Amazon coming to Australia!

snifter

It seems to be happening.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I want to support Australian businesses etc but often don't buy from them as their websites for online shopping are dire, the service and delivery are slow and the prices are often non existent and you have to message them to enquire the price?! Its very slow here in terms of online shopping thats for sure. And I don't always want to have to travel many KM's to the other end of Adelaide to buy an item so in store shopping isn't really an appeal. And order online, collect instore, I get charged for or the stores I can collect are again a long way away or not somewhere I would normally be going near. All up, rather disappointing shopping wise in many respects.

Amazon could change all that. I used to shop a fair bit on Amazon UK and buy from sellers in their Marketplace too. I'd do so again here. From a consumer POV if its a good price, quick delivery and items are as described, I'll be using it.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/amazon-to-destroy-aussie-retail/news-story/eb46ca7590b11ca57d8f430a7ba062d5

I agree with shopping locally in principle, but, as in previous years, my grandchildren have several requests for Chtistmas gifts that I just can't get here. Last year I bought from Uk and yesterday I bought from New Zealand items which I could not find locally. I feel frustrated that I cannot buy here, but if Amazon sells the goods I will buy from them!

It'll be ok as long as we aren't forced to use the Australian site.

I'd not expect that to be the case as Amazon allows you to order from US when in UK and vice versa. And from other Amazon sites when elsewhere in the world. My main bugbear with Amazon UK is that many items are not able to be shipped to Aus. Yet from the US site you can order lots more to ship here. Thankfully if I really want something from the UK site I get it shipped to my parents who mail it on with a package they are sending. They are happy to do this and don't mind so it works for us.

I'd not expect that to be the case as Amazon allows you to order from US when in UK and vice versa. And from other Amazon sites when elsewhere in the world. My main bugbear with Amazon UK is that many items are not able to be shipped to Aus. Yet from the US site you can order lots more to ship here. Thankfully if I really want something from the UK site I get it shipped to my parents who mail it on with a package they are sending. They are happy to do this and don't mind so it works for us.

Depends if they do it now we have a designated site like marks and spencer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

well Amazon is available in Australia of course, so this might be all a bit misleading.

If you are fed up with high shipping costs try bundling services like MyUS for the States. Aldi and Kogan and Woolworths and Big W and Bunnings etc etc already do grocery/ delivery type services. For smaller electronic and hardware / tools etc etc I use Bang Good, which can be a tad slow but has dirt cheap shipping costs.

And of course most of the big Furniture , Hardware retailers will loan you a trailer

Really, -considering the distance between cities in Oz...I don't think we do that badly

My only real gripe is that anything delivered by Aust Post seems to need a signature, but they are happy to set up a mail box for you.

John B :swoon:

I didn't know about services like MyUS (which is probably a good thing or we'd be poorer than we are :wink: ) but that's really useful.

I also don't think we do too badly for online shopping - I manage to find everything we need; sometimes we have to wait a little longer, pay slightly more or substitute. It's got to be a supply and demand thing though - there just isn't the same customer base here in Australia as there is in the UK; which is one of the reasons we moved here.

I understand it can be frustrating if you're used to next day delivery and everything available at all times but Australia is an isolated island and I think it's just one of the things you have to learn to adapt to living here.