Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      If you are really keen on Mitcham Girls I would let your middle daughter go in to year 6 with kids her age and then apply for the school as part of the normal process in year 7. Personally I would be wary of putting a child in a year above their peers unless they are intellectually, socially and emotionally advanced. And I say that as the parent of a child assessed as gifted kept with his 'proper' year group.

Some high schools run programs for kids that are intellectually advanced that extends them educationally without putting them in with much older kids. There is the ignite program that takes kids from year 8 in three schools across Adelaide, but also schools run 'in house' programs as well. I know Norwood Morialta has a program that starts in year 10 (referred to as 10X) and I'm sure I have heard talk of similar programs in other schools, although they are not widely publicised.
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
      Dale Carnegie 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      I got your point i.e.

1. I should not try to adjust my daughters in advance classes.
      2. I should try to approach Mitcham directly for my Sep 2002 daughter (will be 14 in Sep 2016)
      3. I should focus on good primary school and the suburb accordingly, as Mitcham is unzoned.

Thanks for all the advice. I am honoured

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      I second NicF with keeping your children in their respective year groups; both our girls are 'up' a year and certainly for our eldest (currently in year 10 and not 15 until August) we're finding the gap socially opening up - a lot of her friends are finding part-time jobs, talking about driving etc and emotionally she's being pushed. She's coping academically and there's no way we can drop her a year and keep her at the same school; it just wouldn't be fair, but if we could go back to the start we'd definitely have moved the girls back down when we moved areas after our first year here (like we did with our son). We didn't ask for them to be put up when we arrived, the Prinicpal suggested that children arriving from the UK generally could keep up better that way so we went with his experience.

We're still debating quite what we're going to do with our youngest.

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by Faisal View Post
      I got your point i.e.

1. I should not try to adjust my daughters in advance classes.
      2. I should try to approach Mitcham directly for my Sep 2002 daughter (will be 14 in Sep 2016)
      3. I should focus on good primary school and the suburb accordingly, as Mitcham is unzoned.

Thanks for all the advice. I am honoured
      1. I would go with what the primary school says, but yes, I would suggest year 6 would be best for your middle daughter. It's much easier to move up a year if appropriate than drop back a year if it doesn't work out (see flossybeth's post above). And it would probably make getting her in to Mitcham in year 8 easier.
      2. Yes. Your eldest daughter would be in year 8 and the school will be best placed to advise on the entry procedures.
      3. Although the school is not zoned I would not plan to live too far away. I don't know what the entry requirements are for Mitcham but even if they don't mind if you are on the other side of Adelaide it would be a long journey for your kids to do every day. I would focus on primary schools within a short drive of the high school just from a practicality point of view, although this obviously depends on how far you are happy for your daughters to travel to school (some high school kids travel quite a distance to school here).

Just as aside I believe Mitcham Girls is a really good school, although having two boys it's not one I've paid much attention to. And in a nice area as well.
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
      Dale Carnegie 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Title
      Liked
      times
      Rep
      Hello

I'm interested in the advice on this post but wondering if someone can clarify for me. If my daughter is 14 on 0ct 26th (currently year 8) and we emigrate early 2017... would she be year 9?

Then my stepson who is 14, in Feb 2017 (currently year 8) and came early next year also. Would he be year 9?

Thank you

•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12