Any UK vets working in Adelaide?

Guest rharvey

Guest rharvey

Hiya, I'm a new grad vet coming over from the UK to start work in Adelaide Hills, just wondered if there are any other UK vets working in Adelaide that could give me an insight as to what it is like?! Many Thanks

• 3 months later...

There is a vet we take our cats to see (when they let us). The owner is Dr Derek McNair, from Scotland - I can't see he has his own website though but this is his details http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/parade-norwood-veterinary-clinic-norwood I don't think he does a lot of the hands on stuff himself these days and has a few vets working for him - who are all good. He is also a bit of a celebrity - heard him give advice on the radio a few times. He's been in Adelaide for a long time and he is a really nice fellow and the other vets working there are excellent. I started taking my cats to him back in 1996.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there,

My husband and I are moving over in March next year. We're both vets and he already has a job but I will be looking to do small animal locum work initially. Are you over there now? How are you getting on?

Emma

Hi I work at and manage a small animal practice in Blackwood called Hills Veterinary centre. Iam a Glasgow graduate and have lived and worked here for 6 years. We sometimes need locums so let me know when you're arriving in case we have anything available. You are welcome to ring me for a chat at work if you want. Jane

Guest rharvey

Hi Emma - hope your plans for coming out here are going well. Where abouts in South Australia will you be working/living? I'm up in the Adelaide Hills its a lovely place and have settled in well. I am came over at the beginning of september and started work a couple of weeks later. Really enjoying living and working over here so far, the weather is starting to get hot now and I'm definitely feeling it when out and about in the middle of the day (I work in a mixed practice) but think thats something you just get used to.

Hi lippy - yes I met her at an equine talk the other weekend, great to meet other brits doing the same job :-)

Hi jane - you work in a lovely area, I went to Belair National Park the other weekend which was lovely. I haven't been here that long so still going round doing a bit of sight seeing on my days off.

Hope you are all well

Hi I work at and manage a small animal practice in Blackwood called Hills Veterinary centre. Iam a Glasgow graduate and have lived and worked here for 6 years. We sometimes need locums so let me know when you're arriving in case we have anything available. You are welcome to ring me for a chat at work if you want. Jane

Hi Jane, thankyou for your reply. Both myself and my husband are Glasgow graduates too, I've been qualified 3 and a half years and mike a little longer. He has a job over there that's bringing us across. We'll be arriving at the start of March. I'd love to come meet you when we arrive, I'll definitely give you a call when we get over. I'm working as a locum in Glasgow at the moment. How does personal

insurance work in AUS? I have personal VDS cover over here, is there something similar for locus over there too?

I'm sure we'll get to know all the vets pretty quickly when we arrive, if it's anything like the vet community over here where everyone knows everyone else!

If there's any advice you have before we move I'd really appreciate it. And rharvey, thanks also for your reply, hope you're enjoying it. If you have any tips in advance of the move from your recent experience I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again

Emma

Hi Jane, thankyou for your reply. Both myself and my husband are Glasgow graduates too, I've been qualified 3 and a half years and mike a little longer. He has a job over there that's bringing us across. We'll be arriving at the start of March. I'd love to come meet you when we arrive, I'll definitely give you a call when we get over. I'm working as a locum in Glasgow at the moment. How does personal

insurance work in AUS? I have personal VDS cover over here, is there something similar for locus over there too?

I'm sure we'll get to know all the vets pretty quickly when we arrive, if it's anything like the vet community over here where everyone knows everyone else!

If there's any advice you have before we move I'd really appreciate it. And rharvey, thanks also for your reply, hope you're enjoying it. If you have any tips in advance of the move from your recent experience I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again

Emma

Hi Emma, I'm not sure about personal insurance but I'll check & let you know. I found the transition from UK to SA quite easy. There's not a lot of difference in the small animal work, except of course snake bites which we see a lot of here. Some drugs aren't available here and some have different names but it doesnt take long to get to grips with things. Where is your husbands job?

Jane

hi

hope you get on ok with ur new job, where did u grad from in UK??

am not a vet but uk VN working locally.......if theres anything a vet nurse can help with just let me know.......been qualified (and registered in uk) for 20+ years and working as surgical nurse for small animal practice.

lots of things the same......the thing that caught me a bit were that some of the things that are POM in uk are not here.......and the lack of suppliers......things that we took for granted in the uk but not available here!!!

let me know how you get on!!

kathryn

Guest rharvey

They have the veterinary defence association over here, very similar to the VDS in the uk, I am now a member of them. Yes we are definitely seeing plenty of snake bites now, both brown snakes and red bellies black snakes (my practice keeps plenty of anti venom in the fridge, so imagine they all do). The differences in drug names etc hasn't taken long to get used too

Roxanne