our first Anzac day

Guest neeks

Many people get up and attend a dawn service at either a local war memorial or the one on North Tce in town. If you go into town , many places are open for breakfast and then the March begins about 9 - 9.30. The march follows the route down King william St to the Memorial gardens in front of the Cathedral in North Tce. A remembrance service is held here about 1130 once all involved in the march have reached there. The march is also on TV. Over the years attending the dawn services has increased in popularity amongst the younger generations as they have realised it's not a glorification of Victors of war but recognising that young people their age went to serve for their country and what they believed in at the time and so many just never came back. Anzac day is a way of remembering those who the oldies served with and didn't make it back and for younger generations to learn what the price of this sacrifice was. In the afternoon, many people have friends round for a bbq, watch the footy on tv and relax like on any other public holiday.

I think poppies are worn too as well as being used in the wreaths etc. Rosemary, my DD informed me, is for remembrance and can be worn in the lapel.

As it happens, the poppy is also found in Turkey. It was flowering when the ANZACS landed at Gallipoli and a valley near the ANZAC beach was called 'Poppy Valley' because there were so many there.

ANZAC Day is very special. I love (if that's the right word) the school assembly because it's right and proper that these brave men be remembered and thanked for all they gave. The fact that kids stay up all night attending vigils or attend the dawn services or march etc is beautiful and humbling.

:notworthy: LC

Guest edd209

Hi Anneka

You guys looking for something to do on Wed then?

We're not sure what we'll get up to yet?

You fancy meeting up this week? (not Wed)

Teresa

Guest ladyarkles

This is going to be a bit strange for me being here on Anzac Day.

I know it's not all about Gallipoli and that there have been other wars and losses but this slight shift of focus is poignant.

My Great-Grandfather died at Gallipoli, he wasn't an ANZAC but in the Royal Ulster Rifles as an older staff sergeant.

It just seems like a kind of symmetry that I can be with others who lost family in this particular conflict.

In the UK, Gallipoli is a "film with Mel Gibson" and this day will feel kind of strange for me.

We are hoping to go to the service here in Glenelg, they are starting at 6am in Mosely Sq then marching down Colley Terrace.

Rachel

Guest Bocco's

It's our first Anzac Day too, not sure what to do, would like to go and see the march. No car yet, so will have to see if buses are still running. Union Hotel sounds good :rolleyes: