Some good sub news at last!

The good news didn't last long....posted 5 May 2016..........

ASC Adelaide shipyards to shed 640 workers by end of 2017

Updated Thu at 7:26pm

Another 640 jobs will go from the ASC shipyards at Osborne in Adelaide by the end of next year, a Senate estimates hearing has been told.

The head of ASC Shipbuilding, Mark Lamarre, said the workers would finish up between now and the end of 2017 as work slowed on the Air Warfare Destroyer project.

The figure includes ongoing employees and contractors.

A spokeswoman for ASC said work would accelerate at the shipyard once the Offshore Patrol Vessel project started in 2018.

Mr Lamarre told the hearing it was hard to speculate about job numbers after the end of 2017 as other projects were due to come online.

"We expect by June of '17 to have ... to be down to 1,130 which would be a 617-person reduction in total numbers and by December of '17 down to 1,095 which would another 35 or so," he said.

Federal Labor MP Nick Champion said more job losses at ASC would compound unemployment problems in South Australia, with Holden due to close next year.

"We've seen big redundancies from Arrium, we've seen big redundancies from GMH and we're yet to see the real horror of the shutdown of the automotive industry in 2017," Mr Champion said.

"Another 640 people will be facing a very difficult jobs market."

Late last month, the Federal Government announced French firm DCNS would build Australia's next submarines at Osborne — a $50 billion contract.

DCNS said it would require construction of a huge new factory in Adelaide for the work.

Mr Lamarre said plans were already being made to hire staff for the submarine project.

Here is the same mayor of unley clown, cringe worthy and as one poster mentioned , quite possibly the funniest comment on indaily.

Besides that, there are actually a number of french patisseries in Unley, one of which , Mulots' provides excellent instruction classes and evening training by Andre and his wife.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2016/04/26/subs-celebration-adelaide-built-australian-made-australian-jobs-australian-steel/

Mayor Lachlan Clyne 18 days agoGreat news for Unley! We want Unley to be the "home-away-from-home" for French nationals.
    As I said before, I support a French design in SA. I'm talking submarines.
    The relationship Unley is developing with the French through Alliance-Francaise and Creative France, through our long running hosting of the French Markets and our historical relationship with the French Town of Pozieres means I see a lot of positives for Unley should the build be given to France's DCNS.
    Unley could become the home away from home for French nationals and their families. Our residential lifestyle, with first class main-streets, close to the city with great schools would make us perfect for French families.
    A French influence in Unley would enhance our community, culture and add greatly to our lifestyle.
    Jocelyn and I are heading over to Pozieres in a couple of months in commemoration of Unley's Own, the 27th Battalion's involvement that most significant battle.
    Having met twice with the French Ambassador and just a couple of weeks ago a visiting French Senator, this visit will enable us to now take advantage of their invitations to further strengthen ties between Unley and specific French communities.

• SA Business Mayor Lachlan Clyne 18 days agoThis is quite possibly the funniest comment I've ever seen on Indaily. You wouldn't happen to be positioning yourself to run in the 2018 State Election would you Lachlan?? I've no idea how you make these ridiculous connections to the Subs bid and Unley....its ridiculous to be honest.

Edited by deryans
format