Bike Scene

Riponian

Hi

Sorry not sure where to put this???

My husband has a motorbike and he is thinking of shipping it over. I am not sure this is a good idea.

Firtly not sure if the bike will work in the heat? Need to research what needs to be done in terms of oil and brake fluid etc.

Also is there much of a bikers scene in Adelaide? He has an Yamaha R1 so it's a racy sports bike.

Then we have the hassle of storing it if we don't get a place with a garage.

Is it a good idea to bring it? It's worth quite a bit here but to replace it with a similar make and model would leave us out of pocket. If we are getting a container anyway it seems logical to put it in aswell?

Help :confused:

Michelle

Guest Dave & Carole

Not sure about the fluids but I wouldn't think there is much difference. You may have to drain some fluids for the trip over though.

There is a cost to exporting the bike.

I sold my two bikes, after doing a bit of research as it just wasn't going to be worth it.

There is the hassle of import duties, re-registering, roadworthy certs etc. Some people have found it to be very long winded - and figure on these costs being in the region of 20% of the current value of the bike.

I'm now looking forward to shopping for a nice new shiny one.

Dave

Thanks for this my husband has re thought this and has decided would probably be better to sell here. Which I am really glad about, less stress and worry - just got to sell the bike, 2 cars and re-home the cats! and wait for the visa can't do anything until then.

Guest thekings

I also concluded that it would be best to sell your bike and get a new one over there. I have just sold my Triumph Daytona 955i to a friend and am looking forward to shopping for a new bike when I get over there next year. In the mean time to avoid the frustration of being without a bike I am test riding a Triumph 675 Daytona tomorrow and a Ducati 848 on Monday. I know there are Triumph associate dealers in Adelaide not sure about Ducati though???

Dave?? your signature says "arrive Adelaide 31st July" you need to add "shopping for new bike 1st August" lol ;)

Guest Dave & Carole

Funny that. I had to get a fix and took a Yam 660 out on the pretence of buying it. In reality, I just needed to remember what it felt like, as I sold mine last year anticipating an earlier move!

Bike is pretty high up on the list of things to buy......hopefully before Phillip Island in October.

Is it sad to sit in the front room, with your helmet on going "vroom vroom"?

Dave

Do some research around how much it will cost for a new one over here inc taxes etc. I figure some items are 25-30% more in Australia, others ridiculously cheap - worth doing the maths. The AQIS and vehicle importation route looks well complicated though.........

Guest sandar1

If you are interested I have the name of someone who ishelping me to bring a vehicle in from the US at the moment I have bought several vehicles here over the years. Let me know.

Sold my bike to save the hassle, and meant i could go shopping for a nice new one here. I run a bike forum in Adelaide now, and we are up to 65 members. Social evenings, day long rides almost everyday, and organise trips to moto gp and superbikes. There is a good bike scene here, with lots of great roads. I am currently on a GSXR1000, but a huge mix of people and experience I ride with are on our forum. If you fancy joining, it's free and lots of fun with lots of piss taking. Send me a pm and i'll forward the web address for you.

Shaun

If you are interested I have the name of someone who ishelping me to bring a vehicle in from the US at the moment I have bought several vehicles here over the years. Let me know.

Thanks but think we have settled on selling here and buying a new one over in Oz. There is going to be enough to sort out as it is.

Thank you everyone

Guest kangomik

Re think please... have a good look at shipping the bike, its my biggest regret, seriously have a look at prices, for what you have and know, and what you will get in blighty, opposed to what you will buy here at high KM's.

My zzr i sold for 1k in UK, same bike here is around 2K UK.

The kids crossers i would have made a fortune on.

Have a good look reflector badges on swing arms and forks dont cost to much.

the roads are amazing, the speed limit is dire

Guest PhilC

Believe me I've had a think about it! Current bike is a low mileage, immaculate 2007 R6. Worth about £5-5,500 over here. Equivalent other there from a dealer seems to be about $12-13,000 (£6-6,500). So bearing in mind the shipping costs, the 20% import tax and a shed load of paperwork to boot, I'm not sure it's worth bringing it over, plus I wouldn't see it for about 6-8 weeks whilst it ships itself across.

I tend to update my bikes fairly regularly anyway, so I'm about due for a new one!

Feel free to correct me on any of those figures - I haven't done an exhaustive search, just enough to give me some ball-park numbers.

Phil C

Guest thekings

As you said Phil it is a shed load of hassle. I'm about to sell to a friend my Triumph Daytona t595 for £2300, equivalent selling in Aus at the minute for about $4800 and thats from a dealer!!!

I'm not even sure what it would be like to have an import over there with regard to parts, insurance and resale value etc. What I do know is, I wouldn't touch an import in the UK with a barge pole.

And as has been said on here...good excuse for a new one me thinks ;)

the roads are amazing, the speed limit is dire

That would explain why there are so many shiny chrome cafe cruisers over here.......if I still had my GSXR750 or RS250, my license would be toast........oh well, maybe I should get an Impreza turbo instead......or just stick with an SS:jimlad::)

Guest kangomik
That would explain why there are so many shiny chrome cafe cruisers over here.......if I still had my GSXR750 or RS250, my license would be toast........oh well, maybe I should get an Impreza turbo instead......or just stick with an SS:jimlad::)

With a general cruising speed of 60kph or a lucky 80 kph its first gear territory for most big bikes. Theres a road from Ashton to Lobethal, cracking twisty, but as it gets close to Lobethal it begs you to speed up, then theres the man with the radar behind the bush's as you accelerate hard.. ooppps sorry officer, was i really doing 120 KPH (70 ish MPH) thanks for the $300+ fine, G'Day no worries. WHat you don't realise is they can hear you comming right through the valley!

If the rest of you guys are looking for an excuse to buy a new toy then this has to be one of the best excuses going, shop around, haggle hard and be prepared to walk away. if your not bringing the bike, don't bring the helmets, no Aussie stamp, no legal here. Even the Gold ACU sticker means didly here. And its very easy to spot that gold one, i think thats another 300 dollars and possibly 3 demerit points, depending on the mood on the day.

Be ready for a very different style of riding when it comes to traffic. You rarely see a bike travelling in between lanes up to traffic lights, trying to bully here will see you under the wheels of a V8 with P's on it. Some drivers are totally oblivious to bikes, specially on roundabouts.

Even the Gold ACU sticker means didly here. And its very easy to spot that gold one, i think thats another 300 dollars and possibly 3 demerit points, depending on the mood on the day.

Be ready for a very different style of riding when it comes to traffic. You rarely see a bike travelling in between lanes up to traffic lights, trying to bully here will see you under the wheels of a V8 with P's on it. Some drivers are totally oblivious to bikes, specially on roundabouts.

I watched a large truck take a Landcruiser today: wasn't taking any prisoners.......! Points, I am learning, are precious: 5 years, 12 points to play with? Double demerits on holiday weekends, structured demerit system, sneaky road traps etc etc.

On the plus side, was at the top of North Road today and passed an Ace custom bike shop.....on the way to start a wee project for a bush-basher.;)

Traffic in general is more US than UK, so biker beware.....

Pies

Guest thekings
don't bring the helmets, no Aussie stamp, no legal here. Even the Gold ACU sticker means didly here. And its very easy to spot that gold one, i think thats another 300 dollars and possibly 3 demerit points, depending on the mood on the day.

Glad I've NOT just bought an Arai then :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest kangomik

Hi pies, that wasn't the one on north road tonight, that 4x4 was a real mess and they closed the road for quite a while, closing main north road means only one thing!

The bike shop on North road, is it the one at Gepps Cross, just before the grand junction interchange? There was a gorgeous chopped Harley outside last thursday. The Harley shop further past gepps cross has some nice bikes in from time to time. Theres another chop shop in Mile end near the go kart place, close to Bolton's kwaka.

THE KINGS....... you can bring those dark visors over, the looneys here ride them at night!!!!!! and in the wet. Seeing someone ride an R6 with the peak removed off a crosser helmet is not exactly rare.

Riding in shorts seems to be the norm, only formal dress leathers required on a sunday!!!!!!!!!

You may need bikes with panniers, get the chiller type, try criusing in 40+ degree heat. I rode the motocross track at 32 degree and had to stop every 2 laps, for a serious intake of water.

Bikie culture is a whole different bike game, oopps i mean ball game, but you will suss that once you arrive.

Guest thekings

Its all very well bringing me tinted visors over but I'll have no helmet to put them in :arghh:

Can I not obtain Aussie stickers to put on our helmets so that we can bring them over???

Hi pies, that wasn't the one on north road tonight, that 4x4 was a real mess and they closed the road for quite a while, closing main north road means only one thing!

The bike shop on North road, is it the one at Gepps Cross, just before the grand junction interchange? Bikie culture is a whole different bike game, oopps i mean ball game, but you will suss that once you arrive.

That bike was definitely the one! Not surprised about Main Road North, spent half my short time in Oz around there mooching for a car, then bits to go on it - or another one.......!

And then there's the regulation over here: no surprises about helmet testing and stamps - try diving with a UK cylinder......unless you have your own compressor.

Pies

Its all very well bringing me tinted visors over but I'll have no helmet to put them in :arghh:

Can I not obtain Aussie stickers to put on our helmets so that we can bring them over???

Can't get the aussie stickers i'm afraid, but take your leathers with you, cos they are bloody expensive here, with a crap selection. Wish i had taken mine with me.