Late teens arriving July

Guest Clarky

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post - but here goes

We are moving with our two boys about July/August. They haven't said much about the move, but I think they might be worried about making new friends.

Has anyone out there moved out with kids in this age group? Did they find it difficult?

I think that once they find work it will be a big help

Any advice gratefully recieved

Trish

Guest storey2010

Hi Trish we are moving out in march and my boys are 15 and 18, they are laid back about the whole uprooting also. You will read lots of good and bad stories try not to worry as long as your kids and you take ond day at a time I am sure it will work out!!!! Not much help but just to let you know your not on your own!!! Sandra x

Guest tarynFro94

Hi Trish! Me (16) and my sister (19) moved out here with our parents about 3 months ago, and we too were worried about making new friends. It is hard at first, and we struggled alot adapting to the fact we couldn't go out all the time like we used to! But a few weeks after being out here we started meeting people and making friends. My sister got a job which made things easier for her as she was able to make more friends via work. If they are sociable then they'll make friends in no time, if you start talking to somebody/ being sociable then quickly enough they'll build up a network of friends! :D

To both Trish and Sandra, if any of your sons are overly worried about the whole friend thing, then feel free to add me, or my sister on facebook, and we'll be happy to help with any concerns they have! :)

Guest kangomik

My kids are a lot younger so i have no info regarding that.

What i do notice is that the culture is different here, it's not as pub / club related. (booze) They tend to go out and do different things and meet up in other places.

For example friends on facebook in the UK always seem to have a drink in there hand when they are out. friends over here tend not to.

If they are into sports they will be ok, that will build their circle of friends up quickly.

Hi Trish we are moving out in march and my boys are 15 and 18, they are laid back about the whole uprooting also. You will read lots of good and bad stories try not to worry as long as your kids and you take ond day at a time I am sure it will work out!!!! Not much help but just to let you know your not on your own!!! Sandra x

Hi Sandra

Thanks for reply - wow just a few weeks to go! How are you feeling - apart from exhausted I expect. Do you have family there or is it a complete jump into the unknown?

Would love to know what your first few weeks are like when you get there, hopefullly you'll have time to post

Trish x

Thanks - nice to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak - I mean teenagers that are going through it. Liam is very outgoing - so hope he wont have problems settling, but Jack is not so confident - so hope work will be the 'in' for making friends.

They would kill me if they knew I was talking about em like this. Might defo mention facebook though and see what they think

Cheers

Trish

Hi Trish! Me (16) and my sister (19) moved out here with our parents about 3 months ago, and we too were worried about making new friends. It is hard at first, and we struggled alot adapting to the fact we couldn't go out all the time like we used to! But a few weeks after being out here we started meeting people and making friends. My sister got a job which made things easier for her as she was able to make more friends via work. If they are sociable then they'll make friends in no time, if you start talking to somebody/ being sociable then quickly enough they'll build up a network of friends! :D

To both Trish and Sandra, if any of your sons are overly worried about the whole friend thing, then feel free to add me, or my sister on facebook, and we'll be happy to help with any concerns they have! :)

Sorry the reply abovewas meant for you, should have included your quote :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Technology's not my strong point - ashamed to say I don't even have a facebook account! The boys do - I let em know what you said - thanks again