Hi Everyone!!

Craig1988

Hello everyone, Myself & my girlfriend have a bit of a dilemma. we are moving away from the UK (currently live in the Peak District) and are looking at the options where we can go. my girlfriend is. chartered accountant and works for EY in Manchester. I'm a pastoral manager in a school and have a degree in youth work. so no problem for my GF getting a job as the company have a great relocation package.

We have looked at Canada (Vancouver) and a bit put off with the weather. we are currently thinking about Oz we've visited Sydney before and didn't enjoy, but we really liked Brisbane so we thought we should give the place a shot.. then we discovered Adelaide and it sounds and looks lovely.

So I have a few questions? does any work in the youth sector or in the school environment as a pastoral worker preferable an EBD school? where is the best places to live close enough to the beach? and how is everyone finding Adelaide life? what are your pros and cons?

I understand this forum must get hundreds of posts like this so I apologise in advance. :)

Thank youuuu

Craig

Hi

We moved here from the High Peak over 2 years ago and love it. Having visited other states we're really happy we chose Adelaide. Lots to love, little to dislike apart from the hoon drivers!

My organisation do lots of work in schools/youth work especially around the safe schools curriculum and are currently looking for staff in that area. Might be of interest to you?

I can pm u the name of the organisation. Our main office is in Woodville which is in the west so not far from beach suburbs.

Hi I can't really help you on the job front but Adelaide is an amazing place. Many nice beaches and lots of things to do especially this time of year. If you have a family or planning one it's fantastic for the kids with loads of parks and activities. We have only been here a few months so know what the transition is like. It's quite daunting driving around but you soon get used to the layout and it's a pretty easy place to navigate. We have looked around quite a few areas now and it all depends on the budget you have for how close to the beach you can get. Henley, Glenelg, are pretty expensive near the beach. You are never far from a nice beach though no matter where you live. We are near the city and our closest beach is Henley which is only 10 mins drive. We love going down there in the evening to watch the sun go down and you can park right next to the beach. We are looking at moving slightly south of the city as the house prices seem abit lower and more affordable but again dependant on budget we are thinking maybe seacliff, Brighton, Marino. The only thing that really worried us when we first arrived was the food prices in the Supermarket. Not like the deals you get in ASDA or Tesco. Once you get used to it though it doesn't seem so bad just need to shop around abit and I would highly recommend the Adelaide central market it's an amazing place with so much fresh food mostly from SA so local produce. It gets pretty busy though so if you don't like the hustle and bustle may be best to avoid. Hope this helps a little and if you want to look at house prices for a rough guide try realestate.com.au

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Cannot help re your line of work I'm afraid.

If you take a look at google maps you'll see Adelaide sprawls out for many miles along the coast and inland. The greater Adelaide area is pretty big and you can live as far south as Aldinga and north as North Haven and Outer Harbor if you really wanted to. Usually people wanting to be closer to the beaches settle for somewhere in between depending on their budget. Curly mentioned Brighton, Marino and Seacliff as but budget wise you can expect to pay as much in those suburbs for a house as you might in Glenelg or Henley. Brighton is very popular and in demand with families as it has a very highly sought after state high school and they recently expanded the zone for it so property prices in the new part of the zone also saw a price jump and demand rise.

You can expect to start paying less once you get to Hallet Cove and south of there, although if you are talking actual beach side houses looking out over the ocean, anywhere along the coast, that will set you back a whack. But situated elsewhere in the suburb there should be options to suit lesser budgets and still some to suit bigger ones also :) North of Henley beach, property prices tend to remain pretty high into West Lakes, Largs Bay and around there.

Depending on how close you want to be to the coast, you can live in plenty of suburbs slightly inland and still be at the water inside of 10-15 minutes or so. Much will depend on what you like and commute etc.

We are really happy with our life here. Its been 3 and a bit years for us now and we've never had any regrets or hankering for what we left behind. Sure there are some things you cannot get, do or experience here but honestly, its a different country and you cannot expect it to be a mini UK or anything close to it, it isn't.

I'd like to be able to see a proper Christmas panto. Have access to things like an aquarium, wildlife and adventure park that isn't just Aus native animals or something out of the 1950's, castles and the like, those sorts of things I miss but they don't ruin things or spoil it for me here. Just we make the most of those things when we visit the UK and enjoy them and have fab memories.

Creature comforts wise, I've adapted for the most part. I miss having a supermarket on a par with Waitrose or M&S as nothing comes close here. I miss cheap books without having to shop around no end of stores to find the one I am after or resorting to online shopping and a 3 or 4 week wait. I miss cars that have MOT's.

For the rest, I can't say I miss much else at all. Sure there will be the odd thing now and again but thats life.

Overall, much happier here. Jobs, house, car, great school and made some good friends and built a life we really enjoy. If you don't make friends or find it tough to get a job or can't get one, that sort of thing can really impact and perhaps make you bitter toward or about Adelaide. Its crap when people struggle to find a job but when you move the other side of the world and can't find it, its really tough on the emotions and bank balance. No one can say how it will pan out for you.

Some people don't like it as they find it too slow or not enough going on or something else, but we've got no complaints really. Sure some things annoy but we don't get bored or fed up here. We didn't want city living here tbh. We lived near Bristol and opted to not move closer to London when a work opportunity came about as it really didn't appeal. We prefer life a bit quieter.