Near death experience

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Well,we had one of those moments when your life flashes before your eyes today/or your pants suddenly fill /or both:shocked:

We were on the boat off of Brighton,just having a toddle around and dropping a line.

I knew the wind and waves would blow up in the afternoon so stayed close to West Beach where we had launched from.

Slowly the wind and waves did build up so time to go in.

The waves were coming side on (beam on) but not too big.I was enjoying a bit of rough and put into practice what I've learnt from an experienced boatie.

Until a freak wave picked us up a good few metres high and slapped the boat over to one side.

I reckon a few more centimetres over and we would have been swimming.

(Insert own swearwords here..............................)

I've never had a wave grab like that - fortunately remembered some of what my boatie mate taught me and hit the throttle hard.

Slap!,the boat came down again and I managed to find clear water.

Just goes to show you must be prepared for anything out there - please take note anyone considering buying a boat - it's tough!!!

That was a real curved ball out of nowhere - the wave was a lot bigger than the others.

Anyway we managed to get back in OK - and calmed down.

But just to top the day off .......returns home to find our hot water system has burst open - yard drowned and no hot water:arghh:

Plus we seem to have an invasion of wasps here,must have had 40+ buzzing me when I was washing the boat/tackle down.Didn't know they were so attracted to fish/bait.

Apart from that we had a great day:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest ReadyPenny

Flamin nora Tyke, I was scared half out of my wits reading this!!! With just a few days to go you have given me the jitters again - cheers mate!!! LOl

Seriously though, glad you are all ok and shame on you for wasting all that precious water!!!!

Guest Guest75
Flamin nora Tyke, I was scared half out of my wits reading this!!! With just a few days to go you have given me the jitters again - cheers mate!!! LOl

Seriously though, glad you are all ok and shame on you for wasting all that precious water!!!!

No need for the jitters!!!

These things happen and can catch anyone out.and I did put us in that situation so I'm philosophical about it.

TBH it was quite exciting - doing all this different stuff is why we came.

If the weather is good on Saturday I'm out on on of my Aussies mate's boat - 50 kilometres out.Heard there are some really big fish out there at the moment

Wait until you get on that plane:)

Not bad on the water front,we have our own supply.

I'll just have to smell for the next few days until the plumber sorts us out.

Blooming annoying as there is not a stop tap for the hot water system.Thank goodness they are outside.!!!

Guest caoimhe

Bloomin heck Tyke, every time I see a thread from you I jump at the chance to read as it's usually something funny........not this time:shocked:

Apart from financial reasons we would have loved to put an offer in for Cunnah 10's boat now I realise it's more than just money

Great you enjoyed it though and at least you were prepared by having researched your new hobby first

Hiya Tyke

My hubby wants a boat when we get out there - he loves fishing always has and he has cleaned all his sea fishing gear up so that it can go in the container. I was hoping that reading your post might put him off (I get real bad sealegs/ sickness) but you fishermen are all the same and I think it has made him want one all the more!

Enjoy Saturday and let us know how you go on

Hayley

Tyke, I'm pretty sure it was a hair raising experience, but so glad to hear you are okay and not put off. x

Another story...... my cousins, husbands, father has a boat.....so with many promises of taking my husband out on the boat it finally came the day to do so (december).

My cousins husband, borrowed the boat, took my dad (who was visiting), my husband (Andy) and 10 year old son (Alistair) all out for a spot of fishing and a new experience for some. (my dad was in the navy for years).

They set off at O'sullivans/Christies Beach ramp, all seemed fine, but my OH had been talking to a couple of other boat people on the beach, who said the water was too choppy and didn't look safe, so they weren't going out. My cousin on the other hand thought it would be fine, even though concerns were raised. (he has his boat licence and a number of years experience)

They went round to Hallett Cove, the engine was switched off now, as were other boats (anchors on), my cousin thought it would be fine just to drift a bit (no anchor on).

Then, waves from all around, crashing the side of the boat, first one puts it on it's side, then it comes back up, everyone holding on tight, they try to start the engine.....nothing......so my cousin was shouting "engine malfunction" to the other boats, they couldn't get it started. My dad jumps in the water and checks the engine, to find a loose wire, attaches it back on, but they can't start the engine as they are now too close to shore, but just then my OH spots another huge wave coming, which wasn't so much of the problem, but because the anchor wasn't on, they started heading towards the rocks.......so my OH, son and dad all jump off the boat and start swimming to shore.

My cousin was trying to hold on when the second wave came, managed to stay on board and started scooping the water out of the boat, another kind boat came and threw a rope over to help and pull the boat to safer waters, so my husband went back out to get the rope and help attach it to their boat.

By now my son is frantic on the shore line, screaming for his dad to come back!

My dad who hasn't seen our son for a year, was trying his hardest to console him.....to no avail!

Anyway, they got the boat tied up, my cousin got the engine started and then shouted it's safe now, you can come back on......NOT A BLOODY CHANCE!!!!

But, we lost a brand new camera, my husband phone (self employed and lost all his contacts) and my dads camera with all his pictures from their holiday on, all to water damage.

They were all fine, shaken up a bit, which is understandable, but the good thing is it hasn't put them off....my OH is now on the market for a boat and going to make sure he knows everything about it first, rather than taking somebody elses word for it!

Moral of this story, take heed of what other people say in situations you are not quite sure about yourself, or go out boating with somebody else!

ps. passers by and other beach goers in Hallett Cove, were fantastic, they let my husband use their phone to contact me, so that I could go and pick them up, but also a huge thank you to the other boat people, who saved a stranded man on a boat from getting his butt kicked off his dad if he had wrecked his boat!!

Guest Guest75
Tyke, I'm pretty sure it was a hair raising experience, but so glad to hear you are okay and not put off. x

Another story...... my cousins, husbands, father has a boat.....so with many promises of taking my husband out on the boat it finally came the day to do so (december).

Flippin' heck

Glad everyone was OK

Just shows you need to know what you are doing - and listen to others.

Just shows you need to know what you are doing - and listen to others.

Best bit of advice ever that.

When we were sailing in the Channel Our skipper Robin advised us to use the safety lines as it looked like it was going to get choppy. One guy Simon was a real man and didn't need to 'clip on' like the rest of us. When he and Tony were forward a freak wave came over and the real man that didn't need a cissy wire wet for a swim. Luckily for him he didn't think wearing a life jacket was 'cissy'. :o

Good fun though sailing when is rough. I remember I was running all over the place doing what Robin wanted as everyone else was a bright shade of green and hanging over the side feeding the fish. :biglaugh:

Pete

.I was enjoying a bit of rough

You really like to share Tyke!! TMI, I think!!

It sounds really hair-raising but certainly proves your theory re. getting your boat licence...it's horrific when you think that people can get their licence without much (if any) actual experience...and I think we both know a certain redneck* who has done exactly that!

It must be a bit of a buzz to think that all that training has become secon nature. Well done! Specially glad as I have just learnt that you had precious cargo on board!

Anyway, hope you don't smell!

Yours concerned of Aberfoyle.

*He no longer likes the term and will call Muppet names if you call him that!

PS. Feel free to come round here if you need a shower....

PPS. Have you watched wasps tearing at dog food?