Arriving soon

Guest SDCB

Hi

I am moving to adelaide in 7 weeks, only just confirmed so its going to be a mad rush to pack up the house and get out there.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on playgroups and activities i should take them too so they can make friends quickly.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi

I am moving to adelaide in 7 weeks, only just confirmed so its going to be a mad rush to pack up the house and get out there.

I have a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son and was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on playgroups and activities i should take them too so they can make friends quickly.

Thanks

Sarah

Hi, we arrived a couple of months ago with a 5 y/o and a 3 y/o. There are loads of things here for young children, that's one of many plusses of living here. Our two have already done loads of activities that they would never of done back in the UK.

To get replies detailing specific playgroups etc, you will need to say roughly what area you are looking to live in. Like 'Sharons Dream', we are down south, but in Seaford Meadows.

Paul

Hi Sharons dream

We are arriving either 17th or 23rd january, still have not booked flights as only just confirmed job offer for my husband to start work 1st feb.

It's all a bit of a rush really and we have no idea which area we will end up staying but are booking a short term rental for the first 6 weeks and then will sort something more permanent when we arrive.

It's good to see there are other people from the uk in a similar position to us, we will probably go to the beach meet up in feb so might see you there.

sarah

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Standrings

Hi Sarah

We are arriving on January 31st and I have a 3 year old daughter and my son will be 5 months by then. Will be great to meet up if you fancy it?

Cheers Emma

Hi Emma

Sounds like a great idea, would be lovely for my daughter Isabelle to see someone the same age when we get there.

We are waiting for are 457 visa to come through so still haven't booked flights but all being well my husband starts work 1st feb so should be arriving about the same time as you.

Where are you living when you arrive?

We are planning on staying close to the city for a few weeks and then looking at longer term options once we get there.

Sarah

Guest The Standrings

Hi

We are staying in Warradale for the first 3 weeks and during that time we will look for longer term options, I am unsure yet where i suppose it depends on budget and availability. We are coming on a 176 PR visa, so Darren (Electrician) has got to find a job, fingers crossed that will happen quickly! I will PM your my email address so we can keep in touch, Amelia would love a new friend (and I wouldnt mind one too!) it will be a relief to know our children can make friends and get settled!

Em

x

Hi Sarah

We are arriving on January 31st and I have a 3 year old daughter and my son will be 5 months by then. Will be great to meet up if you fancy it?

Cheers Emma

Hi Emma & Darren, small world I was a spark for a company in Milnrow a few years ago, we are landing 26th Jan staying just next to CBD. may be worth me and Darren geting together. Dont know how much you know about Adelaide, or if you have jobs yet, cant do any harm though.

Jay/Darren if you fancy a sparkies meet up let me know. We are landing on the 9th and I start my peer exam week on the 17th and would like to meet up with some fellow sparkies.

That sounds fab Chris, were staying in a motel in Unley just south of CBD when we arrive, You can get set up, go through all the rough, then make it easy for us lol. only joking pal. Cant wait, have you been back since 2009? we was over may this year, I visited a couple of contractors, they seemed pretty keen. Everybody ive spoke to over there not all are not on this forum, have said things are looking up, a boom on the horizon !!

That sounds fab Chris, were staying in a motel in Unley just south of CBD when we arrive, You can get set up, go through all the rough, then make it easy for us lol. only joking pal. Cant wait, have you been back since 2009? we was over may this year, I visited a couple of contractors, they seemed pretty keen. Everybody ive spoke to over there not all are not on this forum, have said things are looking up, a boom on the horizon !!

No not been back since 2009 but from what I have heard not to much trouble getting work once you get your A class. Are you going down the ARTC/PEER route or sticking with vets and doing the trades assistants route ?

no way, not spent the last 25 years here as a spark, run my own company to become someones laccy lol... however I have a few strings to my bow and therefore nothing is set in stone so to speak. but no I will be on that course or doing the aussy spec soon as..

Im going to take it easy for a few weeks, dont want to rush straight into what ive just left here.. my pal here has a bit of a internet business here, he wants to move over there so Im thinking that may be a olive branch for us. Marie is going straight into Uni Sa anyway, so she needs soft landing. be cool to gang up and

see whats what though Chris. busy selling our life's collection on ebay at the moment how about you?

Life's collection is sold. We have 15 boxes just about to leave Southampton and 1 way tickets booked for the 7th. Nervous but excited. Just want to get the wiring regs out of the way and get my A class, then I will contact employers. Must admit though I fancy a career change but I do that every 10 years or so. 9 in the army, 11 as a sparks and getting itchy feet again.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gandylinger
Hi

We are staying in Warradale for the first 3 weeks and during that time we will look for longer term options, I am unsure yet where i suppose it depends on budget and availability. We are coming on a 176 PR visa, so Darren (Electrician) has got to find a job, fingers crossed that will happen quickly! I will PM your my email address so we can keep in touch, Amelia would love a new friend (and I wouldnt mind one too!) it will be a relief to know our children can make friends and get settled!

Em

x

Hi Emma, Ive just seen your post saying your staying in Warradale, we are thinking of this area too, in March this year, im trying to find out about the area a bit more, what do you think? Were just getting things finalised now, we are coming with 3 children 5, 4 and 4mnths ahhhhh the flight is going to be fun but sure it will be worth it, just wondered what you knew about the area, seems ok, n have you considered school, I believe there is one called Brighton Primary school in the area? Siobhain x

Guest The Standrings
Jay/Darren if you fancy a sparkies meet up let me know. We are landing on the 9th and I start my peer exam week on the 17th and would like to meet up with some fellow sparkies.

Chris/Jay that sounds like a plan, defo up for a sparkie meet up. im working through that blinking peers workbook at the min im not feeling it.

where did you work jay? hope your gonna leave some work for us two chris. ha. cant wait to get out there! be nice to meet some lads emma does not appreciate drills and hand tools

see you both soon

darren

Hi Sarah, I guess you have arrived now, or are just about to. I know of lots of playgroups around the Mawson Lakes area, so it really depends on where you move to. I too have children of the same age (3.5 and 1.5 years). I found lots of groups that accommodated the ages of both my children so that none of them got bored.

If you need any suggestions just let me know.

Take care

Alison

Guest The Standrings
Hi Emma, Ive just seen your post saying your staying in Warradale, we are thinking of this area too, in March this year, im trying to find out about the area a bit more, what do you think? Were just getting things finalised now, we are coming with 3 children 5, 4 and 4mnths ahhhhh the flight is going to be fun but sure it will be worth it, just wondered what you knew about the area, seems ok, n have you considered school, I believe there is one called Brighton Primary school in the area? Siobhain x

Hi Siobhain

Sorry I am only just replying I missed your post! Warradale seems nice, someone I know has just arrived there and says where she is staying is 10mins walk from the beach if that, 5 mins from the train station and 25 mins from Adelaide, so seems like a perfect location!!Im sure the schools are nice, I think there is actually a Warradale primary as well although I could be wrong! I know I am dreading the flights, partly because I am scared of flying too, great combination a 5 month old, a 3 year old, a plane and me!! ha ha!! I dont envy you having one extra!! I can let you know what I think when we arrive if you like, although I know you will be there only a month after us!! Are you thinking of working?? x x

Guest gandylinger

Hi Emma, sounds great, please do keep me posted on your arrival and if you like the area, thanks. Were just in the process of finalising the sale of the house, waiting to exchange but desperate to book shipping company and accomadation but too scared dont wanna jinx it, whats your plans? R u going into furnished rental initially? Its difficult with children isnt it because you cant just manage. Ive got a friend whos a teacher from Blackwood (hills) and she has highly recommended the schools in this area although your kids are not ready yet but still good to know. I will be looking to work to keep me busy although the kids do I still like my own life, if u know what I mean, thinking of teaching assistant in schools if childcare is affordable otherwise just a little shop for now, what about you? Maybe if we stay in touch we will cu on the beach lol, cant wait now, ru all ready now? xxx