Safety in Adelaide

Woj

Hi :)

We are in the process of selling up all of our stuff, closing down our work here and moving down with the kids. The arrival date is around September of this year. My wife has the partner vosa, so all formalities have been taken care of - we are coming down ;)

There are 3 places we are considering - Sunshine coast, Perth and Adelaide. And the funniest thing is that we have only been on the sunshine coast, which we really liked. But dont know why - Perth and Adelaide keep on popping into my head, probably more work possibnilities there (being cities which have 2mln and 1.4mln people - in comparison to 350thou Sunshine coast..)

I did post quite a while ago on a perth forum a question regarding safety in that city. As a father of two small kids its one of the major factors which will have an influence on where we live. Some people wrote that its just like any other big city - u have to watch out where you go, others wrote that drugs are a HUGE problem in Perth. Others even wrote that they have friends who have been carjacked on various occasions. My jaw kinda dropped a little..

How is it in Adelaide? How is the life there when it comes to crime? Any areas which are extremely high in crime, or are most areas safe? This might be a good topic as I am sure a lot of people thinking of making the move to Adelaide, will be interested in the safety aspect there?

Best regards!

Woj

Adelaide has very good areas and not so good areas. As a mum of 2 young kids (6&9) when we arrived 4 years ago I believe it is much safer here. Kids are allowed to be kids and compared to their uk cousins they are much less worldly. I gave no issue letting my kids go to shopping centres and movies alone etc as well as giving them freedom to bike around and play out with friends in our area. Something that didn't happen in the uk. I'm also a police officer so do see all sides, good and bad but I still feel safe and content with where we chose to live.

Crime is a very import factor for us. We came here from South Africa and were victims of violent crime.

I agree with the comments above that crime is an issue in all cities but it's all relative. I feel safe here and don't worry about my safety or my children and grandchildren.

Having said that I have noticed that reports of crime..is it the reporting or is it an increase? in the media are on the increase and it's a fact that there's an increase in drug related crime in a lot of areas.

Like everywhere, there are good and "bad" suburbs and there are areas that I wouldn't want to live in...

The world is a crazy place at the moment but I still think that it's less crazy here than many other locations!

Several times carjacked in Perth? I simply don't believe that.

We live in Adelaide for 5 years now and feel safe.

Also visited relatives in Perth in 2013/2014 (X-mas break) and they have good good quality cars and never had issues with somebody trying to carjack...I mean it can happen everywhere but 'several times' *no way*

I find Adelaide fine. As has been said you have good areas and not so good wherever you go. I'd not have moved here if I was going to be living in one of the dodgy or far less desirable suburbs/areas but given we are in suburbia and a nice part of it, I have no concerns. Yes there is minor crime on occasion round our way but it's usually minor and not commonplace. I certainly sleep well at night.

I've been out in the CBD many an evening/night and have never felt unsafe. Same in the daytime.

The vast sprawl of the city and city and suburbs gives you plenty of options in terms of good places to live.

Drugs can be be a problem anywhere. I've yet to come cross it first hand in terms of people we know, the area we live and so on.

My husband grew up here and survived just fine, as did his brothers :cute: Moving back here has been a good move for us with a young child and I certainly don't see Adelaide as a scary place or worry about my safety driving to work each day.

I moved here from a much larger city in terms of sheer city size and found that far more intimidating on a night out that I ever do here. But again, actual crime in the area we lived wasn't massive and most had no problems.

If you are looking as where may be best, I'd say go where the work is. Perth may be good, may not as its had a bit of a bashing with the economy there it seems and lots leaving. Perhaps researh how it is going at present. Sunshine Coast, no clue, is it tourist driven or is there a good solid local economy to provide work also? Same with Adelaide. Is is a viable place for what you do (tennis coach iirc?). We have some decent tennis tournaments here in the run up to the Aus Open. And lots of tennis clubs and courts around. As to if it could provide you the work you'll need, I cannot know or say.

All yo I think Adelaide is family friendly and unless you choose to live in a dodgy area I can't see you'll have many issues. Research suburbs and schools etc well and you should have plenty of places to choose from in terms of decent to live in.

Just like you all write - very good advice. Go where the work is..

Allthough I read a comment somewhere, that you very rarely will be treated seriously if you write regarding work, being 20thou kilometres away :) That meaning that I write now and "ask around" to get a rough picture of my possibilities. If Im there on the spot, its a lot easier to find out more concrete information. Being here in Poland for the next 3 months before our move, I can only rely on online info..

Going through seek.com.au I type in the areas: Sunshine Coast, Perth and Adelaide. Jobs available in all fields? 1025, 9459 and 5271. Hug edifference, than again, on SC u have 330thou people, so theoretically less competition for a position, in compared to Perth for example, which has a popullation close to 2mln..

Still brainstorming though. Perth seems interesting, as does Adelaide. Considering moving with a family to places I have only seen on pictures. Either stupidity or bravery. Choose one... :)

Work out what appelas to you and your family. If you hate where you end up, make changes and move to somewhere in Aus you do like asap rather than sticking it out or ending up hating on the whole experience. Aus is vast and what suits one won't suit another. It's so different from state to state, climate, feel and so on. One city or area should not see you forming an opinion that the rest of the country is the same.

Of course, you may well not like it one bit nor want to try elsewhere in Aus and choose to return. It does happen to some for one reason or another. No one can tell you not to move or to go to one place and not the other. You need to do what feels right for you. Have a plan and discuss what you may do if it doesn't suit you or proves difficult to find work where you start off. Consider moving interstate if work is to be had. Lack of work seems to destroy people's dreams of their new home and life and can put a real strain on things and sour the entire migration and move.

Woj . . . stupidity or bravery is what people put to me when I returned to England 5 years ago after 50 years in Oz.

I've come to the conclusion that leaving Adelaide was an act of gross stupidity!

snifter gave you a good response, and I would add that Adelaide is a lovely place to live, and is certainly big enough for you to find work.

My wife has it tuff enough coping with the move now. Definately would not want to put her through another move from one place to another if things dont work out. She is the sort of person who when gets used to a certain area, will want to stay there.

I have heard that there are quite a few polish people in Adelaide, dont know if this is true. If it is migth be a good thing. Going through prices of rent etc - all 3 places very comparable. For around 300-350 per week you can rent a fairly decent, not too large place..

If you google 'Polish community in Adelaide' or some such you can find a number of results. Perhaps research those to see if they may be of use.

Iirc there are Polish food sections in supermarkets. Only small but I remember seeing them around.

Also once kids are in school/kindy then meeting other parents usually happens. It can be a bit hit and miss but you do need to put yourself out there and try to get to know the locals and get involved in the community.