Playing semi pro football in adelaide

Guest benjamin_27

Guest benjamin_27

Hi I am coming over to adelaide in December to visit my family and if all goes well I am looking to get a 12month working visa and I am after some information on semi pro football teams in Adelaide Iv been asked to play for a team called Balcatta fc but thats in Perth and I would rather play for a team in Adelaide so then at least I would have my family around

My Son was a full Professional Footballer in England, but he now Plays Semi Pro Soccer here in Adelaide. The standard is not as high, but you get about $300 a game if you are good. There are three leagues. Mens - Devine Super League, Premier League and State League. Obviously Super League is the best. Several teams are very good: Adelaide City, Metro Stars, Adelaide Blue Eagles and Adelaide Galaxy.

Devine Premier League: Enfield, Adelaide Comets and Adelaide Olympic

State League: Salisbury United, West Adelaide and South Adelaide

Good luck and by the way all teams have Seniors, Reserves, Under 19s and Youth Soccer Teams

Tony

Hi I am coming over to adelaide in December to visit my family and if all goes well I am looking to get a 12month working visa and I am after some information on semi pro football teams in Adelaide Iv been asked to play for a team called Balcatta fc but thats in Perth and I would rather play for a team in Adelaide so then at least I would have my family around

Send me your CV, I am the President of a Super league club, not one of the predominantly Italian/Greek ones that Tony mentioned. We are English/Asutralian.

Tony, is your son still at Adelaide City? Is he is in the reserves or first team this year? If the first will I see you at the game on Friday?

Cheers

Matt

Send me your CV, I am the President of a Super league club, not one of the predominantly Italian/Greek ones that Tony mentioned. We are English/Asutralian.

What's the big deal about a club being English/Australian rather than Italian/Greek?

What difference does it make?

There is nothing wrong with Greek/Italian/Croatian/Serb clubs at all. I get on with all of them (honestly).

However, you will see from the team lists that many have predominately players with heritage from their origins. Committees are 'often' made up of people with ethnic backgrounds.

We never turn anyone away due to race, but I feel very much at home being in an atmosphere of Anglo/Australian people.

We are in here (this forum) to mix with other POMS, do you frequent Greeks in Adelaide?

Clubs used to call themselves by their heritage but that has been banned by the FFSA. So Adelaide Croatia are now just Raiders (They play at the Croatian Sports centre), Polonia are Croydon, Hellas are West Adelaide etc.

To the OP I will PM you my email address.

Cheers

Matt

Guest Guest5035

(There are Rugby League teams here, but it really is a minority sport)

RL on the eastern seaboard is massive. Bring on Origin 3

Stevo

What do you mean? Where is the SA team in the NRL?

And just to correct you, football (Soccer) is played by more in SA than AFL is. There is room for all sports, but football is the fastest growing, most played game in Australia.

I think the reason for this is it's national, whereas AFL, RL and Union are not played en masse round the country.

Guest Guest75
The OP wants to play football in Adelaide

Isn't it called Soccer here? To differentiate against Football/"Footy"/Aussie rules football??

Good for the OP to know and then there is no confusion.I have been corrected a few times by the locals.

No it's called football.

The governing body is the FFA, the local one FFSA. The first F being for football in each instance.

Of course some still call it soccer, which is actually derived from the English, the game is Association Football, and soccer is from teh association part, Oxford students started that, like they called Rugby rugger.

Rugby league is called football in NSW

Rugby Union is called football in QLD

AFL is called football in SA

It's all very confusing!!!

No, anyone who is involved in football in any way here will tell you it's definitely "football" here - I think there was even an official decision some years back about it. It does depend who you are speaking to I guess, and if it's a died in the wool Aussie Rules supporter they're never going to be convinced, but hopefully the OP will be speaking to people who are involved in (proper) football here so will not need to adjust their language!

Interesting point about the origins of the word Soccer, thanks Matt - I didn't know that!