Anyone emigrating in next few months living in South East England fancy meeting up?

Guest keith&ju

Guest keith&ju

We live in Brighton, East Sussex and are planning on emigrating to Adelaide hopefully around April 2012. Is there anyone who would like to meet up for a chat and and swap notes? We are feeling really overwhelmed with all the planning and it would be good to chat to someone else in the same position.....

Guest guest7008

hello - we from Hampshire - not too far (ish) i think!! We too are going over April 2011 - 23rd to be exact !! St Georges Day lol x Be great to chat etc if you ever in our neck of the woods!! Mind you there quite a few of us.....

Hi Keith & Ju

We are in the same boat as you, we live in Horley, Surrey and we plan to go over for good around May next year. We have just got back from Adelaide after getting our visa validated in October.

You sound like youngsters compared to us, we're ol'farts (50 years old). Still if we can be of any asistance, just let us know. Ironically we are looking at living in the Brighton area, as the beaches are beautiful there. If not we also like the Hallet Cove area, we've seen a plot of land that could be interesting.

Anyway, thought we'd get in touch.

Regards Russell & Helen

Guest leeannekays

We are emigrating April 25th 2012, we Have a 4 week rental booked then hoping to get something long term in Port Noarlunga as we are keen for our 6 year old on to start school there. Our house is up for sale at the moment. I keep going through mixed Ferlinghetti and feel like there's sooooooooo much to do.

Leeanne

Hi Guys

We are originally from Fleet in Hampshire been here since 2007, I'm going back to the UK late Feb for a few weeks to visit family so if your having a meet up will be more than happy to join you!!!

Trust me its worth all the hard work to get here!!!

Take care

Kim

x

Hi everyone,

We emigrated to Adelaide in October this year, so have been here for about a month. We were originally from Surrey but had been living in Eastbourne East Sussex since 2001. Would be lovely to meet up once your here, in the mean time if i can be of any assistance please dont hesitate to ask.

Teresa

Guest guest7008

oh Teresa you may regret offering your assistance !! Whilst I on here.....do you know of any good reliable mini bus people that we can arrange to pick us up from the airport? Needs to be a large minibus as 8 of us plus a whole heap of luggage!! also car hire....dunno where to start...need to hire an 8 seater and am hoping we can have it delivered to our rental - do you know any good hire car people?? They are my 2 sticking points at the mo!! also...(sorry!!) how easy is it to get sim cards for mobiles once we arrive.....so many things to do...... lol x

[QUOTE=helenrimmer;208890]oh Teresa you may regret offering your assistance !! Whilst I on here.....do you know of any good reliable mini bus people that we can arrange to pick us up from the airport? Needs to be a large minibus as 8 of us plus a whole heap of luggage!! also car hire....dunno where to start...need to hire an 8 seater and am hoping we can have it delivered to our rental - do you know any good hire car people?? They are my 2 sticking points at the mo!! also...(sorry!!) how easy is it to get sim cards for mobiles once we arrive.....so many things to do...... lol x[/quote]

Hi Helen - have just replied to your email - I cant help with mini-bus hire......but Sim cards are easy to pick up from local store - so no worries.

Sarahx

Guest keith&ju

Thanks Teresa... watch out for all the questions heading your way!

Helen I got a sim card for my mobile when I was last in Aus - just go into a phone shop and pick one up. As I still have credit on it to use up, I even used my Aus mobile when I went on hols to Turkey this summer to text home. I did notice though that when we travelled around the state, I got more reception from Telstra on my UK contract phone than I did with the Aus Vodafone sim card I bought for my spare phone so worth investigating which mobile companies offer more coverage depending on whereabouts you settle......

Hi Keith and Ju

We are from Plumpton but Brighton born and lived there for 34 years and are going in April next year. Things are starting to seem very real now and house almost sold just with solicitors so fingers crossed all going well. We have two daughters so looking at schools and hoping to live in the Port Noalunga area which is where we have a short term lease when we arrive. If there is any information we can help with we will be happy to. Good luck with your plans and remain calm as much as possible it will be ok.

Hi Helen,

When we arrived we got a car rental from Hertz - dont suppose this was the cheapest way of doing things but they did give us an upgrade for free because the remote central locking wasnt working. I saw that you have the mini bus sorted. We ended up getting telstra sims for our phones just because it was the nearest shop to us at the time. I have since been advised that Telstra have the best coverage in Adelaide. One thing to be aware of is when you recharge your sim you will need to make sure you get a bonus pack. 1st time i did this online i only went for $20, and my calls to other telstra mobiles were costing me $1 per minute. For $30 you get a bonus pack which gives you an additional $250 credit.

Also, UK baby car chairs are no good over here, just bear that in mind if you need one. Another great tip is to remember to bring proof of your NCD from your existing car because you can use that over here when you buy car insurance.

Hope some of this is helpful to you. And ps., i read all the posts about how expensive towels, bedding and furniture is, but thought it couldnt really be that bad. It is expensive, bring as much stuff as possible. xx

Guest bidsandrew
oh Teresa you may regret offering your assistance !! Whilst I on here.....do you know of any good reliable mini bus people that we can arrange to pick us up from the airport? Needs to be a large minibus as 8 of us plus a whole heap of luggage!! also car hire....dunno where to start...need to hire an 8 seater and am hoping we can have it delivered to our rental - do you know any good hire car people?? They are my 2 sticking points at the mo!! also...(sorry!!) how easy is it to get sim cards for mobiles once we arrive.....so many things to do...... lol x

Hi Helen, how are things with you? I hear you have accepted an offer on your house, congrats!! Im so sorry I havent been in touch, things have been manic!! Well, we are here and loving what we are seeing. We have been here two weeks today although it feels like we have been here alot longer!! We have secured a long term rental, bought a car and our eldest son started school today at Port Noarlunga Primary. Unfortunatly I cant offer any advice on car hire or pickup from the airport as the people that helped us prob cant accomodate all 8 of you plus luggage!! Getting a sim card for your mobiles is really easy though. We went with telstra as we are further down south and were told that the coverage was better with them. We went into the shop, bought a sim card and that was that! We also got a dongle for our computer as we knew we wouldnt be able to live without the internet, especially with looking for houses, cars, schools, jobs etc etc... On our first day here we sorted out Bank accounts, sim cards and a dongle in the CBD. the rest just followed although we did spend an awful lot of time looking into areas, driving around them and looking at properties. that has been our main focus for the first couple of weeks. It will be great to meet up when you arrive - when do you fly out? One thing I can say is dont worry yourself to much before you get here as everything will work out and somehow it does all fit into place! I was so worried about so many things before we got here, timing of things, long term rentals, cars, schools, and so many other things but somehow it just does work out. take one day at a time when you get here and you will be fine!! We just need to sort out jobs now and everything will be dandy! Let me know if you need any other advice and if I can help I will. Again im sorry for never meeting up but thank you for all your messages. P.s our UK mobiles are no longer active so use this forum if you want to contact me or I can send you our Aus mobile numbers if you need them. have a good Xmas and hopefully see you in the new year.

Guest Barney Rubble
Hi Guys

We are originally from Fleet in Hampshire been here since 2007, I'm going back to the UK late Feb for a few weeks to visit family so if your having a meet up will be more than happy to join you!!!

Trust me its worth all the hard work to get here!!!

Take care

Kim

x

:cool: Was there 3 weeks ago !

Stayed on Fleet road in Cove at Mum and Dad's.

Been here a bit longer though . . . . 1988.

Got to ask, who you flying back with ?

Went with Virgin Atlantic (6/10) so have done practically all of them now