Mozzies!

snifter

Not sure if this will prove true but if so then:/ I don't like getting bitten and since moving here, have discovered I react far more to the Aussie mozzies. I get really bad bites and its painful. So I tend to be extra careful to use repellant and keep the screen doors closed.

Any new arrivals arriving in the coming weeks or over the summer/autumn might want to get in some mozzie repellant and make sure if they are moving into a rental that it has good fly screens without holes. And encourage kids unfamiliar with screen doors what they are for and to shut them when they go through them.

Mosquito plague coming to NSW, South Australia, Victoria and Queensland

SUMMER is a time of year to soak up the sun and enjoy the outdoors.

But mosquitoes do tend to take a bit of enjoyment out of those warm evenings. You’re constantly slapping them against your skin and your conversation is interrupted by the shock sound of the insect flying into a bug zapper. So beware, because this summer mosquitoes are going to get worse and there could be a plague upon us.

Mosquitoes will be worse in Victoria, South Australia, southern NSW and southeast Queensland. Heavy rains are to blame for the spike in the annoying insect and mozzies are prompting public health concerns in Victoria. Seven flood-affected areas of Mildura, Swan Hill, Gannawarra, Campaspe, Moira, Wodonga and Shepparton, have brought forward mosquito management plans.

La Trobe University environmental management and ecology expert Susan Lawler told AAP paddocks were filled with “still, warm water”, which created the perfect environment for mosquitoes to breed and multiply. “We’ll have them around for a few more weeks yet until the weather starts drying up,” Dr Lawler said.

The Department of Health and Human Services has warned people to protect themselves from the mozzies so they don’t contract diseases like Ross River, Barmah Forrest and Murray Valley encephalitis. These diseases can lead to influenza like symptoms, causing aches, fatigue and inflammation.

The department says it is rare for mosquitoes to carry Murray Valley encephalitis, but it can cause the brain to swell, leading to brain damage or death, with the last human case recorded in 1974.

In 2015, there were 301 reported cases of Ross River virus and 11 cases of Barmah Forest virus.

“We are starting our efforts to control mosquitoes early this year as heavy rain has provided perfect breeding conditions,” Victoria’s chief health officer Charles Guest said in a statement.

“There are simple and inexpensive steps you can take to protect yourself and your loved ones.”

The storms that tore through South Australia last month also created an environment mozzies love. Chris Lease, of SA Health, told ABC the storm left a lot of mess and debris that collected water and created a breeding ground for mosquitoes. The insect is already buzzing around areas in southeast Queensland and experts are sharing their advice on how to best deal with them.

Griffith University’s mosquito management expert, Pat Dale, told Nine Newscitronella candles were only a short-term solution. Any repellent with DEET or diethyltoluamide is the best way to steer mozzies away.

Brisbane City councillor Peter Matic told Nine News crews were already spraying and managing mosquitoes at almost 2700 sites.

The Victoria Department of Health suggests wearing long and loose fitting outfits, as mosquitoes bite through tight clothing.

Empty wading pools when they are not being used, limit outdoor activity in the evening and install flywire screens.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/mosquito-plague-coming-to-nsw-south-australia-victoria-and-queensland/news-story/b379cf014112e4d5f74f049b626cdf62

I was going to mention this too....

There are so many mozzies around at the moment...during the day! My Oh who said "I don't get bitten" was covered in them the other day whilst putting a bike together under our carport. Very unusual. maybe the occasional one at night but to have so many around during the day was not normal. I had a look around for open water sources and blocked up the drains to the water tanks.

It's going to be an interesting summer....big bush fires are another issue that we need to prepare for!