Northern Soul Alive In Adelaide.

Guest Smallheathian

Guest Smallheathian

If anyone is into Northern Soul (oldies and Modern) and quality Black music, there is a night coming up at the Promethean Theatre,116 Grote Street,Adelaide on the 29th of December ,8 til late.

This is a great place to meet fellow expats into tunes and rare vinyl.There is always a good cross section of fresh faces, and people who have been here for years and know the ropes.

Quality tunes guarenteed.

If you are interested please reply to this post.

Keep the Faith.

More details on website. www.soulunderground.com.au

Guest Smallheathian

Yep,Small Heath, or Gods Country as we like to say.

As for the Adam and Eve, i know it well ,but maybe the soul Nites happened after i left in 1999.We usded to run nights at the old Bolton Arms and up Sheldon and anywhere else that would play decent tunes.

Hope you can make it ,should be a good night.

Where you from ?

Guest Smallheathian

You might know a few of the Sheldon Soulies,Jimmy Sheard,Mitchell Parkin, Ada Gallagher, Micky Cooper ,Martin O'Boyle and more.

We used to run a night called Back Street Boogie at the Sheldon Pub in the 80's.

I also used to do Sunday nights at Sinatras up town.

We used to get coaches from The Cabin (or the Radley Arms i think it is now) to the allnighters.

Now i'm starting to prattle on like an old boy !!

• 2 years later...
Guest Smallheathian

No problem,i'll post date of next one on here . We even let Blue noses in. Come on you Lions !! And it was definately a penalty.

Guest davey72

not another tweleve toer from aston, keep me posted for the next one as much advance as poss so we can sort the baby sitter...............keep right on!

Guest Smallheathian
not another tweleve toer from aston, keep me posted for the next one as much advance as poss so we can sort the baby sitter...............keep right on!

From Aston? Look at the name "SMALLHEATHIAN" that might just give you a clue. I was just smarter than the average local.;)

Guest Smallheathian

Skinhead yes ,a long time ago.Thats the first time i've heard anyone from Small Heath described as posh. :biglaugh: I thought you Sutton skins were the posh ones.

Guest holtender
Skinhead yes ,a long time ago.Thats the first time i've heard anyone from Small Heath described as posh. :biglaugh: I thought you Sutton skins were the posh ones.

kingstanding.

Guest gerry1959

Hi. Just arrived from bonnie scootland, really glad to hear that somthings happening over here on the northern soul scene(what about the scooter scene?)bringing my px over ,cant wait to get out and about.Is there anything going to be on in the near future we are in the glenelg area for now.

Guest davey72
Hi. Just arrived from bonnie scootland, really glad to hear that somthings happening over here on the northern soul scene(what about the scooter scene?)bringing my px over ,cant wait to get out and about.Is there anything going to be on in the near future we are in the glenelg area for now.

To my reckoning Adealide has two scooter clubs one meets 1st Sunday of the month various locations ( adelaide crusaders) and not sure of the other one but this chap has all the details vintagevespa@optusnet.com.au the dudes name is Mark ( I have purchased a few bits of him) they had a big ride out last year at the Barrosa.

I shipped my 1961 Vespa over with me. I have yet to take it to the SA Gov place in Lonsdale so I can get some rego on it.

I am up in Marino so not a million miles from you when it is all sorted I am up for a ride out (mine is not very fast though!! )

There is a nourthern soul night once a month next one is 29th May. Hoping to make along myself as we have babysitters!

Adelaide Soul City

Guest davey72
From Aston? Look at the name "SMALLHEATHIAN" that might just give you a clue. I was just smarter than the average local.;)

I meant the salubriuos area from where your team is from, good taste in music shame it didnt follow on with your team selection :biglaugh:

• 2 years later...
Guest declan magee

I shall be there with my better half.

Been here since early October and just getting around to discovering where the good things are in Adelaide and a soul night comes under that category.

Me and the wife will be to two people dancing like we have just left the primary school disco.

Declan

Guest poolelad

Hello Declan, it will be great to have some more new faces turning up. Since this thread was started it's moved on a bit. Our northern soul nights are now on at the German club in Libders street in the city. The next one is on Saturday Jan 12th 8 till 1 am. We do have a web site which is www.adelaidesoulcity.com/ (you might have to type it in yourself or just google it) this should let you know all that is happening at the German club, also there are links to other soul sites around Australia.

Puity you didn't find us sooner as you missed what we call over here "The National" which was in Nov & it was our turn to host it. It was a cracking weekend with well over 300 there on the Saturday night from all over Australia New Zealand & some from the UK. Next year it's Perths turn & again this will be around the weekend of the 10th November.

By the way where are for from, I'm from Poole in Dorset, but used to travel up to Wigan, Stafford, Yate & a few other places when I lived there.

So hopefully we'll see you in Jan & willl become another "one of the regular's".

Cheers Bob.

Guest declan magee

Hi Bob

Thanks for rubbing it in about missing the biggest event of the year and it was on our door step :)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see Perth next year.

As for me, I'm from Belfast but have been living just outside of Stockport for the last 16 years with Julie, my Stockport wife.

We only know northern soul from going to scooter do's and rallies and as I mentioned earlier neither of us managed to learn a single step or move.

but we do enjoy the music.

Looking forward to seeing you all on Saturday 12th.

Declan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest poolelad

Hello Declan just a reminder that this Saturday is the Northern Soul night at the German club (flinders st, City) from7-45 til 1-00 am. I'm the first Dj so I'll be there from the start.Hopefully you can make it. Cheers Bob.