Arrive 29th October

Guest MarkIngram

Guest MarkIngram

Hi there

Mark (35yrs old Devonian surf/golf/Liverpool FC/fishing fan)

Zoe (36yrs old Scottish creative genius (in my opinion))

Lexie (5yrs old dancing queen and huge bundle of energy)

Poppy (8mth old smiler)

we arrive in Adelaide (from Scotland) on 29th October 2009 and we're all dead excited. we're still trying to sort out accommodation (although not had much response from agents through direct emails - which is a little frustrating - if anyone knows of a good agent, please let us know).....but we'd love to meet up with some people when we get there.

just over 14 weeks to go.....YEEEEEEESSSSSSS:biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dibdob73

Just seen the updated message. I'm afraid the word 'good' and 'agent' should not appear in the same sentence. I have experienced a few and those experiences have not been the best. I am shocked and stunned at how laid back and unorganised they are, they simply are not that bothered because for every frustrated person they have, there are another 10 people that would want that house or rental. The rental market is huge in Australia and you have to be extremely quick. The chances of sorting something whilst you're in the UK will be slim. But good luck, I hope you get sorted and if I can help in anyway I will.

Take care

Debbie

• 2 months later...

Hi :)

We arrived from Scotland 6 weeks ago! So far so good...and the weather is starting to pick up now so looks like you timed it well!

If you fancy a drink give us a shout :)

Allie

Guest dibdob73

Yes, the weather is getting a lot better now which is great. Let me know if you want to catch up, I'm pretty flexible.

Best Wishes

Debbie :)

Hi :)

We arrived from Scotland 6 weeks ago! So far so good...and the weather is starting to pick up now so looks like you timed it well!

If you fancy a drink give us a shout :)

Allie

We arrived a month ago and stayed in the Oaks Pier Plaza ...mostly because like you say its very difficult to arrange something nice when you can't see it. However, it was really expensive and we are now in a caravan park in a chalet which is cheaper and not so bad really and its only for another week. Our friends stayed at the Plaza too and then moved to the Corfu Appartments on Mossley Road in Glenelg - they were nice. They are now in a perm rental for 6 months and we move into our bought house on Fri...only 5 weeks after arriving and 3 weeks after buying. One thing I would say is if you want internet access and have a laptop you are bringing buy yourself a mobile broadband modem when you get here. It'll be 100 times cheaper than hotel internet charges ! Telstra is more expensive but we haven't found anywhere yet it doesn't cover...even under the cliff at the campsite - amazing.

Guest katterfresh

Hi,

I hope you have found somewhere to stay when you arrive, we got a short term apartment for 2 weeks while we looked for somewhere more permanant. We have now got a nice little unit 15mins walk from the beach near henley beach.

A Liverpool Fan is always welcome. Getting Foxtel on Friday 23rd so should catch the games.

Let me know it i can help at all

Lance & Kat

I'm afraid the word 'good' and 'agent' should not appear in the same sentence.

Absolute tosh :rolleyes:

Example..... The agent needed a damn good slap! ;)

I rest my case m'lud. :v_SPIN:

Hiya,

just wondered where you are planning to get a rental - do you have work ? I just ask as we did not have work to come over to (almost 1 yr ago !) and we had to take a holiday rental down in Victor Harbor which was amazing with the most beautiful views - we took that for 4 weeks which allowed us time to find a residential rental through agents whom were then willing to take us seriously. We would have taken a holiday rental closer to Narlunga - where we are now - though we couldnt get one so had to stay further out - and though it was alot of travelling day in day out it was a very relaxed 1st 4 weeks with those views!!!!

Good luck

ps we got the holiday rental off of LJ Hooker through realestate.com.au

Guest Eddie Sankey

Hi good luck for getting over here. We arrived on Monday from Scotland (i'm english, wife and kids scottish). we organised a holiday home in noarlunga for 2 weeks through century21 in aldinga and managed to organise a 6 month rental home in seaford rise through centry 21 near morphette vale before we came out. we also rented a car for a month so it was one less thing to panic about once we got here. hope you make it soon and enjoy it as much as we have so far.

Guest MarkIngram
Hi good luck for getting over here. We arrived on Monday from Scotland (i'm english, wife and kids scottish). we organised a holiday home in noarlunga for 2 weeks through century21 in aldinga and managed to organise a 6 month rental home in seaford rise through centry 21 near morphette vale before we came out. we also rented a car for a month so it was one less thing to panic about once we got here. hope you make it soon and enjoy it as much as we have so far.

Like you I'm the English representative of this Scottish family (and only male)...we've got ourselves somewhere to stay for the 1st 4 days up in Semaphore which looks lovely....we've asked the question about the cost for renting it for 5/6 weeks as well, although we have probably got a place in Brighton sorted out after those 4 days...(having said that, if the Semaphore place is available for the 5/6 weeks and the cost is similar to the Brighton rental, then we may just as well stay in Semaphore and save time moving from one place to the other.....not sure about renting a car....quite like the idea of seeing what the public transport is like...although will need to buy a car at some point.....SO much to do when we get there (longer term rental, jobs, school, child care, car, and most improtantly making new friends) ....no doubt it'll all slot into place (that's what I keep telling myself anyway...in between wondering if we can get 25hrs in the day).

Guest MarkIngram

Just 9 short days before we leave the UK. Flying back to Scotland tonight after a great week or so saying goodbye to my family in the Bristol/Bath area....going to miss them all heaps....they've been so supportive of our move...the next 9 days will be tougher with the in-laws who are supportive but not as much as mine if you know what I mean...the mother-in-law will be in floods of tears as she's going to miss her grand-daughters so much (doesn't want us to go at all)...not going to be easy. Loads of good friends to see as well in that short time...it's all going to go by in such a blur....see you on the other side real soon..........arrrrgggHHHHHHHH is this REALLY happening.

Guest MarkIngram
Hey Mark - Not long now and it will be a manic last few days. Good luck with it all.

Say Hi to Bath for me...we lived there for may years before coming out here. :)

yep, not long at all now...just booked our taxi to the airport....money exchange tomorrow (at least the rate is starting to show signs of recovery).....loads of other things to do...but at least we've got a place sorted out now for when we arrive. I can't believe that it's finally come around....all seems a bit like a dream - hope I don't wake up and find it all not happening.

Guest the4hopes

Good luck and enjoy the journey, this will be your memories. Yes it does feel like a dream, a year on for us and it still does, the funny thing is so does our old life in England, I hope reality doesn't hit, I'm enjoying this!!!