19 and Moving out in feb :S

Guest TiffanyApril13

Guest TiffanyApril13

Hi im new on here so im not really sure how it works!

Im hopefully moving to Adelaide in Feb with my big family but really worried about leaving all my friends/family behind. Im currently doing a college course in Business and Admin so i also have to leave that behind half way through.

I was just wondering if anyone can let me no if its easy to meet people my age or is anyone else in the same situation?

I know a few people that are in contact with people from Australia who say Adelaide is quiet and boring :S this also really worries me as im so outgoing.

:)

Fanksss

Tiffany

Guest kangomik

Welcome to the forum.

I guess it all depends on what your used to, if your into clubbing 5 nights a week then Adelaide will be a little quiet.

If your not then Adelaide may be a bit too busy for you:biglaugh:

Adelaide is very small, the surrounding suburbs sprawl for many many miles, so don't just judge it all on the city.

Meeting new friends is the key, and you have to put yourself out there. Friendly bunch and very helpful

To be honest alot of under 25 year olds travel away from Adelaide, and come back later in life.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give it a go first, it could just suit you fine.

Have fun on the adventure.

Hi Tiffany and welcome.

My daughter is the same age as you. We've been in Adelaide for the past 2 months and to be honest she has found it hard to meet people around her age which has been difficult for her. She is now working so hopefully this will improve a little.

I think the nightlife can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be, depends on what you enjoy! There are clubs in the city and Glenelg seems to be a popular area for the younger crowd. Where will you be staying?

Guest TiffanyApril13
Hi Tiffany and welcome.

My daughter is the same age as you. We've been in Adelaide for the past 2 months and to be honest she has found it hard to meet people around her age which has been difficult for her. She is now working so hopefully this will improve a little.

I think the nightlife can be as quiet or as busy as you want it to be, depends on what you enjoy! There are clubs in the city and Glenelg seems to be a popular area for the younger crowd. Where will you be staying?

Hi ya, we will be staying in Morphett Vale for 6 weeks while we look around for a lon term rental house. Will def have to meet up. Where do you live? What is your daughter doing for work?

Tiff

Guest TiffanyApril13
hey im 23 and moving out with just my mum arriving on the 7th feb

im similar circumstances needing to make new friends to go for drinks etc as i am petrified aout he fact i do not know anybody at all

add me on fb love http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1175927318 xx

Iv just added you lol! Okay well our flight out is the 14th Feb so once im out there we could always meet up or somethin :) x

If you've been doing a business course in the UK get as much documentation as possible about the study you've already completed. That way you should get credit for it over here.

Then enrol in a course over here. You'll have a whole course full of potential new friends with shared interests.:cute:

edit: have you checked the TAFE website at http://www.tafesa.edu.au/home.aspx yet?

Ditto the above. If you are going back into education over in Adelaide you'll be sure to meet people of your age and hopefully strike up some friendships.

Also nothing beats just putting yourself out there, joining some clubs/sports/activities and so on. I know when I first moved away overseas I was 20 and within a few months had a great group of friends, mostly also from overseas but a couple of locals. From that I got to have trips away, mad weekends in Denmark and elsewhere and a few other things.

I'd suggest trying to hook up with a few other ex pat people your age. I think some on here arrange meet ups or would be happy to hook up to show you round.

I know when I've been out in the city for a night out I've found it good. But then I am a fair bit older. Still, it wasn't so long ago my hubby was at uni and partying a fair bit. And some of his cousins are in their early 20's and have a mad social life alongside their studies.

Also a part time job in a social/casual setting might be good. Cafe, bar, something leisure connected, might help introduce you to a few people.

I'd give it a try and remember to give it a bit of time and to put the effort in to get to know Adelaide, find your way round, the popular/good local haunts and so on. Like anyplace it has its popular bars/cafes and so on, just might not always be easy to find. I also recommened taking the odd day and just exploring the city and a few suburbs of interest. Just walking, catching the bus, take a camera, have lunch out and just let the city surprise you :)

Its also going to be a very different way of life to start with. Try not to compare it with what you are used to over here. Take it own its own merits if you can as comparing usually doesn't really help much. I remember my first move overseas I was unsure for the first month or so but then found my feet, got brave with the language and found my bearings and there was no stopping me.

Good luck :)

Hi Tiffany, we're in west beach at the moment. will hopefully be settling in henley beach/ grange area. My daughter, Kelsey, is working as a waitress in a local restaurant, Im sure she would be happy to meet up when you arrive, she is on facebook so look her up if you want to. (Shes the only Kelsey Frowen on there so shouldn't be too difficult to find!!)

Guest TiffanyApril13
Ditto the above. If you are going back into education over in Adelaide you'll be sure to meet people of your age and hopefully strike up some friendships.

Also nothing beats just putting yourself out there, joining some clubs/sports/activities and so on. I know when I first moved away overseas I was 20 and within a few months had a great group of friends, mostly also from overseas but a couple of locals. From that I got to have trips away, mad weekends in Denmark and elsewhere and a few other things.

I'd suggest trying to hook up with a few other ex pat people your age. I think some on here arrange meet ups or would be happy to hook up to show you round.

I know when I've been out in the city for a night out I've found it good. But then I am a fair bit older. Still, it wasn't so long ago my hubby was at uni and partying a fair bit. And some of his cousins are in their early 20's and have a mad social life alongside their studies.

Also a part time job in a social/casual setting might be good. Cafe, bar, something leisure connected, might help introduce you to a few people.

I'd give it a try and remember to give it a bit of time and to put the effort in to get to know Adelaide, find your way round, the popular/good local haunts and so on. Like anyplace it has its popular bars/cafes and so on, just might not always be easy to find. I also recommened taking the odd day and just exploring the city and a few suburbs of interest. Just walking, catching the bus, take a camera, have lunch out and just let the city surprise you :)

Its also going to be a very different way of life to start with. Try not to compare it with what you are used to over here. Take it own its own merits if you can as comparing usually doesn't really help much. I remember my first move overseas I was unsure for the first month or so but then found my feet, got brave with the language and found my bearings and there was no stopping me.

Good luck :)

Thankyou that was really useful! x

Guest TiffanyApril13
Hi

We are arriving 28th January. Our daughter is 19 also and is worried about making friends. I will get her to contact you, she is out at the moment making the most of her last few weeks! We will be staying in Hallett Cove until we get somewhere permanent.

Yeah ok that will be good. I don't blame her I'm doin the same lol. Thank you.

Hi Tiffany

I'm a bit older than u (31) but also from Chelmsford and arrived in Adelaide in August. If u like decota/yates then head to Henley beach for a day/night out and you'll soon be pleased u came out. The city has some great places to go u just need to know where. There are loads of sports clubs around so would recommended looking into that or some kind of fitness class like zumba, which my girlfriend loves, to meet people. For young people wanting a social life is recommend Glenelg or Henley although I'm sure there are some other nice suburbs about.

For those getting here soon apparently the Adelaide fringe festival is supposed to be very good.