Older Couples

Guest Missbabz

Guest Missbabz

Hi everyone, Kevin and I are new to PIA and working through the immigration process like many others to start a new life in Oz. Trawling through this fantastic site we see lots of threads from younger couples and families and wondered if there were many other dare I say older couples like us in their late forties/early fifties that we can discuss the whole immigration to Oz thing. It would be good to get a feel for what Oz and Adelaide has to offer two young at heart brits who are looking forward to a new life.

Babz & Kevin:jiggy::jiggy:

Guest Trakki

Hiya and welcome to PIA, can't help with the age things as We are a 'young' couple, well I am, Petes getting on a bit!!:D Just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck with everything.

Hi Babz & Kevin,

welcome to PIA, the age of myself and my OH may seem young to some, but my body and lack of energy these days are saying something different. (don't know if it's all this waiting and the australian reds that we are sampling till we get there!)

Good luck with the process and welcome aboard x

Guest homewardbound

Hello Babz and Kevin and hello to everyone on PIA

I have been looking at this site ever since my daughter, Rachael who posts on here, told me about it but have only now felt moved to post on here in response to your post. My husband, David, and I are in our early 50s. As I was born in Australia, I applied for an Aussie passport a couple of years ago and that entitles me to move back there and David to go on a spouse's visa which he got a couple of months ago. Although I have posted as "homewardbound" I haven't lived in Australia since I was 12! So I have all the doubts, anxieties etc that most people have from time to time, mixed in with excitement and anticipation. Rachael and James now have their visas and our son, Paul who is 28 is coming with us on a working holidaymaker's visa and will then apply for a remaining relative visa when he is there. We are in the process of putting our houses on the market at the moment. We are also now telling friends and family about our move which is the hardest part. I will miss all my lovely friends more than anything, I think. My brother and his wife live in Adelaide and I also have an elderly aunt, a cousin and her family there so we are luckier than most. Anything I can help you with, please let me know. Is it just you two who are going or do you have children going with you?

Hi everyone, Kevin and I are new to PIA and working through the immigration process like many others to start a new life in Oz. Trawling through this fantastic site we see lots of threads from younger couples and families and wondered if there were many other dare I say older couples like us in their late forties/early fifties that we can discuss the whole immigration to Oz thing. It would be good to get a feel for what Oz and Adelaide has to offer two young at heart brits who are looking forward to a new life.

Babz & Kevin:jiggy::jiggy:

Hello Babz and Kevin

Welcome to the site, I'm afraid I not too sure on the migration issues nowadays think it has changed since we came here 12 years ago, I used the monthly paper Australian Outlook which you can get in the UK, still exists- but I'm sure there are lots of other ones now? I would love to know how you are getting in as I have a friends (who live in Southsea) who have both just turned 45 and cannot see a way now of getting over here - so if you know something different please let me know!!

good luck with your application- all I can say is I'm looking forward to growing old in Oz!!

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Guys , cant help with the old git thing.....!!!!!:biglaugh:but as you say young at heart thats all that matters, welcome to PIA, and good luck with you application.

Cheers Graham

As my wife and I are an Older couple, qualifyingt at 64 & 61 respectively I feel qualified to answer this post.

We arrived here at the end of October after waiting almost a year for our Parent contibutory Visa.

Unfortunately we have still not been able to sell our house in the UK, and this has meant that we are unable to buy property here, which has left us a bit like nomads.

Fortunately we have some Aussie friends, and they have firstly let us live with them on their farm for about a month, and for the past month to live in and look after their new house which is still being finished.

Now we are in a state on uncertainty, as we are not sure whether we should rent, but this generally would have to be for a 6 month minimum, or move back to England until our house sells.

Fortunately I have not had to gain employment as I am retired, so at least this does not create a problem, but we are still not sure what our future holds, although I guess many new arrivals feel similar feelings.

Best of luck with your decision making!!

Guest bookworm64

hi babz and kevin

we are in between 42/43 not old but not exactly young!, but with a 13 year old who keeps us young.

we haven't been members of PIA long but i can say its very friendly and helpful, and quite addictive!!

Guest Missbabz

Hi Wendy

Kevin and I tried to emigrate to Oz about 5 years ago, but because we were 45yrs old, were classed as 'too old' unless we had alot of money to take into the country.

This time we are extremely lucky because Kevin has been offered a job and he has been sponsered by the company, giving us 3 months rented accommodation to start with to give us a chance to settle and find a property to either rent/buy. We will be staying in Glenelg/west lakes area to start with.

Your friends who live in Southsea (5miles from us) will find it very difficult being over 45yrs unless they can get a job and besponsered.

Good luck to them and to yourselves.

We also look forward to growing old in Oz, All paperwork sent off just awaitng the visas.

Where about do you live in Adelaide and what is the area like. I see you have been there since August. How was your move?

Babz & Kevin

Guest Missbabz

Hi Homeward bound

Well how exciting for you to be 'going home' and to be with alot of your family again. How long has your daughter been in Adelaide? What area do you think you will settle in?

Kevin and I will be leaving (sob sob) three of our grown up children here in the uk. My son Adam is 20yrs Kelly is 24yrs and Vikki is 26yrs old. At present they have their lives and partners here. Maybe in the future once we have settled, and after a holiday, they may well consider moving out there to Oz, Who knows what the future holds. I will miss them terribly and will find it very emotional for a while.

Kevin waas offered a job back in August and we made the decision to take the plunge and start a new life down under. It is a very big decision but felt we couldn't turn down the opportunity.

How good your son is happy to go with you. Fabulous opportunity for young ones.

We hope to settle in West Lakes area, but will have a good look around once we are there. The company who are sponsering Kevin will put us up in rented accommodation for 3 months in the Glenelg/West Lakes area. We are trying to sell our property, at the moment market is very quiet, this is quite frustrating as we want to get everything moving now, as selling could take about 3 to 4 months from finding a buyer.

Babz & Kevin

Guest Missbabz

Hi to you

We are trying to sell our house also and is very frustrating as you know, the market being very very slow at present. I am trying to be positive and hope by the end of the month things will pick up after Christmas.

It will bevery sad if you have to leav Oz to sell your home. Fingers crossed, as we speak that you have someone come along and buy.

We have already considered dropping the price so that will entice a quicker sale or even thought like yourselves to come out there and put someone in charge of selling our house. Difficult really as we would love to take the money with us and buy as soon as we could find a property in Adelaide.

Babz & Kevin

Guest Missbabz

Hi Graham and Jacqui and family

Thanx for reply and the welcome, not so much of the 'Old Git' though , although that does apply to Kevin. Don't tell him I said that or he'll be going to Oz without me!

Best of luck to you all

Babz & Kevin

Guest jetskitony

Hi,

welcome to the site,i am 41 and Tony is 40 in a couple of weeks,we are young at heart, we dont live far from you so if you would like to meet up,we could arrange something,we are hoping to be in Adelaide sept.good luck for the future.

Myrtle,Tony,Callum

Guest theshearers

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say Hi as we are moving to Eastney (Southsea) at the beginning of Feb. Steve is in the Royal Marines so will be based in Portsmouth for the next year or so until we move to Oz.

Great news on the job offer. We are hoping to go on an employer sponsored visa so hopefully a few job offers will be coming our way soon!!

As jetskitony said maybe we can arrange some sort of meet up in the next few months.

Good luck with it all

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Baz and Kev,

We are hope to live in West lakes as our first choice so maybe we will see you soon..

Martin and Val

(we can be classed as a couple of the older ones)

Guest homewardbound

Hi Babz

Sorry if I wasn't clear but Rachael and James (daughter and son-in-law) only got their visas last Thursday so they have only put their house on the market this week. Ours will be going on by the end of the month hopefully (just doing a bit of redecorating). We all seem to have picked a bad time to be trying to sell, don't we? Hopefully things will pick up soon though. I was actually born in Glenelg Community Hospital - don't know if it's still there!! I used to live in Brighton but we will now be looking to live around Hallett Cove, if possible, or maybe Happy Valley/Aberfoyle Park area. It must be awful having to leave your children behind and we are very lucky we are all going together. Still, I bet they'll change their minds when they come out and see you and all that lovely sunshine and space!

Veronica (or Ronni)

Guest Missbabz
Hi Baz and Kev,

We are hope to live in West lakes as our first choice so maybe we will see you soon..

Martin and Val

(we can be classed as a couple of the older ones)

Hi Martin & Val

We would love to see you in West Lakes, we'll make that a date. We have sent all our documents off, so are now waiting to hear that good news!!!!! Visa!

I believe you have two boxers to take to Oz, we also have a little bichon frise, so they could have some fun together. Oh what a wonderful future we have to look forward to.

Have you family in Oz? Kevin and I only know ourselves, so to speak, so will look forward to making lots of new friends:D:chatterbox:

Babz & Kevin

Guest Missbabz
Hi Guys

Just wanted to say Hi as we are moving to Eastney (Southsea) at the beginning of Feb. Steve is in the Royal Marines so will be based in Portsmouth for the next year or so until we move to Oz.

Great news on the job offer. We are hoping to go on an employer sponsored visa so hopefully a few job offers will be coming our way soon!!

As jetskitony said maybe we can arrange some sort of meet up in the next few months.

Good luck with it all

Hi

Will look forward to seeing you once youve settled in your new home. We only live about 5miles away from Southsea so wont be a problem at all.

Keep in touch and let us know when your here

Speak soon

Babz & Kevin:)

Guest Missbabz
Hi,

welcome to the site,i am 41 and Tony is 40 in a couple of weeks,we are young at heart, we dont live far from you so if you would like to meet up,we could arrange something,we are hoping to be in Adelaide sept.good luck for the future.

Myrtle,Tony,Callum

Hi

We are not sure when we will get to Adelaide but are expecting it to be around June/July, or should I say hoping it willbe. Can't wait, so excited. We are hoping to move to West Lakes area. Have you thought where you will settle? Have you family out there?

Would be great to meet up. How does Gun Wharf sound?

Babz & Kevin:chatterbox:

Guest jetskitony

Hi,

we dont have any family or friends in Adelaide,we think we would like to live in seaford or in the surrounding areas,but that could change when we move out there.Meeting at the gunwharf sounds great, sundays and mondays is best for us as they are tonys days of,he is an head chef and has to work the other days and evenings.

Myrtle,Tony,Callum

Guest Missbabz
Hi,

we dont have any family or friends in Adelaide,we think we would like to live in seaford or in the surrounding areas,but that could change when we move out there.Meeting at the gunwharf sounds great, sundays and mondays is best for us as they are tonys days of,he is an head chef and has to work the other days and evenings.

Myrtle,Tony,Callum

Hi There

Sundays would be a good day for us. We could meet up one afternoon for a drink and chat. We are busy this Sunday, but if your not busy how about next Sunday 20th Jan at about 4.30pm upstairs at Tiger Tiger?

Look forward to it.

Babz & Kevin:jiggy: