st georges day

Guest Tterrier81

Guest Tterrier81

i know its a while away but i was just wondering if anybody celebrates st georges day or if there is anywhere that has celebrations that i could attend?

i wanted to celebrate last year but couldnt find anything so ended up celebrating on my own with a couple of tetleys (beer not tea)

it would be nice if we could organise something through PIA, im willin to put in some time to help organise something, heres hoping we can have a day for the pommes something similar to the greek glendi festival, and then one day just maybe we could eclipse st paddys and colour adelaide in the beautiful red n white flag!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cornish Busdriver

Ive never celebrated st georges day as im cornish and we have st pirans day instead on march 7th.

Gotta admit didnt see anyone celebrateing st georges day last year here, shame realy as they have st pirans day, st patricks day and other asian celebration here.

Cant wait for the cornish festival next year as i missed it this year but did get the day off for st pirans

i know its a while away but i was just wondering if anybody celebrates st georges day or if there is anywhere that has celebrations that i could attend?

i wanted to celebrate last year but couldnt find anything so ended up celebrating on my own with a couple of tetleys (beer not tea)

it would be nice if we could organise something through PIA, im willin to put in some time to help organise something, heres hoping we can have a day for the pommes something similar to the greek glendi festival, and then one day just maybe we could eclipse st paddys and colour adelaide in the beautiful red n white flag!!

If you do celebrate it, I assume you will go into Work on Jan 26th? If you are so patriotic for a country you decided to leave, I suggest you are in the wrong country?

Ive never celebrated st georges day as im cornish and we have st pirans day instead on march 7th.

Gotta admit didnt see anyone celebrateing st georges day last year here, shame realy as they have st pirans day, st patricks day and other asian celebration here.

Cant wait for the cornish festival next year as i missed it this year but did get the day off for st piran

You don't have a day instead, you have an extra day. Cornwall is part of England, it has been for all your life. I assume you didn't know this (if you did you wouldn't have posted incorrect info), so I am more than happy to have taught you something else. I may start charging you for for my private tutoring. So far it has been the difference between a passport and driving license, Cornwall is not a country and a few IT bits.

And since when was Ireland part of Asia? If it is now you have taught me something.

I hope you are keeping notes, there will be an exam at the end of term :biglaugh:

EDIT BTW Matt, St Pirans day is in fact not March 7th at all :P:p:p

I'm sorry Tterrier81 that everyone has been so negative towards you and anti-English.

Personally I'm not particularly patriotic but I'm sure there are loads of people who would like to celebrate St George's day (with some decent beer) - that's if the politically correct lobby don't intimidate them too much.

Somehow it's OK to be Cornish or Greek or Irish but not English.

I don't get it.

from where i live now from where I lived before paddys day is only great in ireland ,bad over here celebrate aussies days inmtead much more fun although we put up flags for paddys day,but wexford ones do not really go in for flag flying

Just because you wish to celebrate your country of origin does not mean you are disprespecting Australia! Adelaide prides itself on welcoming cultures from near and far........

A particular D**T someone......gets my heckles up every time! I must learn to rise above it......

Sorry Tterrier....... you make a valid enquiry and as per....it kicks off into a squabble! - may the lecture begin...........................now!

Must admit I wish someone, somewhere (even in England!) would celebrate St George's Day - I would happily join in, and I celebrate Australia Day too (and the Queen's birthday!!!).

It does irritate me when people who live in Britain, or come from there, are so eager to distance themselves from the country mentally as well as physically. I don't choose to live there (at the moment), but Britain is a great country and I spent many happy years there, so why would I want to put it down? Also, what's with this "Cornwall isn't part of England" thing? Of course it is, just as Scotland, Northern Island and Wales are part of Great Britain (whether they like it or not!) and the rest of Ireland is part of the British Isles! Nothing wrong with a bit of local pride, but why disassociate yourself from the country that (presumably) made you what you are? I lived most of my life in Essex, which is part of England, which is part of Great Britain! All therefore have the right to a bit of loyalty from me. If Cornwall wants independence from England, then let it go through the proper channels and apply for that, or start a war of independence. Until then, Cornwall is in England!!!

Used to make me laugh on holiday in France when some pathetic Brits used to have a sticker on their car with "Ecosse" on it rather than "GB" - talk about hiding from the truth!

Bring on some St George's Day celebrations - let me know where they are and I'll be there, with my England flag!!!!

"Of course it is, just as Scotland, Northern Island and Wales are part of Great Britain (whether they like it or not!) and the rest of Ireland is part of the British Isles! "

Dont want to wade in here.but isnt this how most wars start, Yugoslavia, ussr, africa etc, hey lets force people into accepting who they are..dear dear me!!!!!! :(

LOL Well I did suggest a way to resolve the issue was a War of Independence..... Bring it on!!!!

Mind you, maybe that's because if Essex ever went for independence, we'd get Gavin (from Gavin and Stacey) running the government.... I suppose Cornwall could have....errmmm... Rick Stein??!!

Oh, and I guess I should have made it clear that by British Isles, I was talking geography, not politics!

Guest needtogonow
LOL Well I did suggest a way to resolve the issue was a War of Independence..... Bring it on!!!!

Mind you, maybe that's because if Essex ever went for independence, we'd get Gavin (from Gavin and Stacey) running the government.... I suppose Cornwall could have....errmmm... Rick Stein??!!

Not Rick Stein for Cornwall try Jethro instead! :biglaugh:

Bex (not a cornish maid but a devonshire dumpling).

I stand by what I say though, trying to turn Adelaide into Little England for a day is wrong. Celebrating St Georges day is fine, ramming it down the locals throats is another.

As I also said, for some reason St Georges Day was traditionally celebrated by the far right. I have never been to patriotic for any country, hence not celebrating it.

For gods sake the original poster only asked if anyone celebrated St George's day over here and everyone acts as if they wanted to throw a BNP rally!!:realmad:

I'm English and celebrate St George's day (which is also my mother's birthday), my wife's Irish and celebrates St Patrick's day. That doesn't mean that we are Anti-Australia, far from it, we absolutely love it here and embrace everything that it has to offer.

So get off you're high horses and take a chill pill. You sound like a bunch of whinging pommies!

Now anyone for a rousing chorus of Advance Australia Fair?

Guest lastboyscout
For gods sake the original poster only asked if anyone celebrated St George's day over here and everyone acts as if they wanted to throw a BNP rally!!:realmad:

I'm English and celebrate St George's day (which is also my mother's birthday), my wife's Irish and celebrates St Patrick's day. That doesn't mean that we are Anti-Australia, far from it, we absolutely love it here and embrace everything that it has to offer.

So get off you're high horses and take a chill pill. You sound like a bunch of whinging pommies!

Now anyone for a rousing chorus of Advance Australia Fair?

I agree totally, as for St.Georges day being celebrated by the `far right` I disagree :nah:

Its celebrated by anyone who is proud to be English, which even though we chose to live in Adelaide, we still are!!!

If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is forever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam;

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

The Soldier

Rupert Brooke

;)

Guest Tterrier81
If the Bangladeshis tried to paint the UK in their colours the Brits wouldnt be happy. So to come on here and state they want to turn Adelaide into little England for a day is not something that should be supported.

Anyway, traditionally (although it is changing) St Georges Day was only 'celebrated' by the far right.

im not saying i want to turn the whole city of adelaide into england for a day, thats just stupid, what im saying is why cant we have a festival/celebration in a quiet corner of the parklands or something similar

also please take 2 minutes to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baishakhi_Mela_(London)

im not saying i want to turn the whole city of adelaide into england for a day, thats just stupid, what im saying is why cant we have a festival/celebration in a quiet corner of the parklands or something similar

also please take 2 minutes to read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baishakhi_Mela_(London)

Ya might want to update the link mate - Wiki does not have much on that one!