Book group anyone?

I was lucky enough to be part of an amazing book group back in the uk and would love to be part of one again! The library organised one I tried was way too intense - I'm thinking more read a book, get together and chat about it and then gossip! It would prob be a weekday evening and we can decide location based on who is interested and where they live :) I'm pretty central so I'm not fussed!

Any takers??!

Guest BrianS

You seen the cost of books here?

Would love to join something like this but $30+ a week / fortnight/ month is quite a chunk if the book is s**t

You seen the cost of books here?

Would love to join something like this but $30+ a week / fortnight/ month is quite a chunk if the book is s**t

Isn't that what libraries are for?

I love the idea of a book club, but I'm not going to be in Oz until July 20th. We're hoping to find somewhere to live in Rostrever, although we'll be at my mother-in-laws in St Morris for the first two or three weeks. If it takes off and you're meeting not too far away I'd love to join you.

Nicola

Any excuse to moan for some people eh Brian! Yes new books are expensive but the libraries are very good and so are the second hand book stores. Take your miserable attitude to someone else's thread!

Thanks to everyone else I will keep you posted if we get things up and running :) good luck with the big move! :D

Well everyone seems to in the southern burbs so that makes location easy! How about somewhere halfway between goodwood and port noarlunga (two furthest points!) that would be around Christies beach? I'm not really familiar with cafes down that way so any suggestions? Must have good coffee and be open in the evenings! :)

Guest Terri

Hi, I used to be part of one in Sydney before I moved here. Would live to join. I am in Willunga.

Look forward to getting some reading inspiration and catching up.

Cheers Terri.

Guest becky c

Hi,

I live in Aldinga and would love to join a book group. The only ones I've seen have been during the day so no good for me as I work, so a weekday evening would be perfect.

Please keep me in the loop!

Thanks,

Bec:wubclub:

• 1 month later...

Well everyone seems to in the southern burbs so that makes location easy! How about somewhere halfway between goodwood and port noarlunga (two furthest points!) that would be around Christies beach? I'm not really familiar with cafes down that way so any suggestions? Must have good coffee and be open in the evenings! :)

Christies Beach sounds like a perfect location to meet in the middle... I'm not really sure on good coffee shops there but maybe for the first one we could always meet up around macdonalds or somewhere in the colonnades? (not my favorite place but they have loads of food stops)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I can plug my friend's second hand book shop in Glenelg South called 'Mockingbird Lounge' on Broadway - a terrific place to come, browse and read. Plus you can get coffee, cake and snacks. Lots of little groups have been set up here including a book club - but you would have to ask in the shop. Just to say though that the shop is closed until the 31st July whilst Stacey the owner is on holiday. But worth a look!

Michael

• 1 month later...

I live in happy Valley and would love to be included in the book club. I work full time in the city so a week night would be great. Let me know details and I'll be there. Great idea.

Jules

Guest Katesaville

Thanks for your interest. I'll see if anyone else replies over the weekend from the original group and if not, perhaps we can start something new...

Hope to meet you soon!

Kate