The moment of truth :)

Guest ali

Okay, here it goes! I booked my flight to Adelaide. Will be flying out from Tehran to Doha on the 20th of October then from Doha to Kuala Lumpur and from there will be flying Malaysian to Adelaide. Will reach Adelaide on the 21rst of October at 8 A.M.! Tomorrow I'll book a room in Norwood and then proceed with the bank account, Centrelink, TFN, insurance and so on. In the mean time I'll try to look at some places around the city to secure shared accommodation. If all goes well I'll be job hunting after the first week. I have 3 offers already but they are not jobs to die for. Well, I'll be needing the cash until I get a sense of the city and get enough time and cash to find what feels right for me. I'm excited and can't wait to start a new chapter in my life. Boy has this been a ride I've been anticipating for the past couple of months. I hope Adelaide likes me as I know I will like it.

Thank you people, you made it all so much easier and pleasant.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

If you end up in the city let me know, im only on North Terrace. I'll FB you my number.

Good luck Ali :)

Sure thing Rich. I'm trying my best to find a place in or around the city. I'll text my number once I get one.

Thanks buddy:smile:

Good luck mate,it's now becoming so real hey??

You said it Tyke:smile: I guess that it will all sink in only after a few weeks of me being there. Its all just a bit hazy and my curiosity of the new life I will be living is getting the better of me.:wink:

Cheers and thank you mate,:smile:

Ali

Guest Guest5035
Stevo you never seize to amaze mate:smile: Thank you for the tip:smile:

Ali

funny enough my wife said the same last night when she got her breath back....:biglaugh:

stevo

OK, just to let you all know that I booked a room through Airbnb in Norwood. The apartment is very modern with a good review and the host has been very helpful throughout the process.

Ali

Congratulations, Ali. You seem very keen to get here and I'm sure as you will fit in beautifully.:smile:

Good luck with your final preparations and enjoy the countdown to paradise (unless you're not going there hahaha!)*

:wubclub: LC

* yes, it's a weak joke...you probably realised that the suburb Paradise is north east SA, but if not then there's the explanation! I'm sorry; it's late and I have a strange sense of humour lol.:cute:

Congratulations Ali.....that's really not long at all - the weather is turning warmer too - a really nice time to arrive in Adelaide. Norwood is lovely you will like living there. Good coffee shops (and tea) and a really lively atmosphere and good food places to go out and eat.

Guest USA soon just SA

We too are heading out on October 20, but don't get in until the 22. I guess that is because we are coming from a bit farther away, and heading the other direction. I'm not sure that Adelaide is ready for both of us at the same time, so it is probably best that our arrivals are staggered by a day! Are you going to the get-together in early november, we are wondering if we would be the only non-poms there. I am so excited for you to have your adeventure beginning, and it is a great help to put perspective in this hectic time when the stress of the move too often dislpaces the excitement for us. We look forward to meeting you in person. BTW we too are looking for a place in the city, and not a southern suburb.

Congratulations, Ali. You seem very keen to get here and I'm sure as you will fit in beautifully.:smile:

Good luck with your final preparations and enjoy the countdown to paradise (unless you're not going there hahaha!)*

:wubclub: LC

* yes, it's a weak joke...you probably realised that the suburb Paradise is north east SA, but if not then there's the explanation! I'm sorry; it's late and I have a strange sense of humour lol.:cute:

Not strange at all. Very refreshing stuff LC:smile::wink: Thank you, you guys are and have been a big part of making this journey enjoyable:smile:

Ali

Congratulations Ali.....that's really not long at all - the weather is turning warmer too - a really nice time to arrive in Adelaide. Norwood is lovely you will like living there. Good coffee shops (and tea) and a really lively atmosphere and good food places to go out and eat.

Thank you Kris:smile: I will be staying at a Norwood apartment for 10 days during which I will be looking for a share accommodation somewhere around or inside the city. I will be trading one summer for another:wink: That's gotta keep me going even though I like the odd rain every now and then:smile:

Ali

We too are heading out on October 20, but don't get in until the 22. I guess that is because we are coming from a bit farther away, and heading the other direction. I'm not sure that Adelaide is ready for both of us at the same time, so it is probably best that our arrivals are staggered by a day! Are you going to the get-together in early november, we are wondering if we would be the only non-poms there. I am so excited for you to have your adeventure beginning, and it is a great help to put perspective in this hectic time when the stress of the move too often dislpaces the excitement for us. We look forward to meeting you in person. BTW we too are looking for a place in the city, and not a southern suburb.

Oh I'm arriving a day earlier to prepare the 'home coming party' for you guys:smile: Yes, it all seems so real and strangely surreal at the same time now. I will have to check the meet in November and I'd love to be there. :smile:I'd love to meet with you guys as well. Where abouts the city are you looking at? The number of proper shared accommodation is shrinking by the day but there are still some decent places that I'd like to look at when I arrive.

Keep on smiling and good luck with the move:smile:

Ali

Guest USA soon just SA

We were able to get a 2 week rental from Kris at Margarita rentals (the one in glandore), haven't seen any reviews of them here, so maybe I will be getting some new intel for future PIA'ers. We likely had slightly different needs than you, and decided on Blackwood/eden hills as our destination, mainly due to the proximity to the school we wanted our daughters to attend. Although it is not assigned to a catchment area, we want to be able to walk the kids to and from school, and be present in school activities to help integrate into the community. Recently I have heard a few good comments on here about the hills and blackwood areas being nice and friendly for families, so we are excited that by mere happenstance we have found a good suburb. Now its just a matter finding a rental that is available in the 2 weeks we have to find one-AAAAARGH! I am sure that by being in a shared accomodation setting, you will be plenty motivated to find the right kind of place quickly. I am sure that we will both be looking on the same sites, but if you want to PM me with your e-mail and what you are looking for, we will pass along any gems that we come accross that fit your requirements. 2 weeks from this moment we will still be in the air, but you should be just about arriving:swoon:.

Edited by USA soon just SA
added temp-rental location

We were able to get a 2 week rental from Kris at Margarita rentals (the one in glandore), haven't seen any reviews of them here, so maybe I will be getting some new intel for future PIA'ers. We likely had slightly different needs than you, and decided on Blackwood/eden hills as our destination, mainly due to the proximity to the school we wanted our daughters to attend. Although it is not assigned to a catchment area, we want to be able to walk the kids to and from school, and be present in school activities to help integrate into the community. Recently I have heard a few good comments on here about the hills and blackwood areas being nice and friendly for families, so we are excited that by mere happenstance we have found a good suburb. Now its just a matter finding a rental that is available in the 2 weeks we have to find one-AAAAARGH! I am sure that by being in a shared accomodation setting, you will be plenty motivated to find the right kind of place quickly. I am sure that we will both be looking on the same sites, but if you want to PM me with your e-mail and what you are looking for, we will pass along any gems that we come accross that fit your requirements. 2 weeks from this moment we will still be in the air, but you should be just about arriving:swoon:.

Great:smile: Kris sounds like a fine and genuine chap! :smile: I'm sure his services will be exceptional.:smile: You made a good point about being able to walk the children to school. I remember that when I went to school in London sometimes my mom used to walk us to school and I enjoyed those days more. I did a search for you guys on the Blackwood area on realestate.com.au and I will pm you the results. I am sure that you guys will be fine and will find a rental in the first two weeks. :smile:

I guess that I'll stay at a shared accommodation for the first few months as the Iranian Rial has crashed during the past few weeks (like everything else) and the amount of Dollars I was planning to bring has been reduced to one third.:huh: So I won't be able to spend as much as I previously had planned. But its all good and I look forward to it anyway. I just need to be myself, get employed, save a few months and then if I feel that I don't enjoy the whole housemate thing find a suitable rental.:smile: Thank you for always being there and sharing your thoughts and always offering to help even though just like you are about to move to Adelaide. I'm sure that we will cope well and do great things there.:smile:

Ali

P.S. I just checked the meetups and like you said there is one early in October. I will be there for sure as I want to all of you in person.:smile:

Good luck dude, I really hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted!!

Gus! How are you??? Whats happening with you guys? I was wondering about you. Whats going on with the house? When are you flying out? I will keep you informed on what is happening with me. Thank you mate.:smile:

Keep me posted on developments from your part. Hope all is well with you guys.:smile:

Ali

OK I've come to some sort of agreement with the guy I'm renting a room in Norwood for the first 10 days that if I like the place I'll share the house with him and the POM couple staying there after my 10 days are up. What do you guys think of Norwood? :smile:

Ali