What day suits you best?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What day suits you best?

• Saturday 1st August @ 4pm
    • Saturday 8th August @ 4pm
    • Can do either dates
    • Would like to come but can't make either dates

Hi everybody,

Any prospective Oz bound families fancy meeting up for a coffee or something stronger in or around Manchester to exchange news and views. Nothing formal, just a chat and an opportunity to share your thoughts and ideas.

We are Trevor, Alison, Tom (age 11), George (age 7). We live near Oldham and are flying to Oz on 5th September 2009.

Any ideas on location for meet would be appreciated, somewhere for the adults to chat and the kids to run around!!

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Alison

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Trevor,

We had one of those last year, and it was nice to meet people in the same situation. Last time I went it was at a family pub just off the M6 near Warrington.

We would come.

Barry

Guest TheTodds

Good idea - we would be interested. We are in Bury and fly out on 16th September.

Family pub sounds good so we can bring our little one!

Dave, Helen and Emily (19 months)

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi Alison

The last one we went to was here:

http://www.pub-restaurant.co.uk/show_restaurant.tpl?restaurant=340

When I arranged it, I found it hard to get a date when everyone could make it, so I created a poll for 4 different dates and then selected the one with the most votes, seemed to be the most democratic way of doing at the time.

Barry.

we went to one of these organised on another forum.it was good to meet others in the same boat although i dont think anyone else was going to adelaide. its a good way of geeting used to speaking randomly to people. x

and when you all arrive we can meet up this side for coffee, or summet stronger as suggested:biglaugh:???

all these new people from sunny manchester. :D

kath x (a former bury-ite)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Apologies for not responding to your replies sooner. We have been sooo busy as a family. There have been a lot of events taking place from our children's school etc etc.

Anyway, could I suggest a meet up at the Paper Mill Restaurant, Little 66, Roach Bank Road, Bury, Lancs. It has a Wacky Warehouse also. It is junction 3 off the M66.

Dates I am suggesting are: Saturday 1st August or Saturday 8th August. Does anybody have a preference regarding time? Will everybody require food, if so a table would need to be reserved. We could possibly meet up at 4.00 p.m. - children could have a play and then have a bite to eat.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Everybody welcome.

Alison & Trevor x

I wont be at the meet....

Bit thought i would add that we went on loads of these meets from this site.....think the arranger of most must be here because there isn't as many now.... but if you get it together they are wonderfull to meet ppl.

We met ppl at some of these are great frends over here!

Just thought i would post this incase anyone feels strange goin to a pub alone to meet strangers!!

Dan

I wont be at the meet....

Bit thought i would add that we went on loads of these meets from this site.....think the arranger of most must be here because there isn't as many now.... but if you get it together they are wonderfull to meet ppl.

We met ppl at some of these are great frends over here!

Just thought i would post this incase anyone feels strange goin to a pub alone to meet strangers!!

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply. I hope we get a good response. It would give everybody the opportunity to chat and exchange thoughts and views on their move to Oz. Hopefully, it will be the start of some new friendships and familiar faces when we arrive.

Alison x

Guest Django

Hope you don't mind me interfering.:unsure: I have stuck this thread and have added a poll for the suggested dates. Hope you find the meet useful. Like Dan I attended quite a few and found them both enjoyable and helpful. It was great to meet people in the same boat. I also learnt a lot about stuff I hadn't even thought about.

Have fun.

Pete

Guest Lisado

Sorry but we wont be able to make it - bit far for us in Newcastle and kids away as well that weekend - last grandparent visits before we fly.

However, we did a meet up a while back and it was fab - still in touch with the family and they have been so helpful - so its worth it

Have fun

Guest TheTodds

We are up for either of those dates and will definately be there. We are getting fairly booked up though with friends and family all wanting to see us before we go so could do with knowing which date it is to be so we can book the other if you know what I mean?!

Helen.

Guest hel&sam

Went to one in warrington last year, really nice meeting everyone there, cant make either of those dates this time unfortunately, calendars a bit full til around september what with holidays and stuff in general (mainly the kids social calendars, not mine ) I'll definitely keep an eye out for the next one though.

Helen.

x:jiggy:

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. Would like to confirm that the meeting date will be Saturday 1st August at 4.00 p.m. at the Paper Mill Pub Restaurant, Bury. See link attached. http://www.pub-restaurant.co.uk/show_restaurant.tpl?restaurant=733

I am sorry to those who cannot make that date. Unfortunately, our diaries are also getting fully booked with friends and family parties etc. Hope you understand.

I will pm those who have indicated interest for that day.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having a good chin wag.

Alison, Trevor, Tom & George

Guest batleys

would love to come and meet everybody we are hoping to fly out in sept still waiting on visa 457 as delays due to bloods, please let us know when thanks

would love to come and meet everybody we are hoping to fly out in sept still waiting on visa 457 as delays due to bloods, please let us know when thanks

Hi Chris & Lucy,

We are meeting on 1st August at 4.00 p.m. The venue is the Paper Mill Pub Restaurant, Bury. Please let me know if you can make it and I can then book a table should you wish to eat.

Hope to see you there. Looking forward to meeting you.

Alison, Trev, Tom & George