of the course plus all the books (you may be able to borrow these) is about $2,000. Some funding is available from Skills for All which is based in the city. You need to book an appointment to go see them, take your Vetasses and your passport, if there is anything else they will tell you.

Once you have all of this then look me up. http://www.beebop.com.au

Good luck everyone who reads this.

This has now changed. The gap training is now a full 3 weeks course and includes extra skills assessments including installing a 3 phase installation. There is also a compulsory project book that takes an extra 160 hours approximately to complete. The log book has also been replaced with an eprofiling card system which takes a full 10-12 months minimum to complete.

Edited by minty

This has now changed. The gap training is now a full 3 weeks course and includes extra skills assessments including installing a 3 phase installation. There is also a compulsory project book that takes an extra 160 hours approximately to complete. The log book has also been replaced with an eprofiling card system which takes a full 10-12 months minimum to complete.

Dear Minty,

Yes your right, I received the GAP training schedule from Peer Veet by email for this year and they elobrated the process as you mentioned above.... Additionally they assess my OTSR and recommended to do Cert-2 in AC split unit as a elective subject (60hrs) together with main modules so totally going to be 4 week course.

Reason for this elective course is in my OTSR (Vetassess) PLC is assessed as my elective, but Peer Veet don't have facility to provide PLC GAP training, so they recommended to take Cert-2 A.C split unit course or some other courses such open cable course .... Etc.

Thanks

Suresh.

"Trades Test" at PEER in Adelaide

Hello all. I'm wondering in anyone has been through an electrical ‘Trades Test’ at Peer in Adelaide. My scenario is slightly different from normal but, in short, PEER have said the the Cert III Electrotechnology RPL process is most relevant for my situation. This requires you to do a 'trades test' which then determines what gap training requirements you need to fulfill. After this you still need to do the usual 12 months of work experience all documented on the eprofiling system.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of things are tested in the 'trades test'?

Cheers

James

• 1 month later...
"Trades Test" at PEER in Adelaide

Hello all. I'm wondering in anyone has been through an electrical ‘Trades Test’ at Peer in Adelaide. My scenario is slightly different from normal but, in short, PEER have said the the Cert III Electrotechnology RPL process is most relevant for my situation. This requires you to do a 'trades test' which then determines what gap training requirements you need to fulfill. After this you still need to do the usual 12 months of work experience all documented on the eprofiling system.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of things are tested in the 'trades test'?

Cheers

James

Dear Jame,

I am not sure about PEER assessment.... but if you need help on Vetassess assessment, pls let me know...

Cheers

• 3 months later...

Hi all I have recently moved to Adelaide on a skilled 189 visa and I am a U.K. Sparkie. As all the comments above mentioned it is pretty hard to get a full licence over here. I had a meeting with Skilled SA when I first arrived and they offer funding but the time I arrived was unfortunately the end of the educational year so all course were over. The last time I looked the courses for next year hadn't been posted. Luckily I have managed to find some employment with a company and they have employed me to learn HVAC also so hopefully by the time I finish I will have a dual trade licence. It took a lot of convincing for the company to hire me on a restricted licence but having worked with HVAC I think it helped me in some way. I am hoping that Peer will carry out a night course as I would like to complete the electrical licence off my own back and not be tied to a company if they help me complete it and skilled SA offer funding even if you have employment. In the U.K. I was working as a commercial installation spark but I have found that market is really hard to get into at the moment so the company I work for now is more involved in service and repairs. Not ideal but hopefully it will help me gain my full licence. I hear there are some major projects in the pipeline so the majority of the sparkles who are looking for work after finishing the hospital will find jobs and maybe make it easier for guys coming over to get employment. My advice would be to speak to skilled SA as soon as you arrive and then get booked onto a course with peer. Also get the Seek app on your phone and apply for as many jobs as you can even if they ask for full licence holders as you might get lucky. Hope this helps anyone who is coming over and good luck with everything.