Renewing Permanent Residency

JohnSnow

Hi everyone,

First of all, I apologize if this has been discussed before and I am just unable to find the thread.

So let's see, where shall I begin.. well my wife got her PR for more than 10 years but did not spend much time in Australia from 2010 - 2015.

In 2015 she applied for a 1 year RRV which she was granted. - expired in mid 2016.

She is now in Australia and we are planning on travelling within the next years but would need to apply every time for a 1 year RRV.

We heard it might be possible to get her another 5 years PR through me (I also have PR and I am still in my first 5 years). Can you confirm this and advise how to do that? All I found is the RRV or complete new applications for a PR.

I am aware there is a 5 year RRV but that requires 2 years living in Australia (760 days) and we dont have the days accumulated it yet.

Thank you in advance

John

OK so your visas are not linked in any way and we're gained at separate times so .....

You can travel freely until your 5 years are up, then you will need an RRV or citizenship. You do not need to do anything yet.

Your wife will need to apply for an RRV though, now she is in Australia and married to you she has better ties and shouldn't have a problem getting a 1 year RRV they may not grant a 5 year one though.

If she wants to keep her PR valid then she will need to keep applying for RRVs I'm afraid so will need to keep an eye on the ball.

As long as your status I'd good this will help, but at some point you will both need to make a commitment to stay in Aus long enough to get either a 5 year RRV or preferable citizenship.

You just need to keep an eye on your travel.

We delayed a holiday so we would not fall foul of the 90 days in last year for citizenship rule. Have been visiting relatives in UK and USA and a few other trips!

If delaying by a few months will make a difference the consider it. Remember rules for RRVs and citizenship can and do change.

She could apply for a partner visa I guess but that would cost several thousand plus take a year or so to process, maybe that is what you were told about? Not a sensible option IMHO.