Hello everyone! Hopefully someone will help me be enlightened as what to do next. This whole thing about having a medicare and private insurance is driving me crazy. So here's my story. We're on 489 visa and just applied for 887 visa last week. Went to centrelink to apply for medicare. We're given the Interim Medicare. During the 489 visa, we were paying for Private Health Insurance which is IMAN (Parent company is NIB) for 118 every forth night for 2 adults and a kid. I was supposed to have a surgery last november but that did not happen so I am planning to push it through this month. I called IMAN confirming what they will cover as the surgery will be done by a private doctor in a private hospital, thus there will be out-of-pocket cost for me. Having a medicare, i was kind of hoping that I will be paying less.
When i called IMAN, i was told that I should be changing my cover already because i have medicare now. According to IMAN staff, it's like i am paying for a cover that will not benefit me.
So my question is, how will i move forward from here. If I change cover, should i still stay with NIB or should i go to another company like BUPA? I am in the impression that there wont be any waiting period anymore once i change cover/company. If i change cover/company, went through my operation, would it be ok to cancel the insurance afterwards?