Arggg..lack of jobs in SA - working interstate

Having moved four months ago over on a state sponsored PR Visa 190, I was fortunate to secure a role 3 weeks after arrving in Adelaide. However, my husband hasn't been so fortunate and like many others, after countless job applications, and zero responses he has become disheartened and despondant with the SA job situation (despite the assurances from the agencies that his experience and background in logistic management is just what SA needs!). He calls employers and they don't respond or they hide behind adverts so you can't contact them! We know it's a hidden market but even breaking in to that is proving a challenge when people don't respond when you try to network. He doesn't want to start again in a new career having worked hard to get where he was and if he tries to take a step down he gets told he is overqualified. I realise we are only 4 months in which isn't as long as many, but having been in the fortunate position where he has never been out of work, this is now starting to hit him hard and he is considering looking further afield as we know there are lots more opportunities in Victoria. Having spent much of his armed forces career apart, this was not something we really wanted to undertake again but unless something comes up, then it may be a viable option.

I would plan to remain here as per the visa conditions in the hope that if he does move away, he may then eventually get a role back in SA. Failing that we will all move. I just wanted to know for those who have a partner who is working away, how cost effective is it and how do you find it? I know if will be hard on the children but this is something that I think he may need to do for his own sanity. It's so hard when on the one hand, the SA government have honoured their part and clearly there are jobs here for me but the other half of the relationship is negatively impacted. It's sad as we really do love Adelaide and what it has to offer but I'm struggling to see whether there will be a future here for us in the longterm....is it any wonder why Adelaide fails to compete with other cities with such a narrow minded parochialsm and unwillingness to change.:nah:

Sorry..rant over! :confused:

Hi there,

I feel for your other half, took me also a while to secure work in 2012. What helped me was to gain Australian qualifications, from that day with a Cert III I hit the job market.

It may be possible for your hubby to obtain an Australian qualification in his field of work by asking Centrelink, they have a 'job ready' progam.

Also have a look to reshape the other half's resume into an Australian one! Australian resumes differ from European versions and needs to be converted into Australian 'format'. Have a look on seek, sometimes it's just that simple reason why applicants never hear back from prospective employers. Your hubby needs an outstanding resume and often cover letters are required which are also different from the UK/Europe.

The issue in Adelaide is not only that it's all about 'who you know not what you know' but furthermore South Aussie Employers are very keen on 'real' Australian qualifications, like a certificate II, III or IV even for refilling shelves in a supermarket!!! Employers in Adelaide are able to cherry pick and prefer either locals or if they cannot find anybody local would rather take on an applicant with Australian papers. Many migrants learned it the hard way and even with a positive skill assessment for their visa had to retrain in order to become competitive. It depends on the field of work, of course. Some occupations are in shortage but I doubt logistics belongs to that area.

This market here is highly competitive and I have heard from people posting here on this forum of heading off to Victoria based on what you mentioned and finding work on the spot and never looked back!

Most important is doing some research before heading off interstate.

Edited by Rabeah

Thanks Rabeah. He completed a Cert IV in H&S before coming across and is a member of the Australian Institute of Logistics. He's had his CV reviewed by both Recruiters and also an internal recruiter at Coles had a look and was impressed...but no jobs in Adelaide at the moment which is frustrating when there are roles for me, but then that's just the way it is sometimes I guess. I can understand the keeness to employ locals (we are the same in UK to a large degree) and one recruiter said they need to break out of this mindset as it's the same people doing the rounds and so no new ideas are being generated. Supply chain and logistics professionals are in demand but it is broad field with many specialties. Its a bit like filling dead mens' shoes at the moment. I think it's also harder when it's the man that's out of work as they see themselves as the provider and it can be quite emasculating for them. As Kenny said though sand and beaches don't pay the bills so time will tell whether we remain in Adelaide.

Hi Rabeah, Yep, tried Aldi at various levels. No luck...Coles was promising and he has a couple of contacts across in Melbourne who were impressed with his CV but no opportunities currently in SA in his field. Woolies are restructuring so not the best time to try and get in there. Will keep persevering!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi wozzie, I can understand your partner's situation, me and my wife went through the same thing. But as far as I know there are plenty of jobs in supply chain management, logistics etc in Australia, however in Adelaide not so much. The biggest problem I see is that no one really advertises anything over here and they are quite happy to hire someone they know than an immigrant (It is slowly changing). Strange, isn't it? given that they advertise in every other country saying welcoming and warm :eek:. However the best choice for you would be to move interstate, and about the obligations of Subclass 190, your visa has no condition on it and the state government couldn't care less about your whereabouts (I'm not sure about when applying for citizenship, though, sorry) they just email you a survey link (I have done 3 of them and still no calls or mails sent to the address I am in) so it is up to you.

And about applying for jobs try out that mob that they have set up with 2-3 ladies who has no idea what they are doing and glorifies themselves as experts in skilled immigrant job hunting. Any 190 visa holder's partner is eligible to get their skills assessed and get their help in finding a job (And it's free). I'm not sure how helpful they would be, though (as you may have guessed how I described them). Oh and you are not eligible to centerlink or jobsactive. :nah:

As far as certifications go, it's hilarious. The most entertainingly hilarious excuse for not hiring me was that my degree was from England and they found someone else with Local qualifications, and this was after me getting my skills assessed by the Australian computer society and granting me permanent residency. What am I supposed to do? drop everything and go back to a uni and complete a degree in Australia?. I'm sure everyone is not like that but there are some. Yes, granted Adelaide is absolutely beautiful and peaceful and probably the best place to settle down and start a family, but compared to rest of Australia it's more like a lazy town with almost no sense of development (Despite the desperate attempt by media and government). My opinion pick up a couple of survival jobs or give a shot at a small business, never get discouraged by the things these people say about your qualifications.(I'm sure you and your partner are way more qualified than many over here) And of course don't take my word for it, apply for other states (Melbourne, Sydney etc.) you'll surely get some good responses. Have a positive attitude, laugh at those stupid excuses about Australian qualifications etc, most of them are Adelaide specific and the rest of the country had moved on.

And of course, the resumes and cover letters, never be creative if you are applying for anything in Adelaide, make a CV as if you are applying for Macdonalds and then you will get positive responses. (after my wife got a response for her resume for a graphic designer position saying that it was too unconventional we just called the quits. :wacko:)

Now, I understand I'm giving out a lot of negative vibes about Adelaide, it's not all negative. The question you need to ask is whether all the trouble you have to go through to make it work is actually worth it? If it's yes then you will have to make serious changes to cater to the Adelaide (ie : Ausi qualifications, starting from scratch, networking, etc.) If it's no, just ride out the time you have to be here and start off fresh in a different state.

I've read it somewhere that only the primary applicant has to stay and work in the sponsored state, but I suggest that you dig into it since I'm not entirely sure.

Hope this helps. Good luck. :wink:

Hi Wozzie, I am experiencing the same feeling as you partner. It has been quite frustrating at times.

Hi buddy, were you able to land a job and how long it took you? i was also assessed by ACS. now i am thinking of enrolling at TAFE just to get the local qualifications but it will make a few dents on my savings.

Hi Wozzie, I am experiencing the same feeling as you partner. It has been quite frustrating at times.

Hi buddy, were you able to land a job and how long it took you? i was also assessed by ACS. now i am thinking of enrolling at TAFE just to get the local qualifications but it will make a few dents on my savings.

Hi ACA, what field are you in

Bob

There can be many reasons why a person secures a job or not in Adelaide! Often new arrivals (or even the 'locals'!) can jeopardise their chances because they don't know how things work. So for example, a recruiter/company wanting to reduce a shortlist of applicants may conduct a phone interview, so applicants need to be ready with answers in case they receive a phone call, especially the one relating to salary expectations. Often employers are now in a strong position in the current economy to pick and choose from a larger pool of applicants.

From my experience there is still work around in Adelaide. I know several people who have secured work recently, but it depends on your skill set, the industry you work in, attitude and approach etc etc!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply Buddy. I can't believe the experience you and your wife had with regards to qualifications! (well, I can!) Hubby has had a couple of second interviews and has a follow up interview for one job in Melbourne on Friday (they're flying him over for it so fingers crossed). If he secures the role, we will stay here and he will commute back at weekends...not ideal but we always said the first couple of years would be tough. The thing is, we don't want to move interstate as we truly like Adelaide, but time will tell I guess. You're right that it's not all negative here ...after all...I was fortunate to jump in to work straight away and if he secures this role...I may well reduce my hours further and enjoy SA a little more :smile:.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Are you still currently in the same position? I work as a Career Consultant and as part of my personal plan to keep things in my life balanced I do some free work occasionally. If you are in Adelaide and would like to meet for a coffee I am happy to provide you professional support and guidance at no charge. Let me know if you are interested?

Kind regards,

Emma

Hi

Are you still currently in the same position? I work as a Career Consultant and as part of my personal plan to keep things in my life balanced I do some free work occasionally. If you are in Adelaide and would like to meet for a coffee I am happy to provide you professional support and guidance at no charge. Let me know if you are interested?

Kind regards,

Emma

Hi Emma

I will mention it to my husband...he is always happy to meet people for a coffee as he feels quite isolated during the day. I will speak to him this evening and PM you.

Many thanks

Sarah