Teaching Jobs

TheTaylors

Hello and welcome :)

I'm not a teacher, just know a fair few of them :) I'll just tell you what they tend to tell me.

I'd think you'll have missed the window for the 2018 permanent and 1 year contract posts if arriving in October. I think they tend to come out in June or July and applications are in after that. October will leave you one term of the school year to get the teaching registration, police check and anything else sorted and then get round schools and hand out a resume. As to if any supply work will come your husbands way that last term I don't know. By then many teachers/schools have their regular go to supply teachers they have used in the past and over the year and my understanding is they tend to go to them first then work their way down the list/pile. Doesn't mean he won't get work but I'd be budgeting and planning for him not having much and to be careful with spending etc to begin with.

The 2018 year means a new round of dropping off the CV to schools, getting your face known and being available for supply work. Term 1 usually starts the end of Jan or the start of Feb some years. IIRC school reception/offices are open a week or two before school starts.

I don't know what the current situation for English teachers is here. I thought the shortfall was in science and maths generally, not heard anything about English teachers being in short supply HS wise. Also in and around Adelaide there are probably a lot of teachers seeking work or available for supply work. 1 year and permanent contracts are sought after. Doesn't mean jobs are not to be found but keep in mind there may be many applying for the same posts.

Your husband may have more luck at private schools but its impossible to say for sure how this will go.

The other thing to consider is looking away from Adelaide to rural SA somewhere. The big shortage of teachers isn't really in Adelaide I don't think, its more the smaller towns and more rural areas that struggle to get teachers in. I know people who've gone to Mt Gambier and around there for work teaching. Rural SA or being a long way from Adelaide generally doesn't appeal to many migrants but it could mean an opening for you if you wanted to take it for a year or two.

Edited by snifter
eta

My husband teaches year 7, the last year of primary school here.

He prepared a cv when we arrived and after registering as a teacher began visiting schools. He also regoistered with relief teaching pools which are st a number of different schools. Within a few days he had a few days work and then was offered and started a contract at one of the schools.

Just 4 weeks after arriving in 2013 he had a contract which became permanent. He may have been lucky but if you are prepared to work in northern suburbs, which tend to be harder and more challenging roles with higher staff turnover he should find work without too many issues.