2 Years in - Thank you

etch123

Hello all,

Its been a very long time since I posted on here, this forum was instrumental to me making decisions when we decided to migrate. We will be celebrating 2 years since we arrived in Adelaide in a couple of days and I thought I should share my experience so far. We love Australia and Adelaide... don't get me wrong the first few months were quite difficult, missing family and home and then trying to find work was very very difficult, in fact it took me 11 months to find work, I was lucky enough to find work in my own field but at a very junior level to what I was back home, but I'm very grateful. Ive been 1 year at my job and love working in the city, its such a quick commute even from Port Noarlunga. We arrived as a family of 4 and now are 5! had a new baby who is now 7 months old, we would have never had another child if we didn't come to Australia, and she beat us to citizenship as well with her own Ausi passport in tow. I am also happy to say that we have started the process to build our own home as well, up in Mount Barker, yes I know, its a sea change to a tree change :-) but we love that area too and found that we could get the size of home and land we need to build on, within our budget, as unfortunately we cant afford to buy or build the same size of home in Port Noarlunga (4 bedrooms etc). We are getting our loan through home start, which is a government loan that gives us single income households a fair go. I cant believe how much I have grown to love footy, I am lucky that through my work I get to meet a lot of AFL stars, in fact I find myself watching it over cricket! unbelievable! our 2 elder kids have integrated well into primary school and are doing extremely well. We did go back home over Christmas and found ourselves referring to Australia as home when we were there, which really reinforced the fact that this was indeed the best decision we have made.

I Would like to thank all of you on here for all the support you have shown us through these 2 years! Heres to a the rest of our lives in Straya!

Etch

• Like 1

Hi Mr Etch (and family).

What a great post, thank you.

We are so pleased that everything is now working out for you. Sorry to hear that you will be moving from Port Noarlunga (end of our road! :biggrin:) but am sure that you will enjoy your new location.

You deserve every good aspect of your new life in Adelaide and your persistence and strength after the initial setbacks are testament to you and your lovely family.

All the best!!!

Fantastic update, well done :-) 2 years in is a good bench mark to look back into your migration journey.

My other half and me felt really settled after 2 years and hey you have also passed all 'waiting times' regarding Centrelink benefits and being eligible for a full 5 year RRV (in theory, for us 3 years ago it was a benefit to know that we could get it in case we wouldn't last here for long).

We never had homesickness in all these 5 years but feeling it now out of a sudden....after we've booked our 1st plane tickets to visit family and friends back in our 'old' country ;-)

Edited by Rabeah

Great to hear from you and pleased things have finally fallen into place for you. Can't have been easy that first year but so glad you are settled and congrats on your new home. I think Mount Barker is lovely, has a nice feel to it and not far from the CBD really. Also doesn't it have a fab farmers market there?

Also congrats on the new addition :)

Please stop by from time to time to let us know how it's going.