Just arrived on Saturday...a bit lost

Guest Kat+Rocco

Guest Kat+Rocco

Hi i arrived on Saturday with my hubbie and 3yr old daughter and have spent the last week trying to find our feet lol

We are currently in north Adelaide and I start work at WCH on Monday and would love to meet up with anyone nearby that could offer us any advice or just a chat.....

Currently sitting with wine trying desperately to find a rental property hopefully in Mawson Lakes

Hope to see someone soon lol we are feeling a little isolated :v_SPIN:

Hope you make contact with some folk in your area soon. We are lucky to have family here so I can't imagine what it must be like arriving here and not knowing anyone. Hope the job goes well, you find a suitable rental soon and that you settle in quickly. (We're in the south too and moving into a house in Aberfoyle Park next week!) Just come back from a short break in Victor Harbor to recharge the batteries (see album for photos)

Can you please explain what this means?

Are you UP NORTH or DOWN SOUTH?

Just something that I have heard people say here but dont understand it...:wacko:

Rob and Mel

When we lived in Adelaide it took me AGES to get my bearings with the sun being in the northern sky-I always felt like we were travelling south when we were going north and vice versa. Now we are in the UK and i am fine with NSEW again..but Aussie husband still gets confused and we have been back in the UK since 2006! LOL:wacko:

Hi i arrived on Saturday with my hubbie and 3yr old daughter and have spent the last week trying to find our feet lol

We are currently in north Adelaide and I start work at WCH on Monday and would love to meet up with anyone nearby that could offer us any advice or just a chat.....

Currently sitting with wine trying desperately to find a rental property hopefully in Mawson Lakes

Hope to see someone soon lol we are feeling a little isolated :v_SPIN:

Takes time to adjust,good luck with house hunting quite a lot to rent in Mawson Lakes, look at

realestate .com.au,and in the local free paper the Messenger.

We moved from Gawler to Mawson Lakes 5 months ago.

Good luck

Hi Kat and Rocco,

I know how you are feeling, I moved here by myself five weeks ago, not knowing anyone either. I am happy to meet up to try to give you some advice or even just provide you with a friendly face. I know it can all be quite overwhelming as things are so different here so am happy to help (not that i know a huge amount myself lol), but it does get easier. I am in the city so close to where you are currently, so let me know.

Kelly

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you're settling in ok. I just arrived a few weeks ago and have a place in North Adelaide. A lot of things to get your head around (not only the North V South question).

Good luck with the new job.

Jack

Guest guest1255

yes very difficult when you dont have a ready made family isnt it ....i know how u feel !!!

Hope you make contact with some folk in your area soon. We are lucky to have family here so I can't imagine what it must be like arriving here and not knowing anyone. Hope the job goes well, you find a suitable rental soon and that you settle in quickly. (We're in the south too and moving into a house in Aberfoyle Park next week!) Just come back from a short break in Victor Harbor to recharge the batteries (see album for photos)

Guest markristal

Hi Guys,

We are a bit further north than you ( Gawler) but are keen to meet up with people as we still feel a little isolated after a couple of years here. Having a 1 year old little boy quickly removed us from social scenes.

Happy to travel down to meet up around mawson with you?

Let us knom

mark and kristal

Guest Kat+Rocco

Aww thank u all,sorry I've not replied sooner but we've had no Internet access until now :( plus just got a new iPhone so can now keep up to date with life lol

Would be great to meet up with anyone who can I'm working full Time so my days off are a little limited, only off on Thursday this week :( however Richard isnt working yet and is at home alone with ruby (3) getting a little demented so if any other house husbands with kids in the area want to meet up he'd love it as hasn't socialized with anyone since we got here, unlike me who at least has been to work meeting people!

Guest Gemma Parker Gibbon

Hi Kelly,

I'm currently living at Mawson lakes, there's heaps of rentals about up here, its just a case of finding one that suits how u want to live.

I'm unemployed as currently 6 month preggers, but back home i was a CSW.

I totally know how u feel as i've spent the last 6 n half weeks at home while my other half is working, i'm just starting to meet people. If u want a friendly face n a cuppa private message me. Hopefully i can ease ur isolation alittle.

Gemma xx

Guest Kat+Rocco

Thanks Gemma we've got rental sorted in mawson lakes now been here a week now beautiful house but we do feel a little out the way I'm sure things will change when we start to socialize lol

I think I am really lucky to be the one at work feel so sorry for my hubbie stuck at home :(

Guest Gemma Parker Gibbon

O u definitely ur, poor hubby. Im sure if i wasnt pregs i'd have employment and that would get me meeting people, but never mind. u'll meet people at work too.

Where abouts r u? Its a lovely area, and the hotel does lovely meals. We just try to get out and about at the weekends, to the beach or up into the hills.

xx

Guest SusieOR

Hey Kat... do you want to get together sometime... we got here not long after you & we have a 'nearly' 3 year old (& a 'nearly' 1 year old)... but im sure our oldest would love to meet ur Ruby... if u fancy it???

nd Richard can talk to my hubby... LOL...

PM me if u want... we r just south of the CBD... Sx

Guest the Tews

Hi

We are flying on the 29th dec and going to the north! around golden grove / mawson lakes and surrounding burbs. Good luck with the job and rental search. Maybe we could meet up when we eventually get there?

Andrea :smile:

Guest Coopers

Hi, my family moved to Adelaide on the 29 October and we live in tea tree gully. Any one fancy a meet up ? I have two sons Ben 11 and Bailey 7. So if you have kids the boys would love to play too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope things are going well for you. Once you settle in at work you will feel heaps better. Semaphore is a great place to wander around - loads of cafes. West Lakes Mall is also a great spot. Most kids I know in this area have their photo taken with Santa up at the Mall.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we arrived beginning of Dec and I know what you mean with head spinning...! Am lucky (I think) to be staying with hubbys family near Playford temporarily, then going to Modbury Heights area when we've got a house deposit saved. We have boy 5 and girl of 2, and no friends as such at the moment. Am hopefully sorting out part-time work (as English tutor) in New Year and Mr works on the gas mains full-time, so lots free days at the moment with my in-laws, need I say more.

Send me a message if you'd like to meet up, I've got transport and I'll give you my mobile to arrange if you're interested.

Kylie (37, with Andy 41 and Jack and Hope)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, my family and I have been in Adelaide just over two years now. Up until Christmas we actually lived in Mawson Lakes, however, we have since moved into our own property further north. There are lots of playgroups around Mawson Lakes which will be good for meeting other mums (Australian mums too which is good). I went to a lovely group at Ingle Farm. I have two children Harry is 3.5 years and Reuben is 1.5 years. They keep me very busy!

I hope you have enjoyed your first Christmas in Australia and are now a little more settled. It takes time but it is sooooooo worth it :)

Take care,

Alison

Guest guest9403

Welcome to Adelaide...we r here 3 mths now and still finding our feet.We live in Golden Grove and although its a lovelly house and nice area id like to move once yr lease is up,thats de beauty of renting and sussing out different areas,ideally wud luv to be closer to de beach so hopefully will move to Henley beach later in de yr.Suppose i jus want to live de dream...lol...christmas was very hard for me especially i missed my family at home so much,but its early days and hopefully now wen de new school yr starts ill settle a bit better.We also have a Ruby (4) so a meet up is good lots of nice playgrounds and parks around!!

Guest SusieOR

We r having a birthday party for our 2 daughters - caoife is 3 nd kiara is 1 also another girl Freya who will be 5... its at 11.30am on sat 21st at Brighton beach play ground... at the end of wattle AV... there r a few families coming nd we don't know all of them! So dont worry about not knowing people... we r using it as a bit of a get together... BBQ... play... nd chat... feel free to join us if u want to meet up... people from all around coming from henleybeach to port noarl...