Costco membership... Discuss!

Sallyh

Hey all, help a frugalista out!!

Student budget living for us. :)

I started a price book a while back but haven't kept up with it. I generally do pretty well trying to feed the family on a budget ( shoe string) and so far haven't joined or visited Costco.

I have a few friends who are members but they pretty much describe it as fun and their visits are full of impulse purchases. They seem to think they don't get stuff much cheaper for being members, just that you buy more in bulk.

So what are your Costco experiences? Are there certain things you buy that you save on? Do you think a membership saves you money? Do you shop around and buy some things in some places, some elsewhere? I sort of do that with Aldi when I have the time, and know roughly what to get there and what to get at Coles.

I don't buy convenience food except for some snacks (rice cakes, crisps, sometimes muesli bars) so it's standard raw ingredients and household items I'm looking at in my main grocery shopping.

Incidentally I have noticed that being disloyal to Coles really pays off because they are throwing extra points at me left right and centre, as my shopping there isn't regular. And we have 2 fly buys cards, so when one is neglected for a while we get good points offers. It was accidental having 2 accounts and I meant to combine them but it turns out that they are watching our loyalty more than ever before, probably because of the Aldi and Costco competition.

Thoughts tips and price info greatly appreciated!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will be following this with interest, as for me Costco sounds like it would be more fun than savings-related! And I don't want to spend $60+ bucks buying stuff I simply don't need.

The only thing I can offer is that I've heard Costco have their own servo, so savings can also be made on petrol. Handy if it's a) true and b) you live close enough to profit from it!

It's true but so far that Coles servo has had some of the cheapest petrol around because they compete with the Costco prices. And there's the Coles 4c off voucher. Which if you spend $20 in the store they change to 10 or 14c off. They have handy $10 packs of toilet paper in the servo, conveniently. Although how I split my budget that doesn't actually really work for me.

I'd go with a friend and check it out. If you are on a budget then it may not work for you as its savings come from buying in bulk and not impulse buying IMHO. We used Costco in the UK from time to time and it was fine but I'd only buy the stuff we use lots of and buy it in bulk.

For example, when Costco opened here, we did some sums and worked out if you bulk bought a years supply of toilet paper that would be the cost of the membership saved IYKWIM. But then its having somewhere to store such a big bulk buy :cute:

Things I would bulk buy

Pasta

rice

flour

sugar

tinned stuff

cleaning products (ie toilet cleaner, washing up detergent, soap powder etc)

other non perishables

long shelf life condiments etc

You need to make the savings and make the trip worthwhile if working to a budget. If you can use someone elses card for a shop there say every 3 months then it may well be worthwhile for you :)

I have a bulk purchasing budget so I save up for things like who gives a crap toilet paper, someone I know is usually doing a mass purchase of that. So yes I'd want to have a set amount aside from our normal grocery budget to buy certain things in bulk that work out cheaper that way. I make all my own bread so if bread flour was good and worth it, I'd buy that for example.

We don't have a good amount of storage space in our house, so I couldn't store a years worth of toilet paper for example. We had to minimise our possessions to fit in this house, so we don't have a lot of room for stocking up.

Something like pasta: Coles cheapest is so cheap, I wonder whether it's even possible to beat at Costco?

Thanks snifter,I will def get along there with a friend and have a look and see what's what. Its a 10 min drive from my house so I shop at Churchill centre anyway, when I'm not paying foodland postcode tax at the end of my street!!

So my friend got back to me and neither she, nor the other friend who was a member, have renewed theirs. Which tells me what I suspect, that it's not a good enough saving to be worth it.

I'd probably be better joining a co-op on Facebook which both of those friends also do. I'm so over Facebook I think that would be a major step backwards but I will think about it.

First off, you can go and have a look around without being a member, or being with a member.

It is worth it once you have your set things, and have compared prices. Pasta is more expensive at Costco than Coles.

We always buy from there: cat litter, dishwasher tablets, kitchen towel, tubs of pre cooked rice, bacon, frozen chicken wings, orange juice, tubs of mandarin segments, tins of tomatoes, razors, deodorant, laughing cow cheese, shredded cheese, half lamb packs.

We did buy lots of things at the start that you realise later you don't actually use all of within the use by dates. So now we stick to those things. I will buy kids books there sometimes too.

Before I was on maternity leave I would just stop off on the way home from work once every 3 weeks or so. I'm going less often now as its a bit out of the way and they don't have baby trollies.

But go and have a look around. Have the Coles online shopping open on your phone so you can compare prices.

One great thing with Costco, if you buy anything there, and keep your membership up then it has a lifetime guarantee. Lots of people on their Facebook fan page thingy have said they have taken things like TVs back 3 years later and got a refund with none of the having to send it away with other places etc. however, their electrical items more more on the higher end.

Yes. I'm not brand loyal on the whole or shop loyal either. I suspect that's another reason why it would be fun but not financially worth it. I'll go with a friend when I get an opportunity.

You can go on your own, you just can't buy anything. Even if you go with a friend, you can't pay for things seperatly, and if by card it has to be in the members name.

We have been members since 2002 in UK and use our UK card here still. I do think Aldi is cheaper for many things and worth trying, their dishwasher tabs are great and cheaper than Costco or Coles for instance.

where Costco always wins for us is higher price items. Just bought a Tv and Fridge Freezer and even paying for delivery cheaper than elsewhere.. The biggest thing though is when anything goes wrong, no hassle return/ replacement none of the send away for repair malarkey you get are good guys.

We even brought an espresso machine with us that we bought in the Costco Uk, it developed a fault after a year here in Adelaide. Took it back and got a cash refund no bother. Went and bought another one. You don't get a massive choice but usually a good one. They also offer longer guarantees than the standard manufacturers or other retailers.

Always buy their Salmon portions and do still buy the pasta as it is better quality than the cheaper ones so worth it, and it doesn't go off.

Good for some clothes and Christmas gifts too. We easily get our membership back so always renew.

You can go on your own, you just can't buy anything. Even if you go with a friend, you can't pay for things seperatly, and if by card it has to be in the members name.

Thats really useful info. Thanks @Blossom!

Like Sallyh, we have friends that have offered to take us, but I don't want to waste a visit with them trolling around some shop! Mega-super-boring. But I might travel over there for a quick look.

Disappointingly, it doesn't sound like Costco membership would have much to offer us, us being parsimonious (aka broke!) vegans, but at least we could mooch over and check it out sometime.

Thanks all.

:cute: LC

Edited by Lazy Cow