Hi All

BazandJess

Hi All, we're in the process of emigrating to Adelaide from Wales. We currently have all our belongings packed up in a shipping container awaiting out visa before it can be shipped so are currently living at the mother in laws!

Has anyone recently applied and received the 457 visa? I've been told I'm a very string case as a qualified accountant and moving within the same company to Australia site in the Barossa region, does anyone have a clue on how long a fairly straight forward application would take? I've been told anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 months ! which doesn't really help with planning but I guess each case is different.

Also I am looking into finances and wondered if any one would share what monthly out goings they have (roughly) to help budget, we are a couple and have a 1 year old baby. I've estimated the following costs but I'm not sure if they are realistic?!

Rent (3 bed hopefully near semaphore) $450 a week

Food $120 a week

Utilities $220 a month (Gas/Elec/Water)

Council rates $150 ? a month

Mobile $50 a month (BYO phone plan)

Broadband $60 a month (unlimited data for Skype/facetime)

Car costs

Am I missing anything obvious?

We are a couple with our own house, so I can't comment on all your items, but I think you need to include the considerable fuel costs travelling to the Barossa from Semaphore each day. (I personally think it is too far to travel for work each day when there are such beautiful places to live around the Barossa). However, fuel per litre is considerably cheaper than UK.

I cannot manage to live on $120 per week for food and incidentals. More like $150+, but I rarely shop at markets and we don't eat takeaways often.

Utilities, depends on the house etc. but houses are not well insulated here and electricity in SA is the most expensive in the country. Our utilities cost $240 a month in winter, but $50 less in summer as we have a small solar system.

You will not have to pay Council Rates, that is the landlords responsibility, as is the Emergency Services Levy.

My broadband is not unlimited,but I Skype weekly and never go over, for $70 a month. You may need costs of a landline, unless you can go naked ADSL.

Just check the address before you commit to a rental as there are some Internet service problems around Semaphore. Others can tell you more as I only hear accounts of that.

Car costs will include transfer stamp duties, registration and insurance, as well as your own Comprehensive Insurance. I pay $719 registration/govt. ins. and $500 Comprehensive Motor Inst. a year. You will also have to get a SA Driving Licence.

Don't forget to include Household contents Insurance.

Everyone's spending habits are so different it's hard to judge what is average.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks for your reply cliffy.

I have factored in motoring costs at $500 a month to include insurance and licences etc (not including the cost of purchasing a vehicle) but that was more of a finger in the air guess.

We have our heart set on Semaphore - according to google maps it should take about 45 mins from semaphore to where I work in the Barossa - I appreciate there will be traffic at peak time but when I looked at tea tree gully and golden grove, hihgbury areas these were all coming out about 40 mins + too so I don't think its that bad. I currently drive about 50 mins each way in Wales so am used to it. We love the beach and if we could walk to it that would be perfect for us.

I think if we came to buy out in Aus then we would look at other area - I like the look of some of the Barossa towns but not sure they offer enough to do and then we would need to travel further to the beach areas and areas below Adelaide.

I didn't realise the rental price included council rates! thanks After all the bills etc have gone I should be left with $250-300 a week

I think we will be cautious with spending especially until we get into a routine and know where we stand with bills etc.

Thanks once again

Thinking with a young baby you won't manage on $120 a week for food if you factor in nappies and formula etc it's expensive

We are living rural ie kangarilla so some 20 kms from shopping centres etc plus we travel to see grandchildren etc Our petrol bill is around $ 70 a week

Hi, your budget looks pretty good. We pay $60/month for unlimited internet (a naked plan) and $45 a month BYO phone plan with Amaysim. Unlimited calls and SMS in Australia and also to the UK unlimited (including mobiles!)

The only adjustment I'd make is food. My food budget is more $180-$200 a week and I menu plan carefully, don't waste hardly at all, buy basics at Aldi, fruit and veg from markets/greengrocers and cook most things from scratch. That's all meals for my partner and I and our one year old, and includes nappies and toiletries, cleaning products etc (everything except booze, special dinner parties etc and eating out). Food shopping is definitely more expensive here. (but petrol is much cheaper - it balances out!)

I think living in Semaphore and working in the Barossa is a great plan. Whilst it's a personal choice, I couldn't live in the Barossa - too rural and far out from the city for me. It is beautiful but I think Semaphore is a great area for a young family - close to the city, right at the beach and still commutable to the Barossa.

Oh last thing, you won't pay council rates if you're renting. Owners need to pay the rates. Just rent, contents insurance (very cheap) and depending on your contract, probably water usage (but not the water supply portion of your water bill).

I'd adjust your budget for shopping also. Nappies, baby stuff, cleaning materials, washing detergent, toiletries can all sneak into a weekly shop quite often. I'd think allow at least $150.

Also factor in things like if you will want private medical and dental insurance. This can be costly.

Then things like childcare (one of you may not be working but that person may well want a bit of time away

so both baby and you spend time with other people) baby essentials as little one grows and other things that crop up in life.

Factor in one off purchases such as an Aus legal car seat (UK ones are not legal here).

I'd be interested to see what other people suggest for elec and gas, I would say more like $300 plus water if you have to pay for that.

I think you could possibly do $120 for food (groceries only) but you'd have to have another budget for household and personal care items. Better be more realistic and group all that together for say $200. And menu plan too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, we live in North Haven which is only a couple of minutes up the road from Semaphore and rent a lovely 3 bedroom house a couple of minutes walk from the beach. We pay $450 per week for it. I love where we live and regularly pop down to Semaphore. Our 2 year old daughter goes to childcare in Semaphore which we pay about $96 per day (she goes 4 days a week). I agree with others about the weekly food bill - we pay between $140-$160 per week.

If you want to know anything about the Semaphore area let me know