The UK's Smooth Radio Breakfast Show in Adelaide - Join us!

Guest seb_sears

Guest seb_sears

Hi all,

I'm putting together an Outside Broadcast for Smooth Radio's Simon Bates breakfast show in the UK, and I'm looking for any ex-pats who we could talk to about moving to Adelaide.

We'll be in Adelaide and the surrounding area from Sept 12th-16th, and would like to get people along to join in with the show, join us for coffee, have a chat etc. We'll be broadcasting live to the UK for breakfast, which we work out is 2:30 - 6:30 p.m. in Adelaide. Anyone around?

Guest seb_sears

That's great news Trev, we'd love to hear about the process and to find out how you're getting on after the initial move - good luck with it all!Thanks for the suggestion Moosh, we'll try and fit it in, it's looking like we'll find markets/coffee shops in Adelaide for day one, wine making at Jacob's Creek for day two, Kangaroo Island on day three, Port Lincoln day 4 and back into Adelaide for the final day, but any "must see" suggestions are gratefully received!

Guest Coleybear

How about an Australian who spent 10 years living in London and then brought her english son and husband back here to live? Had to "sell" Adelaide to them so to speak! Let me know if your interested!

Guest seb_sears

Great news, I'll keep everyone posted about where we'll be throughout the week - Nick11, Simon still does Our Tune every Monday and Friday, you can find them all saved on the Smooth Radio website :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for laid back coffee shops in Adelaide near a busy place we could broadcast from on day one? Where do real Adelaidians (?) go for their coffee?

Guest Guest75
Great news, I'll keep everyone posted about where we'll be throughout the week - Nick11, Simon still does Our Tune every Monday and Friday, you can find them all saved on the Smooth Radio website :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for laid back coffee shops in Adelaide near a busy place we could broadcast from on day one? Where do real Adelaidians (?) go for their coffee?

Glenelg would be a great spot,on the beach front and holiday-like. If not,perhaps Rundle Street,some great places there that spill out onto the street,quite mediterranean.

Guest guest3462

Ha Tyke you beat me to it! I was just about to suggest Cibo in Glenelg on the square at Jetty Road! Great coffee, buzzing place and fantastic area for an outdoor broadcast!!!

Guest needtogonow

I would suggest you could do it here at my Book and Coffee shop but I think Port Noarlunga although lovely is alittle too quiet in the winter.

Glenelg would be a great location.

Pop down for a decent latte though if your in the area :smile:

Bex

Guest seb_sears

@Bex/needtogonow - we might just take you up on the offer of popping down to visit you if that's OK? We won't invade your shop, might pop in for a coffee on the Sunday we arrive though?

Glenelg and Rundle Street sound perfect for the OBs, thanks Tyke and Churchj1.

Guest Murphy642

Hi I'd love to come along to this, we have been here 6 months and are settling in nicely. Bit cold at the mo tho Brrrr! There are loads of fantastic places to visit here. There is a great coffee shop on Rundle Mall I think it is Gloria Jeans, they were great when we arrived in Oz, let the kids sleep on their sofas when we were waiting to check in to our hotel!! I would heartily recommend the Crowne Plaza in Adelaide - gorgeous! Keep us updated!!!

Guest seb_sears

These are perfect suggestions, thanks all. @Moosh, I know Nigel well, he been on Jazz FM breakfast for a while now, he's a great guy. It looks like we'll be in Adelaide Central Market on Friday 16th Sept if anyone is around? We're also looking to do a special 'Our Tune' with an Adelaide feel, I'll post something here about it soon.

Zuma's or Lucia's are the place to go when you're at Central Market. Zuma's is a cafe, and Lucia's a great family run italian restaurant/cafe. Keep us posted with details and we'll try and make it along. Oh and check out the Feast stall (great local meats) and Wild Oz (for your 'roo steaks and crocodile sausages)

Many, many years ago when I was in France as part of my college course (as I said, many many years!) a friend's sister used to tape every Our Tune and send it out to us homesick girls, and we'd all gather round the tape player to listen to it...ahhh, memories (eek probably illegal ones though!!)

If you want any viewpoints from someone that's been here 7 years now, let me know...he newbies might be more interesting though, as apart from a recent trip back to the mother country, I've forgotten a lot of wat the UK is like now!

Guest loopylisa

Id love to- will land Sept 12th so preferably towards the end of that time. I moved to oz when i was 6 back to the UK when I was 15 and now am coming back for love <3 aged 27

Lise :)

Guest loopylisa

Also will you be streaming this online so people can listen to it another time? cus im not sure if my parents would be able to listen my dad works in a dairy factory so is up and out pretty early in the day

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bonnylass

Omg I work in the supermarket right next door to the markets I will be there have been in Adelaide 10 years and Australia 30 years this week, I am a Yorkshire lass born and bred and have just started listening to your show, was recommended to me by a friend from home... yes I still say home even after all this time, would love to be part of your show.

Coffee shops in Adelaide my goodness there are so many all that have been recommended are very good

Guest seb_sears

Wow Bonnylass that's amazing. @LoopyLisa - we don't post the show online, but it's streamed live and we might be able to sort something out.

In the meantime we're looking to try something a bit special - are people aware of Simon Bates' "Our Tune" feature? In summary, it's a listener's letter or email about their life and a song that reminds the of that period of their life. The story is usually a case of triumph over tragedy, and ends on a positive note.

We'd really love to feature an Our Tune story from an ex-pat in Adelaide, particularly if you left unhappy memories in the UK and went to start an amazing, uplifting new life from scratch in Adelaide.

I hope this makes sense, feel free to DM or ask me to get in touch if you'd like to know more. Thanks for all your help so far guys and gals, you've been amazing!