UK election 8th June

PT1

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

Just to inform anyone who did'nt know you can vote in the above election as long as you have a UK passport and you left the UK not more than 15 years ago, you have up to May 22 to register, link above.

I'm thinking more about UK pensioners or their children, i've never voted Labour in my life but i will be this time, Corbyn has stated he will index link the frozen pensions if he gets in power, i know its a long shot but i voted to remain in the EU, Theresa May was strongly in the remain camp along with Cameron and Osborne, whatever you think of them, they both did the decent thing and resigned, May got a PM's pension.

We all know the reason for the Brexit vote, but the borders will never go back as they were before 1974, Operation Stack would happen from Dover 365 days a year.

Theresa May has already stated she cannot guarantee the triple lock, just vote whats best for you and your parents

I never voted in UK elections once I emigrated to Australia, I didn't believe it would be appropriate when I wasn't living there. To have done so would be the same as voting in a particular local council area when I had moved to another council area.

Corbyn will promise anything he believes will make him look good to the electorate, but he doesn't stand a chance of winning and carrying out those promises. Frozen pensions have existed for many years through different governments, I'm a victim as well. I've been told that mine can't be increased even now I'm back in the UK, it isn't enough to increase on their 2.5% basis! It's a tough old world.

I never voted in UK elections once I emigrated to Australia, I didn't believe it would be appropriate when I wasn't living there. To have done so would be the same as voting in a particular local council area when I had moved to another council area.

Corbyn will promise anything he believes will make him look good to the electorate, but he doesn't stand a chance of winning and carrying out those promises. Frozen pensions have existed for many years through different governments, I'm a victim as well. I've been told that mine can't be increased even now I'm back in the UK, it isn't enough to increase on their 2.5% basis! It's a tough old world.

Does this apply to anyone returning?

No, it depends on your circumstances. If you needed to rely entirely on a UK pension then you would receive a higher payment, and this would qualify for increases. Mine stays low because I draw the Aussie one (well much of it), and my UK pension is only a matter of pence, not pounds.

Hi, victoria, thanks for reply, i still like to vote as i pay tax on both my UK pensions, and with the aged parent visa, i may never get citizenship here. We have met many UK pensioners here recently who are returning or thinking of returning, just hope we can afford to stay as we are reliant on the exchange rate for life.

Edited by PT1

Our problem with voting from here is that we receive the papers very late. Last time tha day before the cut off so we couldn't actually return them in time. If they could do it on line........

Yeah this is ridiculous. When my Aussie OH was in the UK it was so easy for her to vote in Australian elections, whereas it's virtually impossible the other way round.

I have had to set my dad up as a proxy voter for me in the UK but, because we lived in a different electorate when we were in the UK and they won't change it (so we'll forever have to vote based on our last UK address), I have also had to go through the rigour of setting him up as a proxy postal voter. So, he votes by post for me, but from the UK. I think this is the only way to do it and be sure not to miss the deadline.

Plus, on top of all of this hassle, they want me to re-resister every year by post or they'll remove me from the electoral roll, which costs me $2.75 (or whatever the stamp costs) each year. Not a massive deal but it's still an unnecessary inconvenience.

Edited by llessur