New to Adelaide- 28, female, Scottish- hello!

Guest mhamha

Guest mhamha

Hello,

I replied to a couple of threads but as I'm new to this, thought it might be better to make my own thread? I'm 28, Scottish, and arrived over here just a few days ago. I'm planning on being here just for a year to begin with, and then depending how much I like it, might arrange to stay longer!

I am quite a social person though and finding it a bit lonely as I don't know many people, so would be up for meeting up to have a chat with anyone! I am working part-time at UniSA but am sorting out some more employment in the near future.

I am missing tea, central heating and British chocolate at the moment, but liking Adelaide- it's a beautiful city and the view from the hills is stunning. Any tips on things to do to meet people and make friends, or must-sees?

thanks!

Mhairi

PS this post is quite early but I'm awake with Jet Lag!

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya Mha

well if you dont mind us old gits (40) im always up for a coffee, beer and a chat.

Im afraid you just gotta cuddle a koala and feed a kanga whilst ya here lol lol lol

Hi- Just sent you a PM- thought you might like to meet my wife, Amy. She loves tea, AND chocolate and will be able to give you good advice on both! It might have gone to your email- I'm not sure if my PMs work for some reason- its not in my sent box...

Cheers

Jim

Guest mhamha

thanks guys- what a friendly response! Would like to arrange a party but not likely with my living arrangements at the mo, though meeting for a coffee / drink always good! Send me a PM if you fancy meeting and I'll do the same if you've written above!

Ta

Mha

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cat83

Hi Mhairi

Hope your settling into Adeaide life! Im moving to adelaide in November with my fiance who is australian but would love to meet up with some scottish girls! And i know of a place that sells cadburys chocolate!!

Cat x

Hi Mhairi,

I'm 29 my hubby is 37 we're from Wales so fellow Celts haha we're going to be in the Dublin pub in Mosely Square, Glenelg (right accross the square from the final tram stop, so dead easy to get to from the CBD) tomorrow from 2pm for a few hours and might even meet a few new PIA people there so it would be great if you could come along and meet us? My no is 0406 379 660 if you want to get in touch, or just turn up tomorrow - we'll be up on the balcony.

Love Katherine xxx

Guest mhamha

Hi guys

I think arranging a meet-up would be cool! And thanks for the invite for tomorrow... only thing is I am currently in bed with tonsilitis and feeling sorry for myself It's when you're ill that you really crave childhood comfort food- I need some Ribena and a Tunnocks caramel wafer!

When's good for people- in a couple of weeks maybe a Sunday afternoon meet-up?

Mha x

Guest mhamha

Hey nice to get PM's from peeps- thinking July 3rd to have a cuppa and a chat in the CDB if anyone would like to join- PM me and I'll give you my email address, and can arrange from there!

Feeling loads better and looking forward to the weekend, have a good one yerselves!

x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AMCD0109
Hello,

I replied to a couple of threads but as I'm new to this, thought it might be better to make my own thread? I'm 28, Scottish, and arrived over here just a few days ago. I'm planning on being here just for a year to begin with, and then depending how much I like it, might arrange to stay longer!

I am quite a social person though and finding it a bit lonely as I don't know many people, so would be up for meeting up to have a chat with anyone! I am working part-time at UniSA but am sorting out some more employment in the near future.

I am missing tea, central heating and British chocolate at the moment, but liking Adelaide- it's a beautiful city and the view from the hills is stunning. Any tips on things to do to meet people and make friends, or must-sees?

thanks!

Mhairi

PS this post is quite early but I'm awake with Jet Lag!

Hi Mhairi (cool, unusual name - sounds a bit Irish!),

I'm a 29 year old Irish guy that works as a lecturer in UniSA but on the city west campus. I arrived in Adelaide at the end of January and so far settling in quite well but have struggled a bit to make friends. Working in the Uni probably doesn't help it as I'm very young relative to most others. I've got to know a few people but not as many as I'd like. If you'd like to catch up some evening after work at the weekend for tea or a drink then that would be good. I'm heading home to Ireland on Thursday until the end of the month though (best man at a wedding) so it won't be until August.

Anthony

Guest CiaránDeBrún

Hey there mhamha, How are you? im Ciaran from Belfast im 27 and ill be in Adelaide in November 2011 and i hope to stay for as long as possible, cant wait to go to paradise lol had one day of sunshine now two months of rain live in spain for two years loved the life but just not the jobs available to me so taking a career break and see if i can have a new life in Adelaide maybe cya soon x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Viv75

Hi Mhairi,

I am Scottish , 36yrs with two young ones. Isabella 20 months and James 6 months. I am from Aberdeen, hubby Greg is Australian from Adelaide. We are living in Morphetville but will be moving back to Somerton Park in October. I am not working so can meet you for a coffee, I know where to get Scottish sweeties and Chocolate too. hahahah. We have just returned from a 4 year stint in the UK and just recently came back to live here in April. I was living in Adelaide previous to us going back for about 10 years. Met Greg in 95 in Aberdeen of all places. Anyways I know how lonely it can be and am close to you in age so I will PM you my mobile if you want to meet up.

Guest Lesley F

Hi Mhairi, I am also Scottish and hoping to arrive in Adelaide by Feb. I am coming over alone so will be looking to meet new friends.Like you I am friendly so would be nice to keep in touch and maybe meet up when I arrive. Hope you feel better soon :-) Lesley

Guest mhamha

Hey Guys

Is anyone up for a meet-up? Was thinking Saturday 6th or Sunday 7th August, maybe go for brunch? Or a cuppa and cake?

Whaddya think?

Mha x