Job Prospects

Ryola

Hello everyone, We are just in the process of applying for a 489 visa and I am just preparing for my skills assessment with a migration agent. However, reading this section of the site has me very concerned as the prospect of securing employment once we get over there from the UK. It seems pretty unrealistic! My partner is a Tower Crane Operator and I am a Work Planning Co coordinator for Royal mail. However I am open to most things, retail, café and bar work, not too fussy really if I get a job that fits around the kids. Seriously is it really that bad? Is there any point in pursuing this dream? As part of the visa conditions we have to stay and live in Adelaide for 2 years and I want to do that but what happens if we cant find jobs? Do we pack up and go home.... :unsure:

That's quite a specific field of work your husband is in. I honestly do not know what the job market in or around Adelaide is like for that line of employment. Has he checked the job sites and construction companies and so on? Is he the main applicant for the visa or is it based on your skill set?

TBH you could probably find work yourself if you don't mind what you turn your hand to to get you going, and then go from there. I think where you live can often impact more casual work and how available it is. Many casual jobs may want people living closer by, not travelling from miles out for a job working in a shop or some such for shorter shifts or short notice stuff. I have found casual work and also more permanent work that fits in with school but I don't live so far away from the CBD that it rules me out of those sorts of jobs and means I can still commute with relative ease each day. I was also rather picky about what I applied for and when I worked so it took me a while to find something that suited me.

Its honestly impossible to know how it will go for you. I know people applying for jobs who are getting interviews and getting the job but I also know others who are finding it hard to find a permanent job or something more long term. These are locals, not migrants but I think the job market can be tough in some areas, less so in others both on terms of the type of work and where you may be living in terms of more local work. Jobs in the north may exist but if you live all the way right down south they are possibly not going to consider you living over an hour's drive or more away.

i really don't have an answer for you. No one can predict how it will go for you. It's that jump into the unknown for most migrants and for some it works, jobs are found and things slowly fall into place, for others it doesn't and it's a struggle. Or either way and on top of everything else they really don't like Adelaide and that also causes issues.

That's quite a specific field of work your husband is in. I honestly do not know what the job market in or around Adelaide is like for that line of employment. Has he checked the job sites and construction companies and so on? Is he the main applicant for the visa or is it based on your skill set?

TBH you could probably find work yourself if you don't mind what you turn your hand to to get you going, and then go from there. I think where you live can often impact more casual work and how available it is. Many casual jobs may want people living closer by, not travelling from miles out for a job working in a shop or some such for shorter shifts or short notice stuff. I have found casual work and also more permanent work that fits in with school but I don't live so far away from the CBD that it rules me out of those sorts of jobs and means I can still commute with relative ease each day. I was also rather picky about what I applied for and when I worked so it took me a while to find something that suited me.

Its honestly impossible to know how it will go for you. I know people applying for jobs who are getting interviews and getting the job but I also know others who are finding it hard to find a permanent job or something more long term. These are locals, not migrants but I think the job market can be tough in some areas, less so in others both on terms of the type of work and where you may be living in terms of more local work. Jobs in the north may exist but if you live all the way right down south they are possibly not going to consider you living over an hour's drive or more away.

i really don't have an answer for you. No one can predict how it will go for you. It's that jump into the unknown for most migrants and for some it works, jobs are found and things slowly fall into place, for others it doesn't and it's a struggle. Or either way and on top of everything else they really don't like Adelaide and that also causes issues.

Yes I suppose its a case of leap in and hope for the best. My partner would take labouring work I think to get us going, neither of us are precious about our careers as such, we just want to make enough money to afford us a nice lifestyle. If we have the opportunity to do it and we don't I know we would regret it. I'm the main applicant, Ryan's occupation was taken off the SOL the year we flew to Perth on a WHV so that was bad luck, otherwise we would have probably stayed. I then got sponsored as a manager for Sunglass Hut but that also fell through as the company were not willing to pay me up to the threshold of what the government set, then I fell pregnant with my first child so we just decided to throw in the towel and come home. We have always had a longing to come back.

One of my work colleagues husband is a crane operator and has been for a long time. In recent times he has been made redundant several times, currently he is working but not in Adelaide, somewhere in WA I think. He is Australian and struggled to find work so I don't want to sound like the voice of doom but I don't think your partner's chances sound too promising. On another note I think the obligation to stay in SA is a moral one and if you cannot find work you can move interstate freely enough although obviously it's a huge upheaval. Good luck.

Edited by kelbert

One of my work colleagues husband is a crane operator and has been for a long time. In recent times he has been made redundant several times, currently he is working but not in Adelaide, somewhere in WA I think. He is Australian and struggled to find work so I don't want to sound like the voice of doom but I don't think your partner's chances sound too promising. On another note I think the obligation to stay in SA is a moral one and if you cannot find work you can move interstate freely enough although obviously it's a huge upheaval. Good luck.

Yes that's a downer, I think we would have to stay in SA at least until we got PR. Plus, I want to get somewhere and get the kids settled etc but we shall see. It is a worry but we are going to rent out our house so we always have it as a back up plan if we have to come home due to us not finding work.

Hi me and my family moved out to Adelaide in November. I am an Electrician and came over on a skilled permanent visa. I found a job in the first 3 weeks of being here but I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I am still trying to get into the construction industry but because I am only on a restricted licence it is quite hard as most companies want people with full licence.

There are jobs out there and plenty of building work going on but I'm unsure about the crane operator jobs. If your partner is quite handy with other things then he might be ok. I got offered a job working with a company who do the signs for Burger King and they had a lot of work and I liked what they had on offer but would not be able to complete my licence with them. I think you just need to keep your options open. I think the construction industry in Adelaide is more who you know than what you know.

For other jobs my wife is now looking for work in retail also to revolve around the kids school but no joy yet but we are on Seek everyday to see what is out there. We have an 19 year old daughter who works in sales but it is commission based only but just secured a job working in a bar in the city which is quite a well payed job on a casual basis.

Dont let things put you off too much as I'm sure it will work out if you work hard at it and the beautiful beaches soon make up for it. If your partner does want to pursue the crane operator just make sure you check the licencing requirements. If he would be required to get extra training get in touch with skills SA and they will help you get what you need and give you funding for it.

We are glad we made the move and love the life that we have and I hope that it all works out for you and if I manage to get into construction I will do some digging to see what's around.

Hi me and my family moved out to Adelaide in November. I am an Electrician and came over on a skilled permanent visa. I found a job in the first 3 weeks of being here but I think I'm one of the lucky ones. I am still trying to get into the construction industry but because I am only on a restricted licence it is quite hard as most companies want people with full licence.

There are jobs out there and plenty of building work going on but I'm unsure about the crane operator jobs. If your partner is quite handy with other things then he might be ok. I got offered a job working with a company who do the signs for Burger King and they had a lot of work and I liked what they had on offer but would not be able to complete my licence with them. I think you just need to keep your options open. I think the construction industry in Adelaide is more who you know than what you know.

For other jobs my wife is now looking for work in retail also to revolve around the kids school but no joy yet but we are on Seek everyday to see what is out there. We have an 19 year old daughter who works in sales but it is commission based only but just secured a job working in a bar in the city which is quite a well payed job on a casual basis.

Dont let things put you off too much as I'm sure it will work out if you work hard at it and the beautiful beaches soon make up for it. If your partner does want to pursue the crane operator just make sure you check the licencing requirements. If he would be required to get extra training get in touch with skills SA and they will help you get what you need and give you funding for it.

We are glad we made the move and love the life that we have and I hope that it all works out for you and if I manage to get into construction I will do some digging to see what's around.

Thanks Curly, that's really reassuring. We were having a chat yesterday about this and we are defiantly willing to try different things and yes every time I start to wobble or feel overwhelmed I look up the pictures of the beaches and remember why we are doing it! Which Suburb have you decided to live in?

Glad it has reassured you. We are currently living in Richmond on a 6 month lease but we are looking around to see where we can settle after this we would like to be a little bit further south of the city we are hoping maybe towards Marion area. We don't really want to move around too much as we have our 8 year old in school so we are currently seeing what is available. Do you know an area you would like to be in?

I've been looking around Christies beach area which looks really nice but just concerned about work and not being too far out of the city. However on the other hand we couldn't afford anything too close to the city so this may suit us. I'm trying to keep my options open.

Yeah we quite like down there, also Port Noarlunga is a beautiful beach and just down from christies beach. Yes it is definitely too expensive near the city that why we are looking towards the south. If you go to Christies beach the road to the city is pretty straight forward and only 30 mins drive and also trains are pretty good. I have met a few people who commute from that area and they suggest the trains or bus as the parking in the city can be quite expensive in the day. You will get to know the areas pretty quickly and you are never far from an amazing beach even if not in a suburb close to the ocean.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Curly we are considering moving to Adelaide. We lived in brisbane up until july 2016 when we returned to uk. We moved for finacial reason family etc we also found it very hard to gain full electrical licence. Hubby did all the relevant paperwork work experience etc did the final exam but failed on one section his tutor told him vertually all english fail on it i believe it was a section on connecting to the house from street mains. He became very downhearted by failing so i think this also contributed on us moving back. How ever we just cannot settle in the uk its just not home anymore and we miss oz so he now looking at returning. One issue he has because its very humid in Brisbane said was fed up of constant sweating while being at work. Would like to pick ur brains on the licence in Adelaide and the weather as i believe you may get a cooler winter than queensland etc. Also do you find Adelaide a small city compared to others in oz not sure if you have visited any others. Any info would be great thank you. We also have three lads so areas etc for kids pls.

Hi I will try and answer as much I can to try and help you. It is really difficult to try and gain the electrical licence. The company I am with at the moment said they would help me but I think they would rather it take as long as possible so I'm still looking for another company preferably from construction to give me an opportunity. If you husband has done the exams he may be in a better position than me and may only be required to do the resit rather than full course. The people who offer the courses in Adelaide only do them on a day course which would mean I would need to take 3 weeks off work to complete and then need to do my in work logs. As you can imagine I cannot really afford to take 3 weeks off as the company I am with I'm only casual at the moment just waiting for them to sort a contract out and I very much doubt my employer would want me to take the time off. Just have a look into the course if it is different to Brisbane as I know the licences are different. If you need to do extra work speak with skills SA and hopefully they will be able to help with funding. As for the job market out here I believe there are jobs out there but lots of them want fully licences workers hence why I struggle a little. I have a job though so I will just keep plugging away until the right one comes along. I can't really compare Adelaide to any other city but I have been told it is small in comparison. We love it though as you are never too far away from the city or the beach and also a short drive gets you up in the hills. The beaches here are amazing. Weather wise I couldn't really tell you about the winter weather but I've been told it is still dry but quite chilly in the nights. The summer I have had here is really good. I'm like you and not a lover of humidity and you don't tend to get too many humid days apart from when there is a storm coming. I hope this helps in some way but just let me know if you want any more info and will try my best.