Olympics 2016

snifter

I've been a bit slack at posting anything so far so got my act together today finally.

I've been enjoying the Olympics immensely although I could do with it being ad free or far less ads and even better, having a red button option so you can watch any event currently on, like the BBC and their red button option, but accept Aus TV isn't quite there yet with such innovation :cute: I also get frustrated it is obviously being so slanted toward the Aussies competing and missing out on some amazing live events/races/medals etc as no Aussies were involved. Of course they show them later in the highlights but its not quite the same as watching live :unsure:

I'm still rather clueless who many of the Aussie presenters are and also many of the Aussie representing their country. I do follow some sports in depth and so recognise lots of the Aussies in those but for the rest, I look a bit blank.

I still cheer Team GB on and am chuffed the team is doing so well. Got up really early the other day to watch the track cycling and cheer the GB team on. Same with one or two other events. I do cheer the Aussies on also (although not in events where they are head to head with GB). My Aus hubby is cheering his team on and my son identifies fully as an Aussie now and cheers them on too (although he does love Cav in the cycling and cannot help but cheer him on when competing).

The time difference has been a bit of a bugger too but there. I quite enjoy the later evening TV viewing and up early to watch stuff. I also found the Rio timetable of events handy and have recorded a few things and watched them as soon as I woke.

7 mate and 7 two usually have live events on and often don't have the Aussies competing. The main 7 channel seems to be the Aussie following channel and Rio today is to be avoided unless you want to know all about the Aussie competitors and how they are getting on. I've seen a few comments about the coverage being biased to the Aussies but I really don't think that's being all that fair. I watched the men's 10k Sunday morning and pretty much the entire focus was on Mo Farrah. I think the Aussies were mentioned maybe twice during the half hour the race took. Watching the 100m and 400m sprints the Aussies may have well not been there either for all the attention they got from the commentators. And the finals were still shown even without Aussies in them.

There have been plenty of other times when the coverage on 7 mate and 7 two has no Australians in site. As I type the USA are playing France on one channel and the women's gymnastics is on the other. And as Tamara says there is also an app that allows you to choose what you want to watch.

We've been mostly watching the women's beach volleyball (not out of any particular love of the sport, more it seems to be on when we put the TV on) and I was quite stunned at the effort the Aussies had to put in to beat the Polish team - stereotyping perhaps but I just don't equate Poland with a beach lifestyle...

We lost to the USA last night though, so.

Just watched Team GB on the track, just awesome and history making.

Lara Trott and Jason Kenny have 10 golds between them!

Beautiful to see the old photo of the 10 year old Trott wearing wiggo's gold medal, with Brad Wiggins at the 2004 olympics, she now has 4 gold of her own.

Excellent to see the comments by Cav thanking the team leadership, mechanics, nutritionists , clothiers , and the whole team spirit , the people you don't see he quoted.

Edited by deryans

Can't wait for it to be over.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know for some its not appealing. Least its only on C7 channels and not on others also. Mind you, we've not watched free to air channels in months till the Olympics began. Its been Foxtel or nothing pretty much.

Have you installed the channel 7 olympics app?

It's great for catching up with missed events and is useful for sneaky watching when you are supposed to be working :biggrin:

Not when you have to pay for the premium access :nah:. I think thats really off. I'd happily pay say a few $$ for a decent well done app but from what I can see its not a great app and then to have to pay for access to events once you've installed it isn't something I want to do :unsure:

I do miss the BBC for this. Their Olympics coverage is top notch and the digital set up now means you have some many options via the red button and online. And ad free. And all as part of the annual licence fee.

Edited by snifter
eta