Any meet ups in Hallett Cove?

Guest jlr248

Hi peeps. At last! After an anxious rollercoaster over the last few years we are finally here. We have just moved into a rental in Hallett Cove after spending a few weeks with friends in North Haven. Only managed to get the kids in school for just over a week before the hols which wasnt ideal but hope they have met one or two people. I didnt realise year 9 broke up so early, had expected another week or 2 for them to settle. but hey ho such is life. OH started a job yesterday which is such a relief as outr money has been going ourt at a rate of knots! Everything costs so much, even things you think you have already paid for (ie OH plumbing skills recognition in UK??? what is that all about?). Still no work for me as Im a teaching assistant and am still waiting for my DECs number but fingers crossed it wont be too long. I had hoped to get some seasonal work to tide me over but seems all the students have bagged those already. Guess I'll just have to lie in the sun...Can't wait for our container to turn up. No furniture, no tv, internet or phone, no washing machine or bed...how we take all these for granted. Never mind they should soon be here. Hope we can get internet sorted out. No one mentioned that Hallett was a problem connection area, my kids are climbing the walls. Thank god for Hallett library keeping us on line!

Can anyone tell me how to find out what is going on in the area socially or if there are any meetups. No doubt we will call in the Cove tavern this weekend but I wonder if there area other things around or ways of meeting up with potential friends. Its very wierd not knowing anyone, I wasnt prepared for how alien everything feels at the moment. Suppose its very early days and will get better when i get a job. Any info, advice or opportuntiy to chat would be welcome. Look forward to hearing from you. ttfn Jane

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I feel so similar to you. We arrived in Adelaide 14 Nov and will be in Hallett Cove from around 16th Jan. Our feet are starting to touch the ground finally. Only just beginning to know where to buy things and how to get from A to B. You would be so welcome to pop round for a coffee once we have moved in. Like you, our container has yet to turn up. I'm hoping kids will be a lot more settled once their things arrive otherwise it will be a long long summer. They haven't been at school so have yet to meet any other kids. I really thought they would appreciate the extended holiday but my oldest has been begging to go to school! Trying hard to keep them amused while sorting out rentals, TFNs etc - not easy!

I started a thread on meeting other peeps in Hallett Cove a week or so ago - you may want to have a look.

I wont be working until after the children go back to school so have lots of time on my hands!

Sarah

Hi Jane know who you feel we are in hallett cove , we have 2 girls 13yrs 14yrs they break up from school today, although they have met poeple at school they havent got round to asking for phone numbers a little shy.We moved in on the 31st october and also had no furniture which is very hard.We know no one so would love to bet up. you can send me a pm which would be nice.

Kelly

Jane,

Santa Claus is buying the kids a big TV for Xmas - the old one will be redundant on Xmas Day. Do you want it to tide you over? Can drop it off if you want on Boxing Day.

Cheers,

Tony (Happy Valley)

Thanks so much for the offer of your TV Tony. I dont think we will need it as our container landed on 7th Dec and is due to be delivered on 20th, all being well. Saying that i may be in touch to take up your offer if anything goes horribly wrong. Have a great Christmas. Jane

Hi Jane know who you feel we are in hallett cove , we have 2 girls 13yrs 14yrs they break up from school today, although they have met poeple at school they havent got round to asking for phone numbers a little shy.We moved in on the 31st october and also had no furniture which is very hard.We know no one so would love to bet up. you can send me a pm which would be nice.

Kelly

Hi Kelly, Sounds like we are in the same boat Kelly. We landed 28th October but have only just moved into our rental in Hallett. Our girls are both 14, just finished year 9. They spent a week at Hallett but have only met one or two people. I will try and pm you but i havent done it before so not sure where to start. It would be lovely to meet up with you. Will try am pm you now. Hope to see you soon. Jane

Hi

I feel so similar to you. We arrived in Adelaide 14 Nov and will be in Hallett Cove from around 16th Jan. Our feet are starting to touch the ground finally. Only just beginning to know where to buy things and how to get from A to B. You would be so welcome to pop round for a coffee once we have moved in. Like you, our container has yet to turn up. I'm hoping kids will be a lot more settled once their things arrive otherwise it will be a long long summer. They haven't been at school so have yet to meet any other kids. I really thought they would appreciate the extended holiday but my oldest has been begging to go to school! Trying hard to keep them amused while sorting out rentals, TFNs etc - not easy!

I started a thread on meeting other peeps in Hallett Cove a week or so ago - you may want to have a look.

I wont be working until after the children go back to school so have lots of time on my hands!

Sarah

Hi Sarah. it seems there are a few of us in the same boat. It's harder than you realise this emigrating lark isnt it? pm me when you move to Hallett, I too will have time on my hands as im not starting work until next term so would be lovely to meet up for chat. Im sure you little ones will be fine, all they need is a paddling pool and they will be happy. My two are a bit older and harder to please but im hoping a paddling pool will sort them out too haha, or as you say, it will be a very long summer! Enjoy your first Christmas in Oz. Are you staying with friends? Keep in touch. Jane

Hi There

Sounds like there are a lot of us newbies about at the mo, we only arrived at the end of Oct and just got all our worldy goods back!! If you need a TV we have a spare one we got from EBAY when we first arrived and ADAM are good for internet if you still need a provider. I still only really know one person here in Hallett Cove so if anyone wants to PM me feel free, it would be great to meet some more people, I also have a son of 13 who also only knows a few kids so he is happy to make friends anywhere he can :wink:

Hope you are settling in slowly xx

Kay

Guest Michelle & Gavin

Hi All, there does seem to be a few of us newbies. We moved into rented accommodation in Hallett Cove about 4 weeks ago. Both my kids attend the Hallett Cove R-12. My Daughter is 14 and I have a 5 year old son. I would be more than happy to arrange a Barbie at my house so we can all meet each other have a chat a beer or glass of wine and let our kids meet each other? The kids can play on on the wii, watch a movie or if the weather is nice have a swim in the pool? If anyone thinks this is a good idea please pm me. I can arrange this for this for maybe this weekend coming? If not I am happy to meet up and have a chat :)

Michelle (34), Gavin (42), Sammie (14) Charlie (5) Sandie - Maltese xs Jack Russell (11 weeks)

Jane

Will definitely PM you when we move in. We are over near the West Lakes shopping centre at the moment. Our arrival was so last minute we literally took the first accommodation we could get. Lovely house but just in the wrong area for us which is a shame as they asked if we wanted to stay on. We are not with friends - we know no one. Hoping that will change soon.

A visit to Hallett Cove library today saw us leaving with a large bundle of toys, DVDs and books to rival Father Christmas. Well worth a visit for anyone waiting for a container to show up. You are right about the paddling pool. That will be my next purchase! x

Guest Michelle & Gavin

Hi Sarah

Happy to have a bbq on Saturday afternoon. Does 3pm sound OK. We will provide food if you bring your own booze. The forecast is for it to be warm with some scattered thunder storms. If it rains we can go inside.

Any of the other new arrivals interested? Good chance to catch up with new friends.

Michelle

Hi Sarah

Happy to have a bbq on Saturday afternoon. Does 3pm sound OK. We will provide food if you bring your own booze. The forecast is for it to be warm with some scattered thunder storms. If it rains we can go inside.

Any of the other new arrivals interested? Good chance to catch up with new friends.

Michelle

Hi Michelle

hope this isnt too cheeky, just reading through this post. We have been here - in brighton then glengowrie for about a month now. My oh, and two kids - charlotte 11, and joel 2.5. I was sitting here today feeling a little bit lonely. Although we have been going to playgroup we havent exchanged numbers with anyone yet. Would we be able to come to your BBQ - can certainly bring some booze ;)

Teresa

Hi Jane, congratulations on making the big move to Oz, My husband & i with our 4 children plan to start the process in january. Just wondering from your post if ye have taken much of your furniture, especially your beds with ye. All these questions running thru my head as im sure you have experienced. I thought maybe i would purchase these when we get there, or is it too expensive? Thanks for taking the time to read this and i luck foward to your reply. Hope your container arrives soon, Kathy

Guest Michelle & Gavin

Hi Teresa,

Absolutely! You’re more than welcome to come along. I will send you a pm later today with our address and phone number when I can figure out how to do it as I am fairly new to this site.

Michelle

Hi Jane, congratulations on making the big move to Oz, My husband & i with our 4 children plan to start the process in january. Just wondering from your post if ye have taken much of your furniture, especially your beds with ye. All these questions running thru my head as im sure you have experienced. I thought maybe i would purchase these when we get there, or is it too expensive? Thanks for taking the time to read this and i luck foward to your reply. Hope your container arrives soon, Kathy

Hi Kathy, We brought absolutely everything but havent got it yet. Cant wait for it to turn up. Guess it depends how much you have. We filled a 20 ft container to the rafters and im glad we did as we soon be out of money here if we had to start replacing everything. Bring what you can, you will be surprised how good it will feel to have some familiar stuff around you (or so im told as we are still wating for ours). Do you know where you are staying yet? Hope to see you when you land. Jane

Jane

Will definitely PM you when we move in. We are over near the West Lakes shopping centre at the moment. Our arrival was so last minute we literally took the first accommodation we could get. Lovely house but just in the wrong area for us which is a shame as they asked if we wanted to stay on. We are not with friends - we know no one. Hoping that will change soon.

A visit to Hallett Cove library today saw us leaving with a large bundle of toys, DVDs and books to rival Father Christmas. Well worth a visit for anyone waiting for a container to show up. You are right about the paddling pool. That will be my next purchase! x

What time were you in the library? I think i may have seen you with your boys while i was tapping away on the pc. I was there around 11 -1.

Hi jane

sent you pm not sure if you got it tried to ring the number you gave me but said not working?

Michelle your daughter is in the same year as my daughter, what class is shegoing to be in next year?

We should all meet up soon so all the girls can get to no each other in the school holiday, my to are a little shy.

Kelly

Guest Michelle & Gavin

Hi Kelly,

She doesn’t know but she will be in year 9. What about your daughter does she know what class she will be in?

We are arranging a Barbie at my house this weekend if you want to come?

Let me know and I will send a pm with our address and phone number.

Michelle

Hi Michell

Emily will also be in year 9 she is not to sure which class i thought she new but that my other daughter Alice she is going into year 8.Will get back to you on the barbie have not started christmas shopping yet all up in the air this year, normal all sorted by now

Cheers Kelly

Hi peeps. At last! After an anxious rollercoaster over the last few years we are finally here. We have just moved into a rental in Hallett Cove after spending a few weeks with friends in North Haven. Only managed to get the kids in school for just over a week before the hols which wasnt ideal but hope they have met one or two people. I didnt realise year 9 broke up so early, had expected another week or 2 for them to settle. but hey ho such is life. OH started a job yesterday which is such a relief as outr money has been going ourt at a rate of knots! Everything costs so much, even things you think you have already paid for (ie OH plumbing skills recognition in UK??? what is that all about?). Still no work for me as Im a teaching assistant and am still waiting for my DECs number but fingers crossed it wont be too long. I had hoped to get some seasonal work to tide me over but seems all the students have bagged those already. Guess I'll just have to lie in the sun...Can't wait for our container to turn up. No furniture, no tv, internet or phone, no washing machine or bed...how we take all these for granted. Never mind they should soon be here. Hope we can get internet sorted out. No one mentioned that Hallett was a problem connection area, my kids are climbing the walls. Thank god for Hallett library keeping us on line!

Can anyone tell me how to find out what is going on in the area socially or if there are any meetups. No doubt we will call in the Cove tavern this weekend but I wonder if there area other things around or ways of meeting up with potential friends. Its very wierd not knowing anyone, I wasnt prepared for how alien everything feels at the moment. Suppose its very early days and will get better when i get a job. Any info, advice or opportuntiy to chat would be welcome. Look forward to hearing from you. ttfn Jane

Hi Jane and family

We moved to Hallett Cove on Monday and managed to get our kids into Hallett cove east school.

They have been there 4 weeks and have settled well.

We would love to meet up or have a chat on the phone over the hols. We have 3 kids a boy of 10 and 2 girls who are 5.

My husband is a plumber too and i am a nursery assisstant so similar to your situation!

We found the library here a godsend too when we arrived. Our container arrived on Tuesday so have had fun unpacking everything.

Just need to get the xmas tree up now.

Just got broadband and phone connected today with Telstra. Very good.

Pm us if you fancy catching up.

Suzanne & Paul