Famiily of 3 (plus a cat) making the move!

Glencoe

So I've read reams and reams of threads on sister sites and decided to take the plunge and register.

We literally decided that Adelaide was the place for us to make the move to this week. As we we made the decision, we're not moving this week! :biglaugh:

We are a family of three, myself, my husband and our young child. We're also going to bring our wee rescue cat with us.

Couldn't decide between NSW, WA and SA, however, we feel on balance SA would be best to start in.

I have been devouring the pages on Adelaide (etc) with particular interest to the job pages. It seems things are tough, good to go with an open mind and low expectations. (I have found it mildly amusing some posters here, despite leaving SA a while ago, can't help but to try to devalue the place as much as possible due to their bad experiences. Although it wasn't a good move for them, their posts do make me smile, just get on with your life!)

Anyway, I digress...

We're hoping to make the move mid 2017. Seems far away now, however in reality with so much to organise there isn't much time here. We reside currently on the west of Scotland.

I'll probably ask a million questions as we go, however, for now just wanted to step out of the lurking shadows and say hi.

So, hi !

Hello and welcome to the forum :) If you've been reading PIO you are probably a bit more hardened to the negative views as they are often given there. Its not a bad thing but I think then coming to a quieter local forum such as this it can be different again of course. Far more sedate but still with some strong views :)

Anyways, good luck with it all. I am guessing you know what visa you are applying for and have worked out you are eligible for SA?

Some have struggled in Adelaide work wise, there is no denying that, but others are quite happy thank you very much and are enjoying life, working and have settled well. Some find Adelaide isn't the city for them in the longer term so move interstate. I don't know what your line of work is or if you mind a career change once here if it needs it. But you seem to have done your homework and decided what you want. I hope things work out for you. It could be a tough move and work may be hard to come by so be prepared for all eventualities. You sound like you are anyways :cute:

Adelaide has been a good move for us for sure. Much better in most aspects of our lives. There are 3 of us, myself, husband and son (who was 5 when we moved over). We are all very happy and settled a few years in thats for sure. If we weren't we'd have made changes but wasn't needed and we've no complaints other than the usual little day to day niggles you get living anywhere.

Mid 2017 isn't that far away and its amazing how soon it will come round. Once Christmas is out the way you'll be full steam ahead I am sure. Get researching the cat vaccination for rabies and the bloodwork and ensure you are up on that well in advance of the move as it can be a good few months needed for it all (even longer iirc).

Feel free to ask away here and hopefully we'll be able to help. Look forward to hearing how things go :)

Thanks Snifter. Yes, regular lurker of PIO! Plus a few other forums. Balanced view and all.

I have Australian citizenship and my OH will have a partner visa so we're sorted in that respect. Well, not exactly sorted but on our way with the process.

Yes, we were just saying last night we need to organise the jags etc for the wee fluffy highness. Thanks for the reminder.

It's good, no, great to know many are settled and happy. If you just went by some poster's threads you would think no-one was happy nor working! Glad it's worked out well for you.

Thanks for the offer for assistance with questions, I'm sure I'll have many!

Hello and welcome!

The move doesn't always work out for everyone...never has and never will.

Having said that, I personally know of hundreds of families who have made the move, have settled and are doing well.

All the best with your move! :smile:

Thank you. Yes could not agree more, that's why I don't understand why some folk feel the need to cling onto this site and try to make the place sound awful constantly. There is good and bad in everything and one person's experience will be completely different. I'm happy those who are happy stay, those who aren't are able to to move on to their happy place :-)

Who knows what our experience will be like! I will remind myself of this post two years from now :-)

I am one of those people who has shared my experience's of Adelaide. Most of which has been Negative. I'm honest with my opinions when prospective migrants comment and will not differ from that. If that's rattling your cage then so be it. If I feel a migrant in a particular similarity to my situation comments then I will do my upmost to uphold my honest opinion of Adelaide. The Place wasn't for me and my family but if for any reason a person asks the same questions I was then damn sure I will tell them of my personal experiences whether it breaks the status quo or not!!!

I am one of those people who has shared my experience's of Adelaide. Most of which has been Negative. I'm honest with my opinions when prospective migrants comment and will not differ from that. If that's rattling your cage then so be it. If I feel a migrant in a particular similarity to my situation comments then I will do my upmost to uphold my honest opinion of Adelaide. The Place wasn't for me and my family but if for any reason a person asks the same questions I was then damn sure I will tell them of my personal experiences whether it breaks the status quo or not!!!

My goodness. I can see that your experience in Adelaide really shook you to the core. How awful for you and your family. I do hope you are in a better place now. Sounds like this is really eating away at you inside and that's not a nice place to be. I'm sure no one has asked you to lie about your experiences? I think it is good to hear a mix of experiences, however I query the 'why' more below).

A forum is just that, a mix of good and bad comments about experiences. Everyone's experience is different I'm sure. My musings were simply wondering why people who had had a bad experience were so desperately trying to make the place seem as bad as possible with the (possible) intention that everyone would have an awful time there too.... (Based on the unhappy people's unique and individual set/s of experiences). Why they couldn't feel like they could close the door and simply move on with their lives to a better place suited to them than Adelaide. I do understand that some people hang around to help others.

edit - I should say it it just something I noticed (not only on this forum). It's actually good to hear honest accounts, I enjoy reading pretty much everything everyone has to say.

No, it doesn't rattle my cage. Simply musings that makes me smile and wonder. It's interesting to 'watch'.

Edited by Glencoe

You seem to get off on people's misfortunes. You will fit right in Adelaide. Oh BTW it didn't shook me to the core it made me appreciate where I am now. Enjoy and I hope Adelaide is good for you and doesn't break you because karmas a bitch ay?

Edited by snifter
removed personal comments

You seem to get off on people's misfortunes. You will fit right in Adelaide. Oh BTW it didn't shook me to the core it made me appreciate where I am now. Enjoy and I hope Adelaide is good for you and doesn't break you because karmas a bitch ay?

ok cool

Edited by snifter
quoted text

My musings were simply wondering why people who had had a bad experience were so desperately trying to make the place seem as bad as possible with the (possible) intention that everyone would have an awful time there too.... (Based on the unhappy people's unique and individual set/s of experiences). '.

We've been here for a fair while, and I can't imagine going back to the UK. Our experiences have been mostly happy, but we are pretty resilient - and have been lucky, I think - so that would colour my posts.

In defence of those people who do come back and post negative / honest (you choose the word!), I actually think it's good of them.

One poster isn't even in the country anymore, but his comments are, I believe, relevant for the mindset we have here. People who share information about problems finding work, or our 'small-town' mentality, or whatever are surely opening potential migrants to a more realistic expectation of life in SA. Or they might simply need our support...to find out they are not the only ones unemployed despite their best efforts.

Life here is, for many, all they dreamed, but for others it seems to have been a demoralising, expensive nightmare. As you said, a forum is a mix of comments and experiences, and I personally think that's important for those deciding to make the move. As they say, "sunshine doesn't pay the bills" ( although it can certainly help offset the cost of electricity!). Whether a post is construed as positive, or negative, they are both "based on....unique and individual...experiences" aren't they?

Moving on, congratulations on deciding to come back to Australia. Where did your family live when you were here? Are they excited for you? So nice that your child is young, I always think that making friends etc when you have littlies is easier, and I'm sure you'll assimilate in no time.

Welcome,

:smile::wubclub:

LC

Thank you. Yes could not agree more, that's why I don't understand why some folk feel the need to cling onto this site and try to make the place sound awful constantly. There is good and bad in everything and one person's experience will be completely different. I'm happy those who are happy stay, those who aren't are able to to move on to their happy place :-)

Who knows what our experience will be like! I will remind myself of this post two years from now :-)

I think its hard for those who have had a bad experience or whose time of Adelaide is filled with mostly negative views of it. I'd hope they don't only have negative to look back on but often, even if there are any positives in any way, these can be overlooked or ignored or not a focus of their attention as they are drawn and focus on the negative things as this is what is driving them. I get it as it probably hurts a lot. People move their families, use their hard earned money to move and then arrive somewhere and struggle and face an uphill battle for work or to settle or like the place they moved to for whatever reason. The same can happen moving from one part of the UK to another or any other country. No one can predict how it will go and everyones story is different. I don't feel that being angry or constantly negative about somewhere and looking back on it repeatedly is healthy in the long term but everyone has a process of dealing with things and works through them in their own time. I'd be wanting to put my energy more into my new life and home wherever that is and not keep looking back. I pretty much did that when we moved here and we left the UK in a very happy place mentally and had no real argument with it in any way. We had a good life there, we have a better one here now. We've worked hard (not just employment work but in other ways)and had some tears and laughter on the way to this point.

I freely admit I have negatives about it here but not in major ways that impact my families or my own life or happiness. We are perhaps lucky that my husband was working from the off (he went self employed) and I was able to work part time to start and have built up from there. I don't say Adelaide is perfect, far from it, but then no place I've ever lived is perfect, everywhere has its downsides or issues, depending on your situation. We lived rural in the UK for many years but it was lack of employment opportunities for my husband that drove us to moving to a city elsewhere in the country. We loved the rural life but sadly the salaries and job options to go with it were dire and the house prices high (thanks second home owners and all that). It meant him working away Mon-Fri in Surrey and coming home on weekends and we both hated that. Plus we had two lots of bills etc to find and cars to run. It simply became too expensive to maintain for us with a young child so we sought to make changes. I'm not bitter about having to leave or angry, if anything I was sad as I loved living rural and was far happier in terms of life overall but money was our driving factor. So yes, to a degree we've been there and done that.

I've lived in a number of countries and in various places in the UK. I've yet to live anywhere where I can only give negatives about a place overall. I can give negatives for certain aspects of life, be it work, education, social etc but not all or only negative. There are always some positives to be found but I appreciate if its a really big thing like lack of work, of course this is going to be a tough thing and can really cause upset and stress.

For me with regard to Adelaide I enjoy my life here and its not been clouded by lack of work or income. We've certainly had things happen that are far from great, pretty tough in fact on occasion but you get on with things, deal with them, come out the other side and are usually able to find enjoyment and happiness in life again. Had we not been able to find work or been really unhappy here for some reason, we had always had an open mind to moving elsewhere in Aus and this perhaps helped us going into the move and since we arrived.

I don't think there is any right or wrong with it all. People react differently and on a public forum, the written word can be interpreted so wildly, the tone of a post misconstrued or some such. Positive and negative views can cause people to react in different ways also. Someone on another forum (re migration this was) said something that made me think, that only expressing the negatives continually may make others reading dismiss those views altogether. I wonder if only waxing lyrical on the positives could cause the same effect? Or if it comes down to the person reading the words on the screen. Or something else entirely :cute:

In the end for me, I know my own mind, my husband his and we took the decision together to make the move here and its been a good move. I didn't really pay much mind to the negatives (and there were plenty back then too) people wrote back then else we may not have moved! Those worries before you move are always valid and no one has a crystal ball. End of the day, people will move or they won't. I doubt a forum is going to stop someone if they really want to move. Only finding out for themselves will be enough and I hope people making the move anywhere in Aus are prepared for all eventualities and possibly not having work or it taking a while to happen. Same with working out schools, areas to live and more, it doesn't happen overnight and it may not happen as you want or had hoped. Until you are faced with things, you cannot know how you will react or cope. Savings, a plan B and C and so on are all good things to migrate with for sure.

Hi LC and thanks for the welcome. I lived in many places across Oz before (WA, NT, NSW) however my other half and child were born in the UK so they haven't. I love living in the UK and I love many things about Australia also. They can be wildly different places and all have good and bad, as does every country. My OH and I are excited to be making the move. Feel nervous and sad, happy, excited all in one day. We both feel we would like a 'sea change' and feel the time is right to try Oz. If it doesn't work out then we tried, albeit a very expensive try, and I think that is what is worrying me the most. A partner visa (like most visas) are very expensive! We feel it's good to make a move to somewhere I haven't lived before, a new start for us as a couple and as new parents (our child is very small). I love reading how many people say Adelaide is a great place to raise kids. Sunshine doesn't pay the bills you're right, but it just might help with mood (SAD etc..).

I can appreciate it must be cathartic for people who haven't had a good time to write about their experiences. I do agree balance is the right way for new migrants, absolutely 100% agree. I guess I just didn't understand where someone had left and then wrote purely negative and not helpful comments as in 'you'll hate it here it's horrible; good luck, you're going to need it' sort of thing rather than 'this was my experience to give balance and also possibly help warn you about something/give you a realistic view'. But it's just words on a screen, I know. I do feel the purely 'you'll hate it here, it's horrible posts' may garner negative feelings for someone who perhaps isn't that confident about moving and it could put them off, however, maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's not... who knows, yes everyone's experience is unique and individual. My queries were purely one of "wonder". What I've concluded is a forum is just a forum. Anyone can write anything they like (within forum rules) and their postings don't have to be something that helps someone else. It's been an interesting social experience.

Also one thing about 'writing' (in whatever form it may be) doesn't give tone. I am not a sarcastic person and am genuinely warm and friendly (bring me the bucket ha!). If I say on a forum 'I'm sorry you went through that, that must have been hard' or likewise, it's genuinely meant. However, if someone is in a dark space they will read that as sarcastic and negative and strike back. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I can appreciate that.

All in all just musings, things I've noticed on many forums and always just wondered why I guess.

I really enjoy this forum, it's given really good insight so far and I look forward to reading more.

Hi Snifter. Thanks for your post. I enjoyed reading it. The more I've read and tried to understand/have an open mind, the more I feel I 'get' why people are so negative. They had a bad time and aren't in a good space so it would be incredibly hard to see others having a good/easy time of it. We're all human after all. Not being a negative person myself my queries were based on that of 'I wonder why'. It's making more sense now. No-one has a perfect life (well, maybe someone is out there with a perfect life!) :-) and we all have ups and downs. "That's life" as they say.

edit to say : I had a very horrible experience in one place I lived in Australia for two years. I was tied into a job and couldn't leave but it was absolutely excruciating. I can't see myself going onto a forum and writing about the place in a negative light however as that was my personal unique experience and therefore nothing to 'warn' people about. Perhaps others would have had a good time. That's just me tho, everyone is different.

Edited by Glencoe

I also think there is a difference between sharing negative experiences, being generally negative about a place and insulting everyone who doesn't share your negative views. The first is very helpful and honest, the second I can understand and can be helpful but they aren't always that factual, and the third is just unnecessary and says far more about the person posting than the place they are posting about.

I love Adelaide and have been lucky to have found a great job with lovely people. My OH has had slightly less luck in the job area but has been in work for most of the time we have been here. Some people say Adelaide is boring but I think half the time what they really mean is they haven't got mates to go out to the pub with. There is loads going on in Adelaide pretty much all year round but it's not always well publicised. Not that we ever seem to have time to do any of it ourselves between children's sporting activities, domestic chores and visiting the mother in law. Adelaide is very much a small town though, maybe not so much in size but there is definitely a bit of a small town attitude around. And NIMBYism. Which can drive me a bit nuts at times but is no worse than were I grew up in the UK.

I lived in many places across Oz before (WA, NT, NSW) however my other half and child were born in the UK so they haven't. I love living in the UK and I love many things about Australia also. They can be wildly different places and all have good and bad, as does every country. My OH and I are excited to be making the move. Feel nervous and sad, happy, excited all in one day. We both feel we would like a 'sea change' and feel the time is right to try Oz. If it doesn't work out then we tried, albeit a very expensive try, and I think that is what is worrying me the most. A partner visa (like most visas) are very expensive! We feel it's good to make a move to somewhere I haven't lived before, a new start for us as a couple and as new parents (our child is very small). I love reading how many people say Adelaide is a great place to raise kids.

I know what you mean about - well, more than one thing, really! We also loved the UK, but my OH had always had itchy feet so we just went for it!

We had the option of a few different states, and had family in Victoria, but decided on SA because it's smaller (in population, not size!) and we wanted to start out on our own, knowing no one. That's not to say we didn't use a site similar to this, though one that's long gone now, but we didn't want to live through other people's experiences, friends, and judgements, if that makes any sense.

My kids are both happy they were brought up here (although they only started in primary school), fiercely proud of being Australian, and I don't think I could ask for a better recommendation :smile:.

It is an expensive process for sure, but there are so few guarantees with life and it is only money after all (:err:). Money offers choice, IMHO, but it doesn't necessarily bring happiness. They say you don't tend to regret the things you do as much as the things you don't do. If it goes wrong, and you have a strong relationship, you'll still have each other.

:wubclub: LC

Hi there, Glencoe! Adelaide's great, in our opinion. It's certainly a good place to start your Ozzie Adventure, and hopefully the road to the rest of your life. Yes, there will be plenty of questions before you set off, so ask away. The time will fly and you'll be here in no time! Happy planning, preparing and packing! x

Thanks Snifter. Yes, regular lurker of PIO! Plus a few other forums. Balanced view and all.

I have Australian citizenship and my OH will have a partner visa so we're sorted in that respect. Well, not exactly sorted but on our way with the process.

Yes, we were just saying last night we need to organise the jags etc for the wee fluffy highness. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi Glencoe! Hope you're enjoying the last days of Summer in the UK. I read the UK press every day online and the weather forecast for the next two weeks sounds just lovely! I wish you all happy days ahead with all your preparations to migrate to Oz. x

Edited by barbaitch

So that's it then, Ken. You didn't like it and will say so, if anyone asks. But why bother in the first place? If you don't like it, I presume you've returned to the UK. If not, you should, because life's too short to be staying where you're not happy. Although, if you haven't left Australia yet, I would respectfully remind you to think back to what made you leave the UK in the first place. That's a tough one, I know, but the answer could be in there somewhere.

Blimey!! Glencoe was only asking!! She didn't mean to rattle your cage, I'm sure, but you're obviously rattled. Yes, Karma could seem to be a bitch, but as it only reflects one's input, it's pretty much a reflection of what we are and the way we live our life, don't you think? It's like-for-like, or 'do as you would be done by'. I wish you well, Ken.

Hi Glencoe! Hope you're enjoying the last days of Summer in the UK. I read the UK press every day online and the weather forecast for the next two weeks sounds just lovely! I wish you all happy days ahead with all your preparations to migrate to Oz. x

Hi! We are enjoying it actually. It has been raining this week however the next few days have been forecast to be sunny and warm! Will definitely try to get out and about. Thank you for your kind thoughts, appreciate it. Wish you all the best too :-)