Reverse cycle Air conditioner

Bailey

Hi everyone

Does anybody know of a reputable person who works with RC Air Conditioners...our one keeps cutting out when we have high temperatures and we have recently had a new 'circuit board' (where all the switches are for electricity etc are kept outside) - sorry for not being specific as this is not my domain LOL...

We have recently had our house renovated and the last piece of work done was the lighting and it is since then we think things have been going wrong. We do not use our AC much only when it is hot 33+ and consecutive days of hot weather - hence why we really did not notice it straight away.

Any advice will be welcome! we live in the eastern part of the city

Thanks

Fiona

Hi I work with air conditioning and repairs. Firstly is the air con new and what sort of system is it? It is possible that the new circuit breaker installed for the A/C is not the right rating as if you only use the air con in hot temps it has to work harder and draws more power. Does it run for a while before cutting out or does it just trip straight away? It should be on a seperate circuit from the lights so should not interfere unless they share an RCD. Sorry for being vague but just need to know a few things before making assumptions

Thanks Curly for your speedy response and your time...

It is not a new AC we have had it since moving in 10+ old...hubby away atm so unable to answer 'what sort of system is it'? -

It runs for a while particularly first thing in the morning for about 3 hours then once it gets hotter in then 'trips'....I go outside to re activate it and then within 20m it begins again.....

As I mentioned it is a 'New Box' outside so whether it is more of an 'electrical' fault or something with my AC...?

BTW it is all on a separate circuit -

I really appreciate you answering my questions!!

Cheers

It sounds like you have a problem in the air con if it is running and then cutting out when it needs to do abit of extra work. Without looking at I would guess at maybe a compressor fault pulling more power when it gets hotter. For the system question is it ducted where it blows through grills on the ceiling, a wall unit or an evaporative unit which smiths on the roof outside. Always happy to help if I can.

I have a ducted reverse cycle system that used to give problems on really hot days...tripping out. The installation company first told me that this was normal as a safety feature but after more complaints it turned out that the circuit breaker on the house board was insufficient size to run it. They had installed the recommended one but there was an option for a higher rated breaker...once replaced, problem solved1 Hope that it's as simple as this and not a compressor issue.:smile:

Hi everyone

Does anybody know of a reputable person who works with RC Air Conditioners...our one keeps cutting out when we have high temperatures and we have recently had a new 'circuit board' (where all the switches are for electricity etc are kept outside) - sorry for not being specific as this is not my domain LOL...

We have recently had our house renovated and the last piece of work done was the lighting and it is since then we think things have been going wrong. We do not use our AC much only when it is hot 33+ and consecutive days of hot weather - hence why we really did not notice it straight away.

Any advice will be welcome! we live in the eastern part of the city

Thanks

Fiona

Hi Fiona

I am a Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Engineer and from what you have said it sounds more like what snifter has said than the other person claiming to work at air conditioning. If the compressor is running for three hours before it trips out I would say it's unlikely to be the compressor. If it's a single phase system it could be the starting gear or even a contactor. But unfortunately I'm in Ireland so you will need to get someone else to look at it. I hope this helps all the best.