2 and a half years in......

Ashleigh

So, we're 2.5 years into our Australian adventure.

There's me, (28) my husband (35) and our 5 year old daughter.

So overall really enjoyed the last 2 and a half years and really like Adelaide. Our daughter has settled really well, initially went to childcare (which i find so expensive! We paid $250 a week after the rebate that everyone is entitled too) Then we enrolled her into Kindy 5 days a fortnight along side childcare which she loves and is ready to start school in January. She is so happy here, has really adapted to Australia and has a full Australian accent!

I know the job front is hard but i managed to get a temporary job after 3 weeks of being here in admin, which turned permanent and i left there 13 months ago for the admin job i am in now which is great and really enjoying it.

Husband had his own business for the first 12 months, went ok but was too hard with clients not paying on time, so eventually jacked that in and is now full time perm with another company which has worked out a lot better for us and a lot less stress!

I love how sociable everyone is here, feel like there is always something to do come wind, rain or shine and i love finishing work in the summer and being able to go to the beach for a couple of hours in the sun shine!

We have met some really great people both Australian and English and feel glad we put ourselves out there so to speak, we would never of done that in the UK.

So things i miss, i recently went back to England for 3 weeks for my sisters wedding, it was so hard leaving and i questioned if i was doing the right thing coming back, felt so down for about a week but i feel ok now and just thankful for Skype, Facetime and Facebook. I do have days every now and again where i feel like i just want to go 'home' but then i look how happy our daughter is and the lifestyle she has (and that we have too) to know we made the right decision. I just wish it wasn't so far away! Missing family will always be hard where ever you are i think.

I miss Europe, and miss being able to go on holiday to another country and it not costing an arm and a leg...butttt on a positive note we have seen so many beautiful things here in SA and other parts of Australia.

Christmas....just not the same in the sun, not as big a build up i find...so one day hoping for us all to go back to the UK for Christmas.

Anyway, just a bit of an update, not all rosy but overall we are really happy here and will definitely be going for our citizenship in 18 months x

Edited by Ashleigh

What a lovely update :)

Sounds like you've found a good balance and its come together well for you all. The work aspect makes such a massive difference in how you settle here. Or don't settle as often happens without work and to be expected I think. Or those feelings or resentment towards the place grow as the frustration at not being able to get a job grow.

The self employed route was the one my husband took too when we came over 3.5 years ago. He did this for the first year, 18 months, and then went employed and works from a home office which really works well for all of us.

I'm glad your daughter is happy and settled well too. That is always a concern for us parents I think when making the move. 'Will our kids be happy?' rolls round our heads at awkward times and causes us to fret. Kids for the most part adapt really well, sure some bumps along the way but that could happen moving to a new area and new school within the UK as much as it could happen moving to Aus.

There are definitely pros and cons to being in Aus. The cheaper travel aspect is of course one of the cons. I'm wanting to go to NZ for a holiday but as we are planning another trip back to the UK next year sometime we can't do both and so the UK wins. TBH if it were not for my parents I'd not go to the UK, am very over it. Sure I miss other people but I don't need to see them and life goes on fine. As you said, skype, email and stuff helps there. But I'm very over my main holiday being the place I used to live. I had the same issue when I lived overseas elsewhere but after one horrible holiday in the UK I vowed to go elsewhere after that for hols and it was much better all round.

I find Christmas in the sun strange and am not sure I'll ever really be able to love it but I sure don't miss the soaking wet downpours on the day either. I managed to cook a full roast last year and we had about 15 people for Christmas lunch which was lovely. No matter how hard I try I can't get into the Christmas pageants here and while we went to the main one our first year, I'm happy to never go again :cute: I try to get as Christmassy as possible once schools break up and really embrace it more here than I did in England in that respect. Our house never looked overly Christmassy back there but here, I do both family and living rooms, dining and the hall. Really go to town :embarressed:

I do love New years here though. Its become a tradition to go to the Big Bash T20 game at Adelaide Oval and stay for the fireworks. Its a great night and then you are usually a safe bet to have a decent day weather wise the next day to hit the beach or some such. I love having a warm new years :cute:

Keep us posted and roll on citizenship :biggrin: