Moving to Hallett Cove - who else is there??

jo_marnes

Hi all,

We have finally got a mortgage approved on a house and we should be moving to Hallett Cove in a couple of weeks :)

Just wondering if there are other familes on here who live nearby (we are buying in Nannigai Drive)? Our boys are 6, 3 and 1 and I know my eldest would love to have some friends nearby. He is currently at school in Brighton but I will be looking at the schools in Hallett Cove for him to start after the Christmas break.

I was also wondering if there were any places nearby for their swimming lessons? They are at State Swim on Morphett Rd now, not sure if there is anywhere closer?

Thanks,

Jo xx

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, we are in Hallett Cove. Have two children, daughter Ellie-May 9, and son Charlie 7. Currently in a holiday let in Aroona Road, moving next couple of weeks to Inali Court. We only arrived 5 weeks ago. Both have been at Hallett Cove R-12 for 3 weeks now. Both love it, settled really quickly and have made lots of friends (mums are very friendly too!).

Give me a shout if you fancy a coffee - you will be more than welcome!

Julie

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi not in oz yet but are hoping to settle in hallets cove when we finally arrive. got two girls 9 and 4 so will be picking your brains when youve settle in lol.

Guest aogley@aol.com.au

hi jo,i am the guy you posted about window cleaning,we live in hallett cove and have two children thomas 9 and charlotte 7,been in hallett cove for a year and love it!.cheers andrew.

Guest Farrows

Hi we are also in Hallett Cove been here about 5 weeks I have 2 boys Alfie 8 and Charlie 4 Alfie at Hallett Cove east loves it and settled really well Charlie at Kindy and they are friendly. Met other mums and dads and everyone has been lovely!!

If want to get together let me know always up for meeting new people!!

Can't answer re swimming my boys are into soccer and athletics !!

Becki x

Guest ben&sharon

Here too!! Ben and I and our little fella Jamie (nearly three...) moved in at the beginning of September. We're going to be looking for swimming lessons pretty soon too - it's been on the list since we got here. Can't speak for the schools, cos J's in childcare, but we're really happy with that. We both work full time, but we're around at the weekends. :)

We're here too, on Coorabie Crescent, but our kids are a little older (Thomas 12 and Madelyn nearly 9). Both are currently in Hallett Cove East but my son will be staring his final year in January so I'm guessing it'll be the R12 for him in 2011.

Morphett Road State Swim is the closest State Swim to HC but ours were actually in the Seaford one, until not too long ago, so I've no idea if it's good or not but the reputation for any of them is normally pretty good.

J.

Serious questions.

Why do so many migrate to HC? I thought most people leave UK to get away from the life there, but HC seems to be like a little England?

And also please be honest, again I am not stirring, but do any of you shop at Colandes? If so, do you agree its the most feral shopping centre in Adelaide?

I must emphasise, these are valid observations. I can go into detail, on another thread, as to why I say what I do about Colonades.

Guest ben&sharon
Serious questions.

Why do so many migrate to HC? I thought most people leave UK to get away from the life there, but HC seems to be like a little England?

And also please be honest, again I am not stirring, but do any of you shop at Colandes? If so, do you agree its the most feral shopping centre in Adelaide?

I must emphasise, these are valid observations. I can go into detail, on another thread, as to why I say what I do about Colonades.

Hallett Cove is a big suburb - there are proportionately no more Brits there than in any other place. Do stop banging on about this, PLEASE.

Serious questions.

Up to a point I can understand why many settle down there - I guess a lot of people in the UK have this "ideal" of living near a beach when they move here, and Hallett Cove is probably where prices start to come down a bit for the coastal places. So if people come out here, check out the various suburbs, have a job in the southern suburbs or in the City and decide on Hallett Cove, then good luck to them.

What I can't quite grasp though is people that have never been to Adelaide deciding before they've even arrived that Hallett Cove is where they'd like to live! That's before they've even worked out where they'll be working, and how long the commute from there might be! I read some posts on another (terrible!) forum about people's journey time to work and to be honest was horrified that people thought an hour each way was quite acceptable!! Driving in Adelaide has to be one of the most stressful things about the whole place, and willingly submitting to all that time at the mercy of the other (infamous) Adelaide drivers when you've moved to such a laid back place seems the height of madness to me!! Especially when in my opinion, even if you were working in the absolutely worst place in Adelaide, you could find a really lovely suburb within an easy 20-30 minute drive to live in!

Elizabeth was where all the English settled about 40 years ago, and it got a bad reputation amongst locals as being "little England" - I have already heard about Aussies feeling outnumbered by Brits in Hallett Cove and thus moving out, so worry that it will become the "Elizabeth of the future"!!

I ought to stress though that I am a little biased, as while I don't mind the occasional visit to the beach myself, I really hate the way sand gets everywhere and am so glad I only have to sweep up dog hair regularly from my tiles, not sand all the time!! On the other hand, I have heard the HC beach is more rocky....so maybe that's a point in it's favour!

Serious questions.

Can only speak for myself and my family but we chose Hallett Cove because...

1. Wanted somewhere near to the city but not too near as when we arrived we were unsure of where OH would be working.

2. As a mum with 2 young children, I wanted somewhere that had a lot of young families (British, Aussies, from timbucktoo, I didn't care) around.

3. Again, family reasons, wanted somewhere with good amenities close to hand. Great little shopping centre with supermarket, Big W, Post Office, Banks, great ice cream shop (super for an after school treat on Friday's) and coffee bars, along with a few other shops.

4. After considering a few areas, contacted schools and got a really great feeling from the R-12. The secretary there did all she could for us whilst we were in the UK and I have to say, so far so good. The children love it there - and considering my eldest had a pretty rough time at school in the UK, I am over the moon.

I think Sharon is right, don't think there are that many more Brits here than anywhere else, maybe we just post on PIA more! :)

I can only say that for us Hallett Cove so far has been great, and not looking to move away any time soon.

Julie

I am not banging on about anything. I ask a question and you get defensive?

I live in the NE, and am about 14kms from the City and I like it, I believe Hallet Cove is only a few kms further out.

Maybe it's because it's near the beach people go there, maybe beacuse it's cheaper (is it?)

I genuinely want to know why it appears so great, and as Di said people like it from 12,000kms away!

The other terrible forum had thsi North/South Debate which is funny, as I won every argument!

One reason why I would NEVER live in the south, you drive into the sun to/from work if you work in the city. Maybe that's just me who considers that an issue?.

Up to a point I can understand why many settle down there - I guess a lot of people in the UK have this "ideal" of living near a beach when they move here, and Hallett Cove is probably where prices start to come down a bit for the coastal places. So if people come out here, check out the various suburbs, have a job in the southern suburbs or in the City and decide on Hallett Cove, then good luck to them.

What I can't quite grasp though is people that have never been to Adelaide deciding before they've even arrived that Hallett Cove is where they'd like to live! That's before they've even worked out where they'll be working, and how long the commute from there might be! I read some posts on another (terrible!) forum about people's journey time to work and to be honest was horrified that people thought an hour each way was quite acceptable!! Driving in Adelaide has to be one of the most stressful things about the whole place, and willingly submitting to all that time at the mercy of the other (infamous) Adelaide drivers when you've moved to such a laid back place seems the height of madness to me!! Especially when in my opinion, even if you were working in the absolutely worst place in Adelaide, you could find a really lovely suburb within an easy 20-30 minute drive to live in!

Elizabeth was where all the English settled about 40 years ago, and it got a bad reputation amongst locals as being "little England" - I have already heard about Aussies feeling outnumbered by Brits in Hallett Cove and thus moving out, so worry that it will become the "Elizabeth of the future"!!

I ought to stress though that I am a little biased, as while I don't mind the occasional visit to the beach myself, I really hate the way sand gets everywhere and am so glad I only have to sweep up dog hair regularly from my tiles, not sand all the time!! On the other hand, I have heard the HC beach is more rocky....so maybe that's a point in it's favour!

Views, views, views, at an affordable price and only 1 hour from the wild, beautiful Southern Ocean - that's what makes Hallett Cove special. I've lived there for 16 years on and off, never tire of the vistas, and had Aus, British, Filipino and South African neighbours! I prefer no neighbours at all, but can't find that near the sea at an affordable price! As long as Brits don't bring the country's social problems, I'm sure Australians won't mind a few "eeh ecky thumps" and "stone the bleedin' crows" over the garden fence.

My journey to work has always been 2 trains, 3-hour round trip that's full of walking, reading, ipod and sleeping! I think HC is worth the travel time

Maybe people decide to live here before coming over because of the effusiveness of people like me!

Guest ben&sharon
I am not banging on about anything. I ask a question and you get defensive?

I live in the NE, and am about 14kms from the City and I like it, I believe Hallet Cove is only a few kms further out.

Maybe it's because it's near the beach people go there, maybe beacuse it's cheaper (is it?)

I genuinely want to know why it appears so great, and as Di said people like it from 12,000kms away!

The other terrible forum had thsi North/South Debate which is funny, as I won every argument!

One reason why I would NEVER live in the south, you drive into the sun to/from work if you work in the city. Maybe that's just me who considers that an issue?.

Not defensive, just completely bored of this discussion. I take a lot of pains not to be even obliquely offensive about where anybody lives - it's none of my business and I don't understand why you insist on stirring up what has already become a very over-tired discussion in another thread.. We all have our own requirements and desires and what's right for me is quite obviously not right for you.

As soon as i read the title of this thread, it did make me giggle....apologies to original poster....but just knew it would spark a little debate!

I too am a little bewildered how people can decide where they want to be from 12,000kms away...

I remember HC being talked about all the time, way back in the days when we were looking at emigrating...have to admit, thought 'um...' better make sure we check this place out when we arrive...and to be honest, wondered what all the fuss was about!!! So you see....cant really tell till you get here...

BUT funnily enough...we ended up in HC, all be it for 8 months....and then that was only as we were struggling to find a decent rental property, and one came up there. Must admit, liked the Hallett Cove east school...but not too impressed with the R-12....one of the main reasons we didnt stay in HC...

We just knew we wouldnt settle there...was only a temp measure.......I do remember our aussie neighbours asking us as to why 'you pom's are all flocking to HC....lol :)

Anyway....have some fond memories of the place..and also some 'not so fond' ones.....

I am now 'happy' in Happy Valley......and there are certainly a few of us poms over here as well......:biglaugh:

Good luck with yr move....

P.S......4 years tomorrow we left the UK.........where as the time gone?

P.S.S. glad to see you are still alive and kicking 'adelaidenow'

Bill, Why is it more affordable than many other places? If it is such a great place and with POMS desperate to move there (traditionally we are loaded when we arrive) then the prices should be higher?

I'd say it's because the beach is not a great swimming beach, and it's just that bit further out from the City Centre. The same is probably true of Marino, Marino Rocks and Kingston Park, the next 3 beach suburbs heading North. I just mention Hallett Cove because it's what I know. Oh, it has its pockets of expensive luxury (right next to the sea of course), but the terrain means you can live a km or 2 from the beach and enjoy those views at a lower price.

Maybe the huge hills around the suburb deter the baby boomers with all their spare dollars to push up the price!